Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Exercise and dieting

Go down 
+15
Boris2008
Runicen
Thrasher73
scottmitchell74
MetalGuy71
jstate
corplhicks
DallasBlack
James B.
exact33
tohostudios
AutumnShantel
Fat Freddy
Headbanger Man
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

Number of posts : 145

Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 6:16 pm

The con with Low Carb ( as I see ) is that it seems to be harder to "build muscle" while on LC. this is because insulin is very anabolic to muscle tissue too ...
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 9:26 pm

Atkins Diet:

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 2:40 am

Your mom is anabolic. Burn.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 9:26 am

I'm a big opponent of all the fad diets and exercise programs.  Each person is different and the results will be different no matter what you eat or do.  And let's face it the selling point for most of this stuff is quick results.  To me that creates unrealistic expectations and discourages people.  Or worse with a lot of these workout programs which stress intensity right from the start it leads to injury or over exertion.  No reason to be sore for days after one workout.

Eat sensibly and within reason.  Do workouts that you enjoy and will keep doing.  Push yourself over time to expand on those and the rest will take care of itself.  I also say F - the scale too.  But if taking poundage off is a motivator then more power to you.  Just don't beat yourself up over it.  Stay positive and treat it like a long term project.
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks for the input about "fad diets" , ATKINS CCERTAINLY IS NOT ONE OF THEM. Atkins is a lifestyle !!!

Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 11:53 am

Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 11:54 am

Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 1:19 pm

jstate wrote:
I'm a big opponent of all the fad diets and exercise programs.  Each person is different and the results will be different no matter what you eat or do.  And let's face it the selling point for most of this stuff is quick results.  To me that creates unrealistic expectations and discourages people.  Or worse with a lot of these workout programs which stress intensity right from the start it leads to injury or over exertion.  No reason to be sore for days after one workout.

Eat sensibly and within reason.  Do workouts that you enjoy and will keep doing.  Push yourself over time to expand on those and the rest will take care of itself.  I also say F - the scale too.  But if taking poundage off is a motivator then more power to you.  Just don't beat yourself up over it.  Stay positive and treat it like a long term project.  

Spot-on advice. Find what works, and stick to it. It's a #s game.

To maintain weight - Calories in must = calories out.
To lose                 - Calories in must < calories out
To gain                 - Calories in must > calories out

It's too simple, really. I think so many people want a "magic bullet", but there isn't one. Each person has a caloric need each day - assigned to them by both genetics and activity level. Once you figure that out, adjust to suit.
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 1:32 pm

Its NOT only about "calorie in calorie out" , its NOT ONLY about it ... depending on the macronutrient compositions of your diet , when you´re in a caloric deficit , you´ll lose more or less fat. there are few studies actually showing such, please check the video below:

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 2:03 pm

H.M. - no need to get all Atkins Evangelist on us. Chillax.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 2:08 pm

Thaaaat ze_mau. Sleeping with prostitutes and preaching the gospel of Atkins.
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 2:14 pm

The blond doctor of the videos is not an "Atkins evangelist" but I think shes somewhat "pro Low Carb" the videos are pretty interesting ...

Last edited by Headbanger Man on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 2:23 pm

corplhicks wrote:

Watch out Hicks or he'll call you a fish!  affraid 
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 2:28 pm

I´d skip the part that the blond doctor speaks about "artificial sweetners". I drank TONS of NO CARB Soda in my diet and it didn´t affect my weightloss process in anyways ...
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 2:30 pm

When I was on the weight reducing part of it ...
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 3:09 pm

In the grand scheme of things, it is about calories in/calories out. Sure, you can't eat 2100 calories (or whatever your daily need is) of just donuts, or just eggs, and be healthy overall, but you'll still weigh about the same once your body adjusts.

In all of this common sense, honesty, and a little effort still needs to come into play. The biggest obstacle in my experience, both personally and in my observations as a Certified Personal Trainer and Firefighter Peer Fitness Trainer, is denial and a lack of personal accountability.

In the end the individual has to make up their mind about how they want to eat and how they want to exercise (or not).
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 3:21 pm

Quote :
In the grand scheme of things, it is about CALORIES

Yep, but people MUST realize that the theory that "a calorie is always a calorie" is completely FALSE - NON SENSE. There are a few studies showing such ... you´re absolutely right about personal accountability on the process of being healthier , weight loss , etc , but in many cases , the "wrong tools" are what is being given to people ...

I am myself a lazy ass and a junk food addict. But I decided to "decide" that I need to take care of my health ... I adopted a LC diet that its not exactly "Atkins" but I basically stick only to vegetables and fruits as sources of "carbohydrates" , I started working out again , but I know I need to do some walking at least ( in spite of the fact that I HATE cardio , but I need at least to walk ... )
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 5:47 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Watch out Hicks or he'll call you a fish!  affraid 

lol!  I AM THE ANABOLIC ICHTHUS!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 6:25 pm

Headbanger Man wrote:
Quote :
In the grand scheme of things, it is about CALORIES

Yep, but people MUST realize that the theory that "a calorie is always a calorie" is completely FALSE - NON SENSE. There are a few studies showing such ... you´re absolutely right about personal accountability on the process of being healthier , weight loss , etc , but in many cases , the "wrong tools" are what is being given to people ...

I am myself a lazy ass and a junk food addict. But I decided to "decide" that I need to take care of my health ... I adopted a LC diet that its not exactly "Atkins" but I basically stick only to vegetables and fruits as sources of "carbohydrates" , I started working out again , but I know I need to do some walking at least ( in spite of the fact that I HATE cardio , but I need at least to walk ... )

Sounds like you've got a good plan there.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 9:39 pm

I've pretty much struck a balance between calories in and calories out as I've stayed the same weight for over a year now. I'm finally moving back out of the ship dock and back to picking. Unlike last time I was a picker, there is no walking around as the bins come to us. I'll still be standing all day and with bending to pick on bottom shelves, I can get a workout for my legs. I will get less exercise now so I may need to make up for it elsewhere or eat better (I hope to do both).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2014 8:56 am

Here´s a very silly Atkins diet docomentary ... they show the diet as if it consisted on only eating "meat and nothing elase" ... not could be further from the truth ...

Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 9:57 am

thinking about getting the DDP Yoga program..kind of pricey though
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 10:04 am

The way it was explained to me was thus (imagine everything following to be read in a British accent):

Calories in being matched by calories out won't matter for weight because different types of foods are processed in different ways.

The argument against carbs is that carbs metabolize as sugar - i.e. promote the release of insulin. Insulin signals the body that it should store fat and burn sugar. Enough of this, and you train your body to retain (rather than burn) fat while always craving sugar for regular operation. I believe this is referred to as "metabolic disorder."

I can't claim to adhere to this as gospel, but when I've actually tried to limit my diet to the low-carb/high protein side of things, I've noticed very positive effects on weight and fitness as well as energy levels.

Just a suggestion. There's a pretty ok independent documentary called Fathead kicking around that was created to debunk Supersize Me and does a pretty good job of it. That was my introduction to this thinking.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 12:29 pm

I took my "lunch time" walk a little early this AM cuz of the expected hot & sticky weather - it still wasn't very pleasant out there even at 10:30 AM but I got my 2 miles in.

This afternoon I have my annual company-mandated "Biometric Health Screening," where they'll probably tell me "you're too fat and you need to get more exercise," like they do every year.... to which I will respond by giving them the finger.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 1:40 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
This afternoon I have my annual company-mandated "Biometric Health Screening," where they'll probably tell me "you're too fat and you need to get more exercise," like they do every year.... to which I will respond by giving them the finger.

You should go into it eating a donut and see what they say.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exercise and dieting
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next