Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Holy smokes! PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band???

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Holy smokes!  PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band??? Empty
PostSubject: Holy smokes! PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band???   Holy smokes!  PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band??? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 12:48 pm

Not to be confused with Katon DePena's side band also called Phantasm, who played thrash metal (though they're quite good and should be checked out as well), I'm talking about Wisconsin death metallers Phantasm.

It's true, I'm not the biggest fan of death metal. I prefer death metal in it's early stages, when it was still very raw and thrashy but dig my share of classic bands like Massacre, Cancer, Grotesque, Autopsy and Dismember along with select others. But this band Phantasm is really knocking my socks off right now. They only released two demos in the early 90s and later a best of compilation, sadly.

Probably the most original, ear-pleasing and unique death metal band I've ever had the pleasure of being acquainted with. Their music perfectly captures the atmosphere and aura of some wicked, gory horror movie with creepier-than-f*ck spoken word intros, organ interludes and just one hell of a menacing vibe. Guitar sound is rich and thick, the music never boring or repetitive (they're quite prog-like at times) and the vocals a perfect mixture of the (slightly) decipherable, guttural and high wailing shrieks. Awesome stuff.

Anyone familiar with 'em??
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Holy smokes! PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band???   Holy smokes!  PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band??? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 2:38 am

Don't know the band, but loved the movies! Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Holy smokes! PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band???   Holy smokes!  PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band??? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 4:02 pm

kmorg wrote:
Don't know the band, but loved the movies! Very Happy

Hehe yeah the movies rock, especially the original.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Holy smokes! PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band???   Holy smokes!  PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band??? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 4:23 pm

I think I have seen a cd of theirs in a local used bin, mybe a compilation of the first 2 demos....I recall looking at it and wondering about them but then putting it down....it's still there....

hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Holy smokes! PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band???   Holy smokes!  PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band??? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 6:43 pm

I've seen the band 4 or 5 times, I have The Abominable cd. Long songs on the cd, most over 6 mins. Old school DM forsure. They alsoo used to spray the crowd with some sort of green slim at shows.-TJ

Phantasm/The Abominable/Death Trap-Monster Driver(1995)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holy smokes! PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band???   Holy smokes!  PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band??? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2007 1:29 am

When I was in Enter Self, we played a few Milwaukee Metal Fests and they were at the first one we played in like '94 or something..? Tat was one wacko weird band... but I did enjoy their music and their quite odd (GWAR-ish if you will) stage show. I remember the green slime too, glad I was in back LOL!
Back to top Go down
Vordul
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Vordul

Number of posts : 322

PostSubject: Re: Holy smokes! PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band???   Holy smokes!  PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band??? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 3:10 pm

great band ................i have their cd too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Holy smokes! PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band???   Holy smokes!  PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Holy smokes! PHANTASM -- tell me someone knows this band???
Page 1 of 1