Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kickstarter Pledge Rewards

Go down 
+8
corplhicks
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
Runicen
Fat Freddy
akeldama
mc666
deathisgain
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
deathisgain
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
deathisgain

Number of posts : 285

Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Empty
PostSubject: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 9:11 pm

I was talking to some one that is thinking of doing a kickstarter campaign for an album. I told him some of my experiences, my likes and peeves. It made me think of asking everyone here what they liked and didn't like about kickstarter campaigns. So, what have you liked, what have you hated, and what would you like to see from your favorite band?
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathisgain.com
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 9:41 pm

I like to see my favorite bands release sh*t on their own & then I'll pay for it. I avoid these kickstarter things like the plague.

akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 9:43 pm

Honestly I pledged on a project in '13 that was supposed to be released in September of that same year and nothing's come out of it. I honestly think the dude used it to pay for his college tuition that year and what's worse is on his FB and Twitter pages he'd always post stuff about being in one part of the world one day and two days later somewhere else, etc and has released next to nothing on the progress of his album. At least pledgers got a demo of a song upon pledging I guess... it would be nice to be able to file a complaint.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 9:48 pm

Quote :
I like to see my favorite bands release sh*t on their own & then I'll pay for it. I avoid these kickstarter things like the plague.

^^ What he said. I've never Kickstarted, GoFundMe'd or IndieGoGo'd.

I will admit that I was tempted to take part when Raven ran a Kickstarter fund to defray the costs of recording their last album, ExtermiNation, but I never pulled the trigger on it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 8:07 am

I've only done a few, myself. Trick is, you need to go with someone who has already put something out - ideally on their own. Those people know the game, know about production delays and real world costs. Where people seem to get taken are with bands used to someone else (labels, etc.) handling that crap for them.

If someone new to the scene wants to genuinely get trust from the outset lacking that knowledge and experience, the best I can suggest is to offer some sort of download EP (as an example) for free as an instant reward so at least backers know they're getting something for their trouble.

Also, keeping the cost of the product reasonable is essential. I have no interest in paying $50 for a single CD. Nope. Not even once. And yet, there are bands that ask this and it's absurd. Now, if we're talking $25-$30 because you're subsidizing a limited run and the studio time, it's expensive, but it's reasonable. If you're charging that for a double disc like Devin Townsend did when he ran his Casualties of Cool kickstarter, you're really cooking with gas.

So, keep it realistic on the pricing front and make sure people know you've got skin in the game and won't just walk with the cash. Best advice I could offer to someone looking to use it as a tool for the first time.

Oh, and COMMUNICATION. Let people know you're still aware of them even while you're working on the project.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 11:00 am

I would not pledge anything for a band to record a new album, even if they are one of my favorite artists/ bands as I just don't trust the process. Like Runicen said, if they are un experienced then too much can go wrong too quickly; and you have simply made a donation to someone in the hopes of getting something back. At the risk of sounding like an a hole, some part of me feels that if you have to resort to this then your time has passed and you should call it a career. But, I know that applies mostly to older bands and not a new artist.

To answer the op's original question, I would say constant updates, a timetable that is followed, and a perk or bonus like exclusive EP or shirt, and maybe even autograph all pledge member copies.
Back to top Go down
deathisgain
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
deathisgain

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 12:39 pm

I've participated in two so far, and for the most part received what I paid for. There were a few hiccups, but nothing bad. I've learned enough in this day and age, that nothing goes as planned and that there usually is going to be a delay.

I did tell him that communication is key. One campaign went silent for a while and took time to answer a question I had.

What are things that you would like to receive besides a CD?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 1:20 pm

I did it once for the last Raven album. While it was an overall decent experience, I'm not likely to do it again. Just not really my thing.

Quote :

Nothing really. I did the Raven one because they kicked in an extra exclusive cd of cover tunes. The signed stuff, patches, etc. were nice, but nothing I really need or want. Just gimme the cd!!

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 1:29 pm

The KS for Kobra & the Lotus includes a workout session with Kobra as one of the rewards. Lol.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 1:32 pm

deathisgain wrote:
I've participated in two so far, and for the most part received what I paid for. There were a few hiccups, but nothing bad. I've learned enough in this day and age, that nothing goes as planned and that there usually is going to be a delay.

I did tell him that communication is key. One campaign went silent for a while and took time to answer a question I had.

That's tough because your friend is the "new kid on the block." When you've got a fanbase established, you can do things like offering a "deluxe" version with covers, demos, or jams. That was the appeal of the Devin Townsend setup for me.

Basically, if I were your friend, I'd start the thing up, keep it modest (i.e. JUST downloads and CDs), and keep the door open where if enough interest is drummed up, there could be stretch goals and bonuses for people. If the price is low enough, people may jump on board just to see if it pans out and keeping the goal modest makes that a lot more possible. Get one or two of those projects successfully completed, and then your friend can look at t-shirts and other kinds of merch.

Keep it simple (and cheap enough that people are more likely to be willing to take a chance) for the first run.
Back to top Go down
deathisgain
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
deathisgain

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 6:37 pm

This actually is for an established artist that has a fanbase. He hasn't done anything in 20 years and is thinking about going this route.

Thanks for all the input so far.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 12:59 am

I've only pledged for the upcoming Gary Numan album, although he is very much behind, so I doubt it will be released on schedule. I'm getting a signed lyric sheet. It is with PledgeMusic.

I've given to a couple Kickstarters, but not for music. One was for an Atari 2600 version of Star Castle and another was for a magazine issue with t-shirt. Got my rewards just fine.

I did hear that Matthew Sweet had a Kickstarter for one of his albums quite a while back and fans have been complaining about not receiving their rewards. An established artist like that. Strange.
Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 8:05 am

I've backed 13 Kickstarters thus far. I'm a big fan of the process. It does get abused at times but I've had great luck overall.

The thing people fail to understand is that Kickstarter is not a content delivery system. Its for fans who want to support the artist building something. Don't want to pay $20 for a CD? Don't kickstart it and don't complain about it, it will be available on release for $12.

That being said the artist needs to have an incentive for backing. If you are offering a CD, have it signed. Offer something exclusive. I've seen artists have pledge levels for effects pedals, lyric sheets etc. Something unique that you can't get anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 7:57 am

80s Metal Lady wrote:
I've only pledged for the upcoming Gary Numan album, although he is very much behind, so I doubt it will be released on schedule. I'm getting a signed lyric sheet. It is with PledgeMusic.

I've given to a couple Kickstarters, but not for music. One was for an Atari 2600 version of Star Castle and another was for a magazine issue with t-shirt. Got my rewards just fine.

I did hear that Matthew Sweet had a Kickstarter for one of his albums quite a while back and fans have been complaining about not receiving their rewards. An established artist like that. Strange.

Wow. Matthew Sweet had a problem with fulfillment? That's weird - I always had the impression he was very fan-focused. Any chance that's old info and people have long since gotten their stuff?

Oh, and not to veer too far off topic, but how is the Numan campaign shaping up? I gathered he was behind schedule, but how's it going otherwise? Music shaping up to be interesting?
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 11:41 am

Runicen wrote:

Wow.  Matthew Sweet had a problem with fulfillment?  That's weird - I always had the impression he was very fan-focused.  Any chance that's old info and people have long since gotten their stuff?

Oh, and not to veer too far off topic, but how is the Numan campaign shaping up?  I gathered he was behind schedule, but how's it going otherwise?  Music shaping up to be interesting?

I saw some comments on his Facebook page not long ago. I don't know when the awards were supposed to go out. Seems like the Kickstarter was a long time ago, but I don't think the album is even out yet. I don't follow him closely, but his Kickstarter was the first I heard of such a thing. I remember thinking, "Why does Matthew Sweet need fans to help finance his album?" Guess there were really cool awards, though.

Gary Numan finished one song so far. It was pretty good. I remembered it well after first hearing it. Actually caught myself humming it. Always a good sign. It's still that heavy, dark, industrial sound he's been into the last couple decades. He's very far behind. He has a lot of other projects and obligations that get in the way. He realizes his October goal is probably unrealistic.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 3:37 pm

I get that you can't schedule creativity, but it seems really weird that Numan isn't enough of an old hand at this to keep things rolling along.

Then again, I think he needs to stop trying so hard to be Trent Reznor and just unclench a bit, but that's a whole different topic of conversation. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 4:20 pm

Runicen wrote:
I get that you can't schedule creativity, but it seems really weird that Numan isn't enough of an old hand at this to keep things rolling along.

Then again, I think he needs to stop trying so hard to be Trent Reznor and just unclench a bit, but that's a whole different topic of conversation.  Rolling Eyes

Yeah, he even said his wife questioned his album release goal date, Laughing
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 8:44 am

80s Metal Lady wrote:
Runicen wrote:

Then again, I think he needs to stop trying so hard to be Trent Reznor and just unclench a bit, but that's a whole different topic of conversation.  Rolling Eyes

Yeah, he even said his wife questioned his album release goal date, Laughing

Haha. That poor woman. Helping to raise three young girls AND living with Gary Numan. That's gotta be an experience. Laughing

I sometimes wonder what would happen if you took these veteran acts and gave them a month to record an album. No do-overs, no remakes, no second chances. Would they reclaim that sort of "can do" attitude from their youth or not?

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 11:14 am

I've done a number of these. Some are just like pre-ordering where you get nothing but lame updates until the album is released, but others have been a really cool experience. I like when bands do a lot of video updates, show the recording process, talk about the album, share demo clips, etc. It's like a live documentary of sorts.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 2:03 pm

Runicen wrote:

I sometimes wonder what would happen if you took these veteran acts and gave them a month to record an album.  No do-overs, no remakes, no second chances.  Would they reclaim that sort of "can do" attitude from their youth or not?

Gary Numan has also been handling the business side of his career. He mentioned in one of his update videos regretting not having a manager to handle such things. It takes a lot of his time. They recently released the live recording of the show I went to at the Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever Cemetery back in October 2013. That release was still taking up his time when he started the PledgeMusic project.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 10:22 pm

When my friend's band, Unbidden, recorded their album in 2010, I donated $10 to them towards making the album. I don't think they were using Kickstarter, but I donated $10 and got thanked in the album booklet.

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 7:45 pm

I pledged $10 for Kevin Max's new album and got an advance digital download of 8 songs and the rest to follow which slaked my thirst for new music by him.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 8:53 pm

Required Fields wrote:
When my friend's band, Unbidden, recorded their album in 2010, I donated $10 to them towards making the album. I don't think they were using Kickstarter, but I donated $10 and got thanked in the album booklet.

You might want to give them another $10. They don't seem to be able to release any music without it.

the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 11:35 pm

This might be a stupid question (and I know it won't apply to everyone) but what about a fan club? I know that Maiden's FC is ridiculous so they are probably a bad example, but what about another long time artist with a cult following like Dream Theater? They release a ton of FC exclusive CD's (of which I own 4) which are only available through the club membership. I guess what I am saying is hit up the FC first (if you have one) or maybe turn kickstarter into a sort of fan club? Idk? This sounded better in my head.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 11:53 pm

the sentinel wrote:
This might be a stupid question (and I know it won't apply to everyone) but what about a fan club? I know that Maiden's FC is ridiculous so they are probably a bad example, but what about another long time artist with a cult following like Dream Theater? They release a ton of FC exclusive CD's (of which I own 4) which are only available through the club membership. I guess what I am saying is hit up the FC first (if you have one) or maybe turn kickstarter into a sort of fan club? Idk? This sounded better in my head.

Pearl Jam's FC is amazing. My buddy has been a member since '96 and he has a score of swag from them. Every Xmas they send a 45 vinyl of unreleased shit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards    Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kickstarter Pledge Rewards
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next