Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?

Go down 
+18
stepcousin
TheGooch
Thrasher73
mc666
spiritoradio
KissinMaiden
Wargod
Shiney
ultmetal
T-Roy
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
Chairman_Smith
Smindas
rattpoison
SAHB Healer
Neuropete
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 7:52 pm

By the way, I forgot to mention two other genres that I absolutely LOVE!!!

Punk (all kinds of punk from old school to horror to new pop punk stuff)

and

Folk!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 9:12 pm

🤘 Rap...! 🤘 Nah...! It's a joke! I really love Blues,Prog. Rock and old Rock'N'Roll (Elvis and Chuck).
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 10:16 pm

ultmetal wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
I like....(gulp, sweating), country. Always have and up untill the last
few months...its all i've really listened to in the last 10 years.
THERE, I SAID IT OKAY?!! I kind of do feel better now.

faves:
Trace Adkins
Montgomery Gentry
Big N Rich
TK
Lonestar
D Worley
Blake Shelton
Aaron Tippen
Charlie Daniels
Paul Overstreet

Other thing I really like and have a decent collection of, is movie
soundtracks. Mainly Hans Zimmer, Jerry Goldsmith...the theatrical
stuff. Although I do own The Punisher Sound track, which is all
nu-metal stuff, pretty good one. 🤘

You and my wife would get along well.

For me, new/modern country is nothing moer than soft rock/pop. Many songs don't even sound country to me. A lot of country artists seem to be having hits with old rock songs as well. Many big country artists use professional song writers to write their songs, so much of it just sounds generic to me. Every song has the same two step beat, which drives me nuts. Drummers must really get bored. However, I can appreciate the vocal talents and the lyrics/storylines. I would much rather hear it than most of the gansta crap that is out right now. (My kids like that stuff.)

For me, l like some blues, lots of classic rock, Southern rock, some old gospel stuff, especially Keith Green. Keith Green. I even like some old rap stuff like Run DMC, Public Enemy and SFC but I rarely listen to it anymore.

One of the local talk radio morning shows here found out that Dolly Parton did Stairway To Heaven, so their producer downloaded it and they played it.

It was rather amusing because the entire song you could hear them going "AHHH! UGH!!! EEEWWW" then they asked the guy that handled the phones what the callers were saying and he says "I think the general consensus is stop or we're all going to kill ourselves"
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 8:17 am

DARK FOLK (cold also be called GOTHIC ALT-COUNTRY...which is more accurate I suppose)

these types of artists:

WOVEN HAND
DAN CHAMBERS
DAX RIGGS
HANDSOME FAMILY

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 9:05 am

Quote :
Blues (though I do appreciate it for it's history)

Blues is so vast in it's history. It's like metal some many sun genres, I prefer more guitar orientated blues, texas blues, female blues, and some R&B blues.

Was in a huge country kick back in the 90's but that quickly went away. Reason being that with country it's like an exclusive club by membership only you here the same artist all the time!

As far what country is today it's nothing more than glorified pop rock with country twinges in it!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 9:45 am

Quote :
As far what country is today it's nothing more than glorified pop rock with country twinges in it!

Exactly! That's exactly how I describe it. To me Country hasn't been meaningful or relevent for at least 1/4 of Century. YES, there are occassional songs that rise above the cess-pool, but it's rare....
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 5:02 pm

Hi Blackieboy...yes, I do love Depeche Mode! I have seen them live a couple of times, and oddly enought "101" is one of my all-time favorite live albums. One would now expect a synthpop band to sound much different live, but they do. There was a time in life when I would have been scared to tell someone that I was BOTH a Depeche Mode fan and an Iron Maiden fan. I agree...it is interesting to see people digging different types of music.

BTW, I am also a huge Smiths and Morrissey fan.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 6:08 pm

Neuropete wrote:
Hi Blackieboy...yes, I do love Depeche Mode! I have seen them live a couple of times, and oddly enought "101" is one of my all-time favorite live albums. One would now expect a synthpop band to sound much different live, but they do. There was a time in life when I would have been scared to tell someone that I was BOTH a Depeche Mode fan and an Iron Maiden fan. I agree...it is interesting to see people digging different types of music.

BTW, I am also a huge Smiths and Morrissey fan.

Don't be afraid to like what you like. I like Iron Maiden and I also like Genesis and Phil Collins. Doesn't matter what other people think. It's about what you enjoy.

ult
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 6:36 pm

I agree ultmetal. It is about what one enjoys. I recall when I was younger it was almost as if you had to enjoy one genre exclusively, or you were a "poser". But as I have grown older, I found that to be silly. Good music transcends genres. Varitey is good!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 8:11 pm

Neuropete wrote:
I agree ultmetal. It is about what one enjoys. I recall when I was younger it was almost as if you had to enjoy one genre exclusively, or you were a "poser". But as I have grown older, I found that to be silly. Good music transcends genres. Varitey is good!

🤘 🤘 🤘

I couldn't agree more!

I'm a little different with my history of Depeche Mode and synthpop in general. One of my friends in high school got into Depeche Mode. He was a fellow thrasher - and myself and my other friends made fun of him. Called him a poser, etc. It was all in good fun - but he was actually very hurt and stopped hanging out with us.

Years later, I picked up a Depeche Mode album just for kicks - to see what they were really like, since I hadn't really given them much of a chance. Much to my surprise - I liked them. They weren't a favorite at the time, but now they are one of my top 20 favorite bands! I have purchased every album they have put out and have even seen them live. I have to be honest ... I've seen a LOT of metal shows - and Depeche Mode rocks just as hard as the best metal bands out there.

I'm always gonna be a metalhead first - it's just who I am - but I am thankful to Depeche Mode for opening my ears to a whole world of other stuff. I now like all that kind of stuff.

I'm also a huge fan of:

The Cure
Sisters of Mercy
David Bowie

to name just a few ...

By the way - I like what I've heard of Morrisey and The Smiths, but I've never picked up anything. Perhaps I'll look into them both!
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 12:42 am

Some

Hip-Hop (very few, have to have good lyrics or about smoking what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 309780 )
Disco (little bit)
80's pop (i'm a sucker for them, since parents would overplay em as a kid)
very few punk
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 5:23 pm

'70s Soft Rock, Pop/Rock; ie. Bread, ABBA, Grateful Dead, Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond, Elton John, America, Billy Joel, The Carpenters, Fleetwood Mac, Paul McCartney & Wings, Chicago, Todd Rundgren, Hall and Oats, Steely Dan, Warren Zevon, Gordon Lightfoot,...etc.

Horror Punk; ie. The Misfits, Balzac, Calabrese, Samhain...etc.

Classical,...a ton of other stuff, no rap or country though, with the exception of Johnny Cash and late '70s and '80s rap.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 8:25 pm

Spiritoradio, I love ABBA! One of my favorite 70s bands!

Cool
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 9:54 am

ABBA is great!!!!!

No shame in liking anything....hell, I was just listening to BARNES & BARNES (the guys who gave us "Fishheads")....

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 9:58 am

Shiney wrote:
ABBA is great!!!!!

No shame in liking anything....hell, I was just listening to BARNES & BARNES (the guys who gave us "Fishheads")....

what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 604261
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 9:41 pm

Roley, poly fish heads. Eat them up, yum.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 10:43 pm

spiritoradio wrote:
Roley, poly fish heads. Eat them up, yum.

Oh, GREAT. Now I'm gonna have that damn "Fish Heads" song stuck in my head allllllll day. Thanks a lot. what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 927150
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 2:30 am

T-Roy wrote:
But now, I'm
like a confused walking-contradiction. I drive my farm tractor around
mowing on the weekends, cutting wood, wearing camo' pants (an
occasional chew) and a flannel shirt....and my Ipod is blaring
Ultimatum, Living Sacrifice, Deliverance and friends. SHEESH, I don't
even KNOW ME ANYMORE!

That's me, except it's even worse. I often stalk around my farm looking all rustic, listening to Tears for Fears or Spandau Ballet.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 2:51 am

blackieboy wrote:
Besides metal (which is always number one for me), I like the following genres to varying degrees:
Nu Metal (only some - the bands I like are few and far between actually)
um.. that is still metal/hard rock to some degree.

anyway.. like spiritoradio, i like Punk.

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 11:26 am

Personally I find the word 'nu metal' a contradiction. I don't consider this genre to be any form of metal - rather a subgenre of alternative. The song structures in nu metal have little to do with actual heavy metal and more to do with alternative, namely the grunge movement.

Just my opinion - and this is why I included it.

Smile
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 12:32 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
But now, I'm
like a confused walking-contradiction. I drive my farm tractor around
mowing on the weekends, cutting wood, wearing camo' pants (an
occasional chew) and a flannel shirt....and my Ipod is blaring
Ultimatum, Living Sacrifice, Deliverance and friends. SHEESH, I don't
even KNOW ME ANYMORE!

......... Tears for Fears or Spandau Ballet.
fainting, that is worse. lol!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 4:17 pm

My fave outside of metal would be Bluegrass.Sorry,its a Kentucky thing.I also like:
Johnny Cash
Snoop Dogg
the Police
the Outfield
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 6:32 pm

Chairman_Smith wrote:
One of the local talk radio morning shows here found out that Dolly Parton did Stairway To Heaven, so their producer downloaded it and they played it.

Dude, I had to youtube search that for pure interest, all that came up was some annoying paris hilton slideshow but with that playing over it, sweet Cripes, it really was one of the worst experiences of my life. F**kin sick. the "solo" was done in hillybilly time with a f**kin mouth organ and banjo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 7:31 pm

Hey blackie you and I have a lot of similar musical interests. I also love goth, new wave, synthpop and industrial, EBM, new beat and even a little trance here or there. I'm also a fan of punk, post-punk, 80s electro (like World Class Wreckin' Cru, Man Parrish, Egyptian Lover, Newcleus, etc.), house, latin freestyle, italo-disco, eurodance, hi-NRG and even good old straight up pop and power-pop music (a la Cheap Trick, The Smithereens, Marshall Crenshaw). I also dig 60s/70s "classic rock", Motown, 80s arena rock (Loverboy, Journey, Foreigner, etc.) some prog rock, classic R&B, 70s disco, jazz, movie scores, grunge and old alternative music (Sonic Youth, Pixies, Dinosaur Jr, My Bloody Valentine, etc.).... ah hell, I'm just a music fiend. If it sounds good, I'll like it. I don't really discriminate. Unless it's current hip-hop or country.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 7:55 pm

decapitate wrote:
Hey blackie you and I have a lot of similar musical interests. I also love goth, new wave, synthpop and industrial, EBM, new beat and even a little trance here or there. I'm also a fan of punk, post-punk, 80s electro (like World Class Wreckin' Cru, Man Parrish, Egyptian Lover, Newcleus, etc.), house, latin freestyle, italo-disco, eurodance, hi-NRG and even good old straight up pop and power-pop music (a la Cheap Trick, The Smithereens, Marshall Crenshaw). I also dig 60s/70s "classic rock", Motown, 80s arena rock (Loverboy, Journey, Foreigner, etc.) some prog rock, classic R&B, 70s disco, jazz, movie scores, grunge and old alternative music (Sonic Youth, Pixies, Dinosaur Jr, My Bloody Valentine, etc.).... ah hell, I'm just a music fiend. If it sounds good, I'll like it. I don't really discriminate. Unless it's current hip-hop or country.

Yeah, it does sound like we have a lot in common! Metal is my mainstay - but I love thousands of other genres literally. I like most everything you mentioned! Hahaha!

Do you like Talking Heads at all? I think they're pretty cool. Weird, but cool.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next