Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Whiplash - Movie

Go down 
+2
martinsane
Glower
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

Whiplash - Movie Empty
PostSubject: Whiplash - Movie   Whiplash - Movie Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 7:09 pm

If any drummers out there - this movie is for you.
Any Jazz lovers - this is a wild movie -
they have a 10 minute sneak preview on cable - balh blah
19 year old drummer looks like Eli Manning -
deals with very strict college jazz teacher -
has touches of Dead Poets Society to it -
high pressure, high stakes and expectations -
to be the best - at ones art
angry angry
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

Whiplash - Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whiplash - Movie   Whiplash - Movie Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2015 4:57 am

I saw it and it was a nice little film.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Whiplash - Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whiplash - Movie   Whiplash - Movie Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2015 10:26 am

I have a copy, but have yet to watch it. I'll get to it eventually.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

Whiplash - Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whiplash - Movie   Whiplash - Movie Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 1:23 am

I want to see it.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Whiplash - Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whiplash - Movie   Whiplash - Movie Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 3:55 pm

My problem with J K Simmons is that I just can't get past the Vern Schillinger character from Oz! Everything I see him in, I kind of expect it to end in brutal gang rape!!  affraid
Back to top Go down

Whiplash - Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whiplash - Movie   Whiplash - Movie Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 4:26 pm

It's a very good movie if you set the appropriate expectations. If you're looking for a completely realistic film then look elsewhere. Whiplash is really an old-school Hollywood melodrama, with everything exaggerated and amped up for entertainment purposes. Which is kind of refreshing because Hollywood doesn't even make Hollywood melodramas any longer. It's not realistic in the slightest, but it is highly entertaining.

Despite the fact that it gets a lot of the jazz elements wrong, the movie itself is so visceral that I decided to not care and just enjoy the ride. Teller and Simmons are both excellent and the film is paced more like an action movie than a drama. It made my top 10 of 2014.

An alternate title could have been: Full Metal Jazzband
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

Whiplash - Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whiplash - Movie   Whiplash - Movie Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 4:47 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
My problem with J K Simmons is that I just can't get past the Vern Schillinger character from Oz! Everything I see him in, I kind of expect it to end in brutal gang rape!!  affraid

Ha! Same here. That show scarred me for life.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

Whiplash - Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whiplash - Movie   Whiplash - Movie Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2015 2:53 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Ha!  Same here.  That show scarred me for life.

Never saw Oz so I can't relate, but its those insurance commercials he does that distract me from his performances...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Whiplash - Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whiplash - Movie   Whiplash - Movie Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2015 2:57 pm

"We are Farmers, dun-dun-da-dun-dun-dun."

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Whiplash - Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whiplash - Movie   Whiplash - Movie Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 12:26 pm

I watched this last night. I thought it was very good. A little extreme in his teaching techniques, but he had his reasons. It kept me interested. And my wife didn't fall asleep mid-way through, so there's that.

Whiplash - Movie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whiplash - Movie   Whiplash - Movie Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whiplash - Movie
Page 1 of 1