Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?

Go down 
+18
stepcousin
TheGooch
Thrasher73
mc666
spiritoradio
KissinMaiden
Wargod
Shiney
ultmetal
T-Roy
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
Chairman_Smith
Smindas
rattpoison
SAHB Healer
Neuropete
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Empty
PostSubject: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 10:46 pm

Okay - I'm not talking about anything that is metal or hard rock related. Nothing that some people might consider being under the banner of metal.

What kinds of music do you like besides metal/hard rock stuff? Anything?

I know some people are 'strictly' metal only people - and that's great! I used to be that way too. But as I got older, I started branching out more and more.

I still love my metal - eat, sleep, drink and pee it - but there are certain times I get in other moods.

Metal is like my main course (meat). I love meat. I could live on it - but then there are times I like my side dishes too. Other kinds of music are like my sides.

I am actually pretty versatile in my musical tastes. Besides metal (which is always number one for me), I like the following genres to varying degrees:

Goth
Industrial/EBM
Synthpop/Darkwave
Trance
Alternative (some, not all - you might call this 'modern rock')
Nu Metal (only some - the bands I like are few and far between actually)
Country (only a few select artists)
World/New Age

I don't really get into:

Jazz
Blues (though I do appreciate it for it's history)
Rap/Hip Hop
R&B
Mainstream Pop (except for a few acts)

So, what kinds of 'non' metal stuff do you enjoy? What kinds of stuff do you NOT enjoy?

Last edited by on Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 10:47 pm

I love prog. Genesis, Rush, Yes. Love it. I like a little country. A little jazz. A little pop.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 10:48 pm

Cool!

I can get into some 'prog' but not too much of it.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 10:57 pm

I love a wide range of music. In elementary and junior high, I was a big fan of New Wave. During high school, I used to listen almost exclusively to Metal, hard rock and some classic rock. When I went to college, I got into alternative and grunge. As I got older, however, I realized I did not HAVE to stick to one label. If it was good music, why should I not listen to it? Now, my range is pretty wide. I still love metal and hard rock, but I also listen to alot of the 80's New Wave that I was into before. I also listen to alot of classic rock. It is not strange to find electronica, jazz, latin, world, raggae, classical, some old R & B, some old pop, some OLD country (stuff like Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline or Willine Nelson NOT the stuff that is on the radio today!). Of course, just because I like all sorts of music does NOT mean I am not discerning. I like only GOOD music! hee hee hee. I hate contemporary country, contemporary R & B, Nickeback-type-rock, contemporary Hip Hop (most of it) and slick Pop top 40 stuff. The music, regardless of genre, MUST have passion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 11:35 pm

Quote :
The music, regardless of genre, MUST have passion.

That's pretty much my take too!

By the way, do you like Depeche Mode? Just wondering - they are one of my faves.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 12:42 am

Anything but Hip Hop and New Country. They are both just vehicles for lyrics most of the time IMO.

By the way, I love all that Depeche Mode type stuff, New Romantic and Alternative Pop.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 12:53 am

Quote :
By the way, I love all that Depeche Mode type stuff, New Romantic and Alternative Pop.

🤘 🤘 🤘

me too!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 1:45 am

60's Girl Groups, Powerpop, 60's Garage Punk/Rock, Surf, Blues, Punk (Some is what i woud call Hard Rock/Metal some is not), Post-Punk, Indie/College Rock, Alternative Rock, Grunge ( Again some is what i woud call Hard Rock/Metal some is not), Roots (Country) Rock, Southern Rock, Prog and any old 50's and 60's Rock N' Roll.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 5:02 am

Jazz fusion, latin (mainly guitar-based things; old Santana, Gypsy Kings), classical, folk-rock (Flogging Molly!), lots of mainstream pop/rock acts, bits of ska, bits of rap/hip-hop... I will listen to most things really, just my tastes I generally dominated by rock/metal.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 5:53 am

I don't really like too much outside of rock and metal. Classical probably!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 9:34 am

You mean...there are OTHER genres of music besides metal? Shocked
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 9:40 am

Not much....

Bluegrass

"oldies" (50's/60's rock)

Reggae/Calypso

The Cranberries
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 11:31 am

Cool! Thanks for responding everyone! I just wanted to see if there were any others here besides me that like a variety of stuff.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 11:43 am

Most of my likes fall into the "guitar-based" category (blues, rockabilly, hard rock and of course, METAL), but I like some swing music (Big Bad VooDoo Daddy, Louie Prima, Brian Setzer Orchestra), and some jazz (Davis, Coltrane). Being part Italian and growing up with it in the household, I listen to Sinatra and Dean Martin from time to time as well. I believe that's some sort of law.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 12:13 pm

I like....(gulp, sweating), country. Always have and up untill the last
few months...its all i've really listened to in the last 10 years.
THERE, I SAID IT OKAY?!! I kind of do feel better now.

faves:
Trace Adkins
Montgomery Gentry
Big N Rich
TK
Lonestar
D Worley
Blake Shelton
Aaron Tippen
Charlie Daniels
Paul Overstreet

Other thing I really like and have a decent collection of, is movie
soundtracks. Mainly Hans Zimmer, Jerry Goldsmith...the theatrical
stuff. Although I do own The Punisher Sound track, which is all
nu-metal stuff, pretty good one. 🤘
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 1:00 pm

T-Roy wrote:

faves:
Trace Adkins
Montgomery Gentry
Big N Rich
TK
Lonestar

My wife is a big country music fan. She likes all of the guys you listed here, as well as good ole Garth, Gretchen Wilson, Miranda Lambert, Faith Hill, etc, etc, the list goes on.... I get a kick out of her Big N Rich CDs, those guys are funny as hell. I've told her that if Big N Rich ever come around here I'd take her to see them, they look like they'd be a heck of a fun live show. Their videos are great! They blow stuff up, there are hot girls and midgets running around all over the place... that's entertainment baby!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Quote :
hot girls and midgets running

🤘
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 3:38 pm

T-Roy wrote:

faves:
Trace Adkins
Montgomery Gentry
Big N Rich
TK
Lonestar
D Worley
Blake Shelton
Aaron Tippen
Charlie Daniels
Paul Overstreet

You and my wife would get along well.

For me, new/modern country is nothing moer than soft rock/pop. Many songs don't even sound country to me. A lot of country artists seem to be having hits with old rock songs as well. Many big country artists use professional song writers to write their songs, so much of it just sounds generic to me. Every song has the same two step beat, which drives me nuts. Drummers must really get bored. However, I can appreciate the vocal talents and the lyrics/storylines. I would much rather hear it than most of the gansta crap that is out right now. (My kids like that stuff.)

For me, l like some blues, lots of classic rock, Southern rock, some old gospel stuff, especially Keith Green. Keith Green. I even like some old rap stuff like Run DMC, Public Enemy and SFC but I rarely listen to it anymore.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 3:55 pm

ultmetal wrote:
T-Roy wrote:

faves:
Trace Adkins
Montgomery Gentry
Big N Rich
TK
Lonestar
D Worley
Blake Shelton
Aaron Tippen
Charlie Daniels
Paul Overstreet

You and my wife would get along well.

For
me, new/modern country is nothing moer than soft rock/pop. Many songs
don't even sound country to me. A lot of country artists seem to be
having hits with old rock songs as well. Many big country artists use
professional song writers to write their songs, so much of it just
sounds generic to me. Every song has the same two step beat, which
drives me nuts. Drummers must really get bored. However, I can
appreciate the vocal talents and the lyrics/storylines. I would much
rather hear it than most of the gansta crap that is out right now. (My kids like that stuff.)

For
me, l like some blues, lots of classic rock, Southern rock, some old
gospel stuff, especially Keith Green. Keith Green. I even like some old
rap stuff like Run DMC, Public Enemy and SFC but I rarely listen to it
anymore.
ARE YOU DONE PISSING ALL OVER MY FIRE YET?! NO, I STILL
SEE A COAL OVER.....PSSSSHHHHHHH-oh, you got that one too. I don't care
about all that, I JUST LIKE IT OKAY.

LOL! @ "....same two step beat, which drives me nuts" That is so true.
Maybe we could start like a country-core/speed country thing?🤘
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 3:58 pm

Didn't mean to offend. Was just explaining why it doesn't appeal to me. Didn't mean to piss on your party. Shocked

I like Patsy Cline. Great voice. Real country.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 4:12 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Didn't mean to offend. Was just explaining why it doesn't appeal to me. Didn't mean to piss on your party. Shocked

I
like Patsy Cline. Great voice. Real country.
I'm to shallow for
the old stuff, I like the new, perfectly mixed, digitally dubbed, vocal
program filtered....well, I just described 90% of all the country
artists right now. lol!
I do like Johnny Cash allot though. He rocks! Sort of. But now, I'm
like a confused walking-contradiction. I drive my farm tractor around
mowing on the weekends, cutting wood, wearing camo' pants (an
occasional chew) and a flannel shirt....and my Ipod is blaring
Ultimatum, Living Sacrifice, Deliverance and friends. SHEESH, I don't
even KNOW ME ANYMORE!
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 4:16 pm

I seriously dig the "old guard" of country:

HANK WILLIAMS
PATSY CLINE
JOHNNY CASH
RAY PRICE
MARTY ROBBINS

"Outlaw" Country:

DAVID ALLAN COE
MERLE HAGGARD
WILLIE NELSON

Blues:

I like auhentic juke joint blues not the clean crap that passes itself off as blues (CLAPTON, SR VAUGHN)

I dig:

CEDELL DAVIS
RL BURNSIDE
JUNIOR KIMBROUGH
JOHNNY FARMER
ROY BUCHANNON

R&B (Old school):

MARVIN GAYE
OTIS REDDING
JAMES BROWN

I also like:

Electronica, 80's New Wave, Punk, Alternative, Alternative Country, Jazz, dark folk (The new DAX RIGGS cd is fantastic!!!)
...and just out there stuff....

You will never catch me listeneing to rap or hip hop or what passes for R & B these days....I'd rather jab a screwdriver in my ear....

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 5:55 pm

Quote :
dark folk

Ah, thank goodness we have context!

Describe 'dark folk'

I like Folk and Viking metal...also a little actual folk music if it's fiddle and dulcimer laden....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 6:24 pm

I obviously love prog rock, but I still consider that metal.

Psychedelic Rock
Jazz
Blues
Rock N Roll
Funk
Horror Punk
Alternate
(talented) Techno
Grunge
Classical (Baroque)
Certain Country
Southern Rock
Flamenco
Fusion
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 6:50 pm

I like some country too TRoy! The stuff I like though is more alternative country stuff. Also I like some of the americana stuff. John Denver is a favorite.

But all in all - I'm not big on the new country stuff for the same reasons Ult mentioned. It all does sound pretty generic to me.

But we are all different. I wanted to start this thread to see the 'other side' of us. We all are multidimensional human beings and we all have multiple sides to our personalities/taste.

I find it very interesting to see a little 'deeper' than just the shallow surface we see a lot of times when we discuss the music we all have in common (METALLL!!!!).

Metal does rule!!!!

And that we all have in common here (as this is a metal board hahaha!). But it's so interesting to see the different stuff we all like - if we are honest about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?   what styles of music do you like that are not metal related? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what styles of music do you like that are not metal related?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next