Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box

Go down 
+3
mikeinfla
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Fat Freddy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Empty
PostSubject: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 11:56 am

I'm thinking about filling out my Quiet Riot collection and I have my eye on this "Original Album Classics" set at DeepDiscount: Four studio albums (plus a live disc) in one handy dandy little box, for about twenty bucks:

Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box 2848134
http://www.deepdiscount.com/original-album-classics/888750636522

My question to anyone who might own this set is this: as you can see, the box cover art shows the Randy Rhoads lineup (!) of Quiet Riot, and seems to indicate that the set includes "Quiet Riot I," which to the best of my knowledge was and still is a Japan-only release.

HOWEVER, the track listing shown on this site (and several others that I've checked) all show the tracks for the self-titled QR album from 1988, with Paul Shortino on vox, not "Quiet Riot I."

So does this set actually include a Rhoads-era disc, or did Sony's art department screw up cuz they don't know one QR lineup (or one self titled QR album) from another?

Amazon's listing for this set shows a different cover (Kevin with the metal mask in place of the Rhoads era lineup, and the 1988 QR album instead of Quiet Riot I).

Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box 81wSJqqkSxL._SL1500_
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Album-Classics-QUIET-RIOT/dp/B00RVD8D9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492012083&sr=8-1&keywords=quiet+riot+original+album+classics

So I am getting the feeling that wherever I order this set from, I'm gonna get the Shortino album, not the Rhoads one. It doesn't make much diff to me either way, cuz I've never owned either one (tho honestly I think I'd rather hear the Rhoads stuff). I'm just wondering if anyone has either one of the sets pictured and might be able to shed some light.

Thanx

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 2:21 pm

I posted this same question at another forum I frequent and the consensus seems to be that the version with Randy Rhoads on the cover was a preliminary design, which was then replaced by the Dubrow-In-Mask version since Randy's family has decree'd, for whatever reason, that the Quiet Riot albums he played on will never see the light of the day in the Western world.

Soooo, Shortino album it is, then. (shrugs) Case closed, I guess.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 3:47 pm

That Shortino album is my fav QR. But, I am a huge Shortino fanboy, so.....
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 5:02 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
That Shortino album is my fav QR.  But, I am a huge Shortino fanboy, so.....

I only know two songs from it - "Stay With Me Tonight" (which was the single/MTV video) and "King Of The Hill" (which is on a cheapie best-of comp I have called Winners Take All) ... never heard the rest.

...tho I do remember being in a Sam Goody store circa 1988 and overhearing the manager tell an employee to take that album off of the new-release wall because "it's selling like sh*t." Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 5:16 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

...tho I do remember being in a Sam Goody store circa 1988 and overhearing the manager tell an employee to take that album off of the new-release wall because "it's selling like sh*t." Laughing very hard

Like most good music.  Especially the Shortino projects - Rough Cutt, QR, King Kobra, Shortino/JK Northrup, his immensely kick ass solo albums....
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2017 7:10 am

Been a while since i heard any of the Shortino tunes I seem to remember it sounding similar to Whitesnake.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2017 11:23 am

So I finally got a copy of this box set - as expected, it has the Guy In Metal Mask artwork on the cover, not the Rhoads lineup, and the Shortino album, not the Japanese "Quiet Riot I," is inside.  

The discs are nicely packaged in mini-LP style sleeves, I have no complaints. Between this set, my recently purchased copy of Alive And Well and their Extended Versions live disc, I now have pretty much all the Quiet Riot I'm ever gonna need.

...and yes, what little I've heard of the Shortino album thus far does sound like generic-brand Whitesnake. Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
So I finally got a copy of this box set - as expected, it has the Guy In Metal Mask artwork on the cover, not the Rhoads lineup, and the Shortino album, not the Japanese "Quiet Riot I," is inside.  

The discs are nicely packaged in mini-LP style sleeves, I have no complaints. Between this set, my recently purchased copy of Alive And Well and their Extended Versions live disc, I now have pretty much all the Quiet Riot I'm ever gonna need.

...and yes, what little I've heard of the Shortino album thus far does sound like generic-brand Whitesnake. Laughing very hard

Yeah but what about Road Rage to add to your collection? lol!
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2017 4:02 pm

That also reminded me of something. Waaaayyyy back when QR opened for Maiden on the Piece Of Mind tour a friend of mine went to the show and he bought a mask.

Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box S-l225

Must be rare as this is for sale for $215.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quiet-Riot-Plastic-Mask-Original-Promo-Vintage-9x7-5-Halloween-RARE/262632849766
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2017 4:11 pm

mikeinfla wrote:

Yeah but what about Road Rage to add to your collection? lol!

Road Rage comes out the same day as the new Accept. Guess which one wins? Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Go back to Jersey, ya bum.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2017 8:46 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Go back to Jersey, ya bum.

I'm still here. I never left. Razz

Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeWed Jun 21, 2017 7:37 pm

I just bought this with the first Quiet Riot album with Randy. The store had both versions and the one I bought was the cheaper of the two - by ten bucks.

Too busy to give this a good listen until later tonight or tomorrow - but when I saw it I immediately thought of this thread.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeWed Jun 21, 2017 8:30 pm

Thelemech wrote:
I just bought this with the first Quiet Riot album with Randy. The store had both versions and the one I bought was the cheaper of the two - by ten bucks.

Too busy to give this a good listen until later tonight or tomorrow - but when I saw it I immediately thought of this thread.

Waitaminnit ...you're telling me that a version of this set with the Rhoads album in it actually EXISTS? Sum-bitch! (*kicks rock*)

Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeWed Jun 21, 2017 8:38 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Thelemech wrote:

Waitaminnit ...you're telling me that a version of this set with the Rhoads album in it actually EXISTS? Sum-bitch! (*kicks rock*)

Yep it exists - I got it for twenty bucks, and the later version was thirty something. I have looked it up online but I have not found anything about it. Needless to say I thought of you FF and felt bad that you did not snatch up the one you found online. I was really surprised to see it.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeWed Jun 21, 2017 10:43 pm

I just checked the box carefully and saw that it said it was made in the EU specifically Germany. Must be an Import???!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeThu Jun 22, 2017 11:08 am

Thelemech wrote:

Yep it exists - I got it for twenty bucks, and the later version was thirty something. I have looked it up online but I have not found anything about it. Needless to say I thought of you FF and felt bad that you did not snatch up the one you found online. I was really surprised to see it.

Damn, that's crazy. I was under the impression that the artwork w/Rhoads was a pre-release mockup of some kind that was changed prior to release, cuz to the best of my knowledge, Randy's family has never allowed either of his QR albums to be released outside of Japan.

The funny thing is, I ordered it from the place that was using the Rhoads-era cover pic on their site, but I got the Kevin-in-the-mask version!

Quote :
I just checked the box carefully and saw that it said it was made in the EU specifically Germany. Must be an Import???!!

Mine's an import too - it sez it was "Made in the EU" by Sony Music Europe. Must be a later edition.

(shrugs) Ah well, not gonna get all worked up about it. I would've rather had the Rhoads album but I'd never heard the Shortino disc either so when I ordered I was pretty much OK with whichever one I got Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeFri Jun 23, 2017 11:43 am

Well this sucks - the box shows the Randy album, and the sleeve is from said album but the music is from the Shortino album???? It must have been a misprint and that was why it was ten bucks cheaper. Dammit I really wanted to hear that Randy album. Needless to say I am returning it today.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeFri Jun 23, 2017 1:44 pm

Thelemech wrote:
Well this sucks - the box shows the Randy album, and the sleeve is from said album but the music is from the Shortino album???? It must have been a misprint and that was why it was ten bucks cheaper. Dammit I really wanted to hear that Randy album. Needless to say I am returning it today.

Ouch! That does indeed suck. Here I thought you'd gotten some kinda ultra-rare collector's item! (although actually, now that I think about it, I guess you kinda did... just not in the way you wanted. Haha.)

I guess I was right on the money in my original post... obviously the schmucks at Sony Music didn't know one lineup of Quiet Riot, or one self-titled Quiet Riot album, from another.

Randy and Kevin DuBrow must be doing somersaults in their respective graves!!

Back to top Go down
HeavyThrashhead
Metal student
Metal student
HeavyThrashhead

Number of posts : 214

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeMon Jun 26, 2017 5:54 pm

i think the reason why they used the cover (and picture) of the first album with Randy Rhoads was to get people invested to buy their f*cking cash cow box set with albums that you can already get cheaply elsewhere. basically they click baited everybody. they knew that by making two different pressings with one sporting the mask and one sporting the artwork from the debut 1977 album it would make people believe that there are two different copies with having at least one exclusive inclusion. but it was just deceit. great f*cking business marketing.

i remember this box set being of question over at The Corroseum and everybody said the same shit. this box set should be avoided (if by anything).
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 8:22 am

Really, I don't know why anyone would buy these box sets.
I bought the Judas Priest one, then felt sorry the moment I realized no booklets or jewel cases were included, and now I have to re-buy all of the albums.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 8:59 am

HeavyThrashhead wrote:
i think the reason why they used the cover (and picture) of the first album with Randy Rhoads was to get people invested to buy their f*cking cash cow box set with albums that you can already get cheaply elsewhere. basically they click baited everybody. they knew that by making two different pressings with one sporting the mask and one sporting the artwork from the debut 1977 album it would make people believe that there are two different copies with having at least one exclusive inclusion. but it was just deceit. great f*cking business marketing.

i remember this box set being of question over at The Corroseum and everybody said the same shit. this box set should be avoided (if by anything).

I think you might be giving the average record company doofus a little too much credit for intelligence/craftiness, but I suppose this theory might be possible... Very Happy

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 12:17 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Really, I don't know why anyone would buy these box sets.
I bought the Judas Priest one, then felt sorry the moment I realized no booklets or jewel cases were included, and now I have to re-buy all of the albums.

Cuz I'm a cheap bastard and I'm not picky. Very Happy

Metal Health and Condition Critical can usually be had pretty cheap but QRIII and the Shortino disc tend to be pricier cuz they're imports (I think the last label to reissue them was Rock Candy in the UK).

So basically, for what I would have paid for QRIII or the Shortino disc alone, I got four studio albums (plus a live disc, which is essentially a free bonus).

I'm not overly concerned about the lack of booklets/liner notes cuz honestly, how much time would I have spent sitting around reading album credits and poring over Quiet Riot lyrics? They weren't exactly Shakespeare y'know. Haha Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 12:28 pm

I have a few of those "Original Album Classics" sets (Axel Rudi Pell, Dream Evil, UFO, MSG), and I wouldn't recommend getting them unless you're sure you won't want the albums separately.

I got mine very cheap, between $5 and $10. So with that price, it's a no-brainer when it comes to comparing to downloads for instance. But if it's a killer band, you're gonna want a better print. That's me with UFO. But I'm happy with the Dream Evil collection, for instance, because it turns out they aren't that great. But still worth owning, sort of.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Lari wrote:
I have a few of those "Original Album Classics" sets (Axel Rudi Pell, Dream Evil, UFO, MSG), and I wouldn't recommend getting them unless you're sure you won't want the albums separately.

I got mine very cheap, between $5 and $10. So with that price, it's a no-brainer when it comes to comparing to downloads for instance. But if it's a killer band, you're gonna want a better print. That's me with UFO. But I'm happy with the Dream Evil collection, for instance, because it turns out they aren't that great. But still worth owning, sort of.

Yep, that's pretty much where I was at with this Quiet Riot set. I figured, if I haven't bought their '80s albums separately by now, I wasn't likely to do it anytime soon either. Therefore the box was a nice cheap shortcut.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box   Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about Quiet Riot "Original Album Classics" Box
Page 1 of 1