Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Exercise and dieting

Go down 
+15
Boris2008
Runicen
Thrasher73
scottmitchell74
MetalGuy71
jstate
corplhicks
DallasBlack
James B.
exact33
tohostudios
AutumnShantel
Fat Freddy
Headbanger Man
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 2:15 pm

^^ Haha, that would've been funny. Shoot, the only reason I even do the damn screening is cuz if I don't they'll add a "surcharge" to my health care premiums next year. They're pretty useless otherwise.

Anyway, according to my screening today some of my numbers were "higher" than they should be, others were "lower" and need to come "up," yadda yadda yadda. F*ck it. I'm just gonna keep doing what I'm doing till I keel over and die.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 8:38 am

Quote :
others were "lower" and need to come "up,"

That was probably the HDL numbers ...
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 8:46 am

Runicen wrote:
The way it was explained to me was thus (imagine everything following to be read in a British accent):

Calories in being matched by calories out won't matter for weight because different types of foods are processed in different ways.

The argument against carbs is that carbs metabolize as sugar - i.e. promote the release of insulin.  Insulin signals the body that it should store fat and burn sugar.  Enough of this, and you train your body to retain (rather than burn) fat while always craving sugar for regular operation.  I believe this is referred to as "metabolic disorder."

I can't claim to adhere to this as gospel, but when I've actually tried to limit my diet to the low-carb/high protein side of things, I've noticed very positive effects on weight and fitness as well as energy levels.  

Just a suggestion.  There's a pretty ok independent documentary called Fathead kicking around that was created to debunk Supersize Me and does a pretty good job of it.  That was my introduction to this thinking.

Good post this. the whole essence of Low Carb is lowering insulin levels. The Metabolic Syndrome that happen to be the "x-factor" of MANY of the so called "modern day" diseases (Diabetes , High Blood Pressure , Cancer , High Tryglicerides , Low HDL Cholesterol , Obesidty , etc ) is actually rooted on Insulin Resistence and Hyperinsulinemia which may be caused by the excessive consumption of refined Carbohydrates (those described in the "Junk Food VS Super Food" video).
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 9:03 am

But I also don´t take the "Atkins diet" thing as "gospel" ... its tho an excellent way of eating for those with a genetic inclination to develop obesity , insulin resistence and type 2 diabetes. There are "other" Low Carb plans that are more liberal like South Beach and Paleo ... I eat lots of fruit nowadays So I don´t think I can say I´m a "typical" Atkineer ...

But the thing I like the most on Atkins is the improvement on energy levels and well being ... I sometimes come to the point of being "euphoric" when I am on deep Ketosis ... really great ...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 9:07 am

Unit my mid-30's, I was skinny as rail, ate, drank what I wanted and my weight would stay the same. I my idea of excerise was lifting a few pints and maybe walking home when I had too much to drink.

The lifestyle changed, body chemistry changed and now I found myself slightly overweight.

Mostly due to massive consumpation of soda, which I working on weaving myself off, and I have attempted several times in the past to quit smoking, but I am going to try again this month. Without those electronic do-hickies all the hipsters smoke.

I do enjoy walking, which is a good thing since at the moment I do not have a car.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 9:54 am

I've been on a kick lately that's too new to really say if it'll stick or not, but I've been replacing soda with green tea. Green tea is supposed to help with allergies, which have been slaying me the past year or two, so I figured it couldn't hurt.

So far, it's been beneficial for the allergies and even weight loss. It's amazing how much even diet soda screws with your metabolism.

Granted, I'm only about two weeks in, but so far, the results are promising.
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 10:32 am

Green Tea and any other "leaf" Teas are great for health , I read somewhere on Agatston´s (South Beach Diet) book that some "teas" have properties of preventing Alzheimer on the long run ... Im my mind , of all of these "mainstream" Low Carb diets South Beach is actually the healthiest choice as a "way of living" and on the long term ... healthy eating is not only about nutrition , the most important part for me is eating foods that can actually help preventing degenerative diseases that strike people after a long life of exposure to oxidative stress , so ... foods high on antioxidants - phytochemicals ... mostly foods coming from the ground , from nature , minimally processed , foods the Gods made for us (NOT manmade foods) ...
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 10:39 am

My views on Black Metal are that this "style of music" is actually imcompatible with the whole concept of happiness , well being , healthy living , etc ... what could we expect from a style of Metal that actually sees depression and suicide as something "positive" ? sorry I think this little "discussion" would not belong to this thread , but that´s my personal view on "Black Metal" specially modern Black Metal ...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 11:12 am

Runicen wrote:
I've been on a kick lately that's too new to really say if it'll stick or not, but I've been replacing soda with green tea.  Green tea is supposed to help with allergies, which have been slaying me the past year or two, so I figured it couldn't hurt.

So far, it's been beneficial for the allergies and even weight loss.  It's amazing how much even diet soda screws with your metabolism.

Granted, I'm only about two weeks in, but so far, the results are promising.

I believe it, when it comes to soda, even smoking. Sodas have tons of calories, so I am sure the results, may not be instant weightloss plan but I am sure the results are pretty immediate
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 11:52 am

I am addicted to Soda ... hell , I´m a junk food addict as I stated above ... but the Zero Carb sodas don´t have any calories , so I opted for drkinking it ... no nutrients at all , right , but there´s water and drinking lots of water is essential for good health. I am thankful to the Gods that I have never smoked a whole cigarrete in my life ...
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 3:12 pm

Headbanger Man wrote:
My views on Black Metal are that this "style of music" is actually imcompatible with the whole concept of happiness , well being , healthy living , etc ... what could we expect from a style of Metal that actually sees depression and suicide as something "positive" ? sorry I think this little "discussion" would not belong to this thread , but that´s my personal view on "Black Metal" specially modern Black Metal ...

Wait, so in addition to wondering if music "has balls," we now need to worry about the carb content of our metal as well?

I'm going to vote that Power Metal is very high in protein myself.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 11:18 pm

I guess MHR/AOR would have a high sugar content. That's OK, I did say I have a sweet tooth after all.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 9:56 am

Classic rock is high in fiber, modern radio pop is just artificial sweetener, and j-pop will just induce Type 2 diabetes.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 1:52 pm

I had to alter my lunchtime walk route a bit today when about a quarter of the way thru my usual stroll, a bear ran across the road about 50 yards ahead of me. I just turned around and continued back the way I came, haha. So I still got my 2.5 miles, just not in the usual direction!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 6:40 pm

Now that I work from home full time, I have a 3.1 mile walking route that I take every day at lunch as long it's not just completely miserable outside. I find that "house-watching" is even more fun than "people-watching". As I walk past some houses, I go, "Hey, I like that; I could do that". Then I walk past other houses and I go "WTF are they thinking????"

But all this walking at lunch during the summer has given me the weirdest tan I've ever had; just my arms and my calves. I can clearly see the difference where my shorts end and my socks begin. At least I wear sleeveless shirts when I walk so the arm tan goes all the way up to my shoulders.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 7:17 pm

tohostudios wrote:

But all this walking at lunch during the summer has given me the weirdest tan I've ever had; just my arms and my calves.  I can clearly see the difference where my shorts end and my socks begin.  At least I wear sleeveless shirts when I walk so the arm tan goes all the way up to my shoulders.  

if you run outside in the buck you dont have that problem!

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 10:49 am

Stoner music is the worst.......

Makes you wanna twist a fattie and toss it in the ol power hitter and get busy.

Then you become a cereal killer

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 7:47 pm

Recently got me one of those ab carvers. Working your abs after a decade of not doing so is quite painful. Everytime I stand up it hurts like hell (and I'm not even extending myself very far yet-baby steps). No pain no gain huh?
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 8:47 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Recently got me one of those ab carvers. Working your abs after a decade of not doing so is quite painful. Everytime I stand up it hurts like hell (and I'm not even extending myself very far yet-baby steps). No pain no gain huh?

Been on a fitness kick here too. Finally got serious about using the rather nice treadmill a relative offloaded on me... And then ended up gooning up one of my ankles because I didn't stretch first. I had a moment of "Crap, it never used to NEED any coaxing to work."

I'm convinced that getting older is just singing "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" like when we were kids, only screaming "Why the $#@% do I have parts left over?!" when you get to the end. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 8:34 pm

I still enjoy exercising. Its the diet thing that is no fun - especially when you work in an office.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2015 8:45 pm

exact33 wrote:
I still enjoy exercising. Its the diet thing that is no fun - especially when you work in an office.

I can't do the diet thing, I love food too much Very Happy. Though I am trying to eat more fruit and vegetables. I have a large smoothie about twice a week.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 8:26 am

Hardcore diets would never work for me. It's all about substituting something you like for something else you like that's worse for you. The big one I was harping on months ago was dropping soda (yes, even diet soda) in favor of iced tea. It made a huge difference and all it really took was finding something else I liked ALMOST as much that could swap in so I didn't notice the other was missing.

Oh, the other thing that tends to help (but is harder to keep up with) is portion control. Eat what you normally do, but less of it. Going out to get a burger? Don't get the medium, get the small. Instead of the double cheeseburger, get the regular. At first, this one DOES suck because you're sitting there after the fact going, "I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be more than that," but your body adjusts and it becomes the new normal after a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 9:26 am

Runicen wrote:
Hardcore diets would never work for me.  It's all about substituting something you like for something else you like that's worse for you.  The big one I was harping on months ago was dropping soda (yes, even diet soda) in favor of iced tea.  It made a huge difference and all it really took was finding something else I liked ALMOST as much that could swap in so I didn't notice the other was missing.

Oh, the other thing that tends to help (but is harder to keep up with) is portion control.  Eat what you normally do, but less of it.  Going out to get a burger?  Don't get the medium, get the small.  Instead of the double cheeseburger, get the regular.  At first, this one DOES suck because you're sitting there after the fact going, "I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be more than that," but your body adjusts and it becomes the new normal after a few weeks.

yeah. I have been learning to do the smaller portion thing and have mostly dropped soda.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 10:33 pm

Dropping sodas never worked for me. When I switched to diet ones, I was expecting to lose some weight, but only lost a few pounds at most.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exercise and dieting   Exercise and dieting - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exercise and dieting
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5