Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Just Stop it!

Go down 
+19
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Witchfinder
manny
James B.
Glower
Lurideath
assault_attack
Eyesore
tohostudios
DevZor
ultmetal
Gilbert
ZombieHavoc
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
corplhicks
Boris2008
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

Just Stop it! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 2:13 pm

I dig the 2 "Real to Reel" projects by Tesla. Those are songs I cut my musical teeth on. Sure they picked overdone stuff by Skynyrd and The Stones and the Sabbath tune sucked. Overall they did that putting their own stamp on the tunes for the most part.

Stypers covers album was pretty decent. I expected something else on a few of the tunes they did, but again not that bad.

The albums Shannon listed above are good too.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 10:31 pm

007 wrote:
I don't care who's on them, tribute albums hold no interest for me. Pass (again)

Ditto
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 11:12 pm

I would like to produce a Phil Lynott tribute album. But with a specific theme, his songwriting. I would bring in a bunch of singer/songwriters and folk musicians to interpret his amazing lyrics and melodies into new acoustic arrangements. To me, that's the kind of tribute albums that would be interesting. Getting musicians from different genres to reinterpret the music of a famous artist.

Getting a bunch of hard rock bands to cover Thin Lizzy tunes would be boring.

Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 12:45 am

Precisely the reason Judas Priest's covers of "Diamond and Rust" and "Green Manalishi" so cool. They were completely reimagined.

Same with Nevermore's Simone and garfunkle tune.

Or Johnny Cash covering more NIN and soundgarden, those are cool.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 12:57 am

Some tribute albums are excellent. The first Nativity in Black album is awesome, for instance. Typically the most you'll get, however, is a great cover or two, like this:

Blows the original away, in my opinion. I don't care if we're talking classic Maiden here. This cover is f*cking brilliant.

Anyway, giving credit where credit is due, seems that UDR Music is at least making an effort here.

Sounds waaaaaaay better than expected. And goddamn, I just realized that Tim Owens is singing on nearly every track!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 1:03 am

DevZor wrote:
Precisely the reason Judas Priest's covers of "Diamond and Rust" and "Green Manalishi" so cool. They were completely reimagined.

Same with Nevermore's Simone and garfunkle tune.

Or Johnny Cash covering more NIN and soundgarden, those are cool.

I love when bands do that and it works. The Priest tunes and Nevermore cover are perfect examples. One of my all-time favorites is this one:

A little rough and raw, but I love the alt-rock take on it. And on topic of tributes, this album has a number of really good if by-the-numbers cover tunes by some no-name bands.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 1:10 am

Shoot. Says video unavailable when I click on it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 3:40 am

Iron Maiden covering Nektar, Jethro Tull and Beckett is an excellent example of how to take other peoples material and make it sound like your own.  That's actually what all covers (whether on tribute albums or whatever) should aspire to.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 11:02 am

S.D. wrote:
Iron Maiden covering Nektar, Jethro Tull and Beckett is an excellent example of how to take other peoples material and make it sound like your own.  That's actually what all covers (whether on tribute albums or whatever) should aspire to.

Agreed. Like this:

One of the most classic heavy metal tunes of all time as a kick-ass emotional piano ballad? Damn right!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 12:36 pm

Holy crap that is bizarrely awesome.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 12:39 pm

I don't mind tribute albums if some more obscure tracks are covered or if the covers are interesting. For instance this Jasta cover of Black Sabbath's Buried Alive is vicious as hell, but it's still in the same style as the original:

I also like Shades Apart doing a punk cover of Tainted Love:

I do find these "allstar cast" tribute albums to be fairly crappy and I generally don't buy them.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 2:30 pm

Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Agreed. Like this:

One of the most classic heavy metal tunes of all time as a kick-ass emotional piano ballad? Damn right!

That is pretty cool. I do like my piano cover versions with a little less sanity though.

Anyone who has read the cover versions thread knows that I love them, they can be amazing. It's just that this one looks totally 'rent out the usual hired guns and make some money' type of affair. I'd like to hear some guitarists that actually inspired Randy like Schenker or Uli give their interpretations of his songs, that would be cool.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 3:47 pm

I wondered why pretty much the only song not included in the clip above was "Crazy Train." Now I know why. It sucks. It sucks baaaaaaaad!

I love System of a Down, but Serj sounds terrible here. Not right for this song at all!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 4:53 pm

Here's a unique take on Holy Diver (and quite tongue-in-cheek methinks)

The online comments about this song are hilarious, nothing more entertaining than metalheads blowing a gasket.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 5:32 pm

S.D. wrote:
I would like to produce a Phil Lynott tribute album.  But with a specific theme, his songwriting.  I would bring in a bunch of singer/songwriters and folk musicians to interpret his amazing lyrics and melodies into new acoustic arrangements.  To me, that's the kind of tribute albums that would be interesting.  Getting musicians from different genres to reinterpret the music of a famous artist.  

It's been done - It was called Grand Slam. Phil on smack is better than anyone else trying to pull off his stuff.
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 7:48 pm

Not sure when someone says "makes it their own" if they mean they need to change it up (Nevermore covering the Sound of Silence, Uncle Slam covering Dazed and Confused) or meaning that it sounds like there's integrity behind it (Metal Church covering Highway Star, Powermad covering Gimme, Gimme Shock Treatment, WASP covering the Real Me, etc)?
To me, I guess if it's done well and I like it, then well, I guess I like it. I don't really overthink it.
Do you all have a preference?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 8:01 pm

allthingsmetal wrote:
Not sure when someone says "makes it their own" if they mean they need to change it up (Nevermore covering the Sound of Silence, Uncle Slam covering Dazed and Confused) or meaning that it sounds like there's integrity behind it (Metal Church covering Highway Star, Powermad covering Gimme, Gimme Shock Treatment, WASP covering the Real Me, etc)?
To me, I guess if it's done well and I like it, then well, I guess I like it. I don't really overthink it.

Either way really. Iron Maiden doesn't really change the Jethro Tull version of Cross-Eyed Mary, it just has a crunchier guitar sound.

Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 11:01 pm

S.D. wrote:
I would like to produce a Phil Lynott tribute album.  But with a specific theme, his songwriting.  I would bring in a bunch of singer/songwriters and folk musicians to interpret his amazing lyrics and melodies into new acoustic arrangements.  To me, that's the kind of tribute albums that would be interesting.  Getting musicians from different genres to reinterpret the music of a famous artist.  

Being that Thin Lizzy is my fave band I would wanna cover a million tunes but I would definitely choose "Dublin", "Gonna Creep Up On You", Sweet Marie", Don't Believe A Word both the original slow version and version on Johnny The Fox as one song, "Parisienne Walkways, "Spanish Guitar" (both appeared as demos during the Black Rose sessions), "For Those Who Love To Live", "Borderline" & "Fight Or Fall". I could go on but do I really need to?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 3:42 am

S.D. wrote:
allthingsmetal wrote:

Either way really.  Iron Maiden doesn't really change the Jethro Tull version of Cross-Eyed Mary, it just has a crunchier guitar sound.

For me, a great cover works when, no matter what, whether the music or structure or whatever has changed—or not—it sounds like that particular artist wrote it.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 7:16 am

Hahaha!

Right after slagging off tribute records I hear the greatest tribute album I have ever heard!!

Just Stop it! - Page 2 $_12

Brownout presents Brown Sabbath is an amazingly great record, mixing in latin funk to the Sabbath sound while keeping the spirit of the original songs fully intact, here's the guys in action headbanger

Luckily Amazon had a couple of vinyl copies left (at a price!) because it was sold out evrywhere else.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 11:39 am

Here's another track from the Ultimate Ozzy tribute - "Mr Crowley" with Chuck Billy on vocals:

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 12:00 pm

Sounds ok....its just missing something....not sure what it is. Its miles better than Serj & Tom's abomination of Crazy train though.

But I find it interesting that they've not released any of the Tim Owen's tracks since he's on 85% of the album.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 8:18 pm

If they are going to make a Randy Rhoads tribute album I wish they would include a couple of his Quiet Riot era tracks...some of those songs are very good and Randy just shines in them....
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 8:21 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
If they are going to make a Randy Rhoads tribute album I wish they would include a couple of his Quiet Riot era tracks...some of those songs are very good and Randy just shines in them....

They have done......It's still going to suck! lol!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 8:41 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Here's another track from the Ultimate Ozzy tribute - "Mr Crowley" with Chuck Billy on vocals:

The way this is shaping up, it may win a grammy for best comedy record, both of the songs on here are hilariously baad!! How the hell can Chuck manage to sound tone deaf when he's growling through the whole song? Somehow he manages it! Laughing very hard

Tribute my arse, this is nothing but a lazy half arsed cash grab. angry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just Stop it!   Just Stop it! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just Stop it!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2