Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Life As A Trucker

Go down 
+20
thejokeriv
mc666
jstate
kmorg
Coram Deo
GrandNational
corplhicks
Troublezone
James B.
Lari
Eyesore
exact33
Required Fields
tohostudios
Boris2008
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
Dark Horseman
DallasBlack
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 9:49 am

DB - have you been joyriding???

jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 10:09 am

I see the burned out shells of things like that every time I travel Route 40. Scary stuff that seems to happen often.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 9:39 am

I've had some incidents lately. I've gotten myself in very tight spaces many times and was always able to get out of it with some menuvering  and a little bit of luck (i.e. no police around). However, I got into one too many. Last week I got into a dead end at a facility but was able to get out after half an hour of manuvers. I then had to back up into a wash dock but couldn't do it without going blind. That took me over an hour until another truck showed up and helped guide me in. By this time I was getting flustered and wanted to just get out. So I uncoupled from the trailer and went to couple to the next one. Now already this truck I'm assigned to has a very sensitive throttle which causes the truck to shake side-to-side and this place is riddled with potholes. Apart from running behind, all my stuff is flying all over the place causing the frustration level to rise. I couple to the next trailer and I'm ready to leave but first must go on the places weigh scale which is in a tight space. I get up to it and the trailer isn't going to make it so I have to back out of this tight space without hitting the fence with the trailer or the concrete pillar with the tractor. I manage to do this and go back around. Again the trailer is going to just miss it. I was able to get out again but instead of taking a break and recooperating I try again and I almost make it but the back tires aren't going to make it (BTW, the tires are all the way in the back-I should have moved them forward before starting but I was in such a hurry I forgot). Backing up my foot goes for the brake but slips and hits the throttle causing the bumper to back up into the concrete pole. Tore the headlight out on the right side and pulled the bumper out. I had to get it rigged up and get routed back to the yard.

I later got stuck in a bad place and had to back up in a field. It caused the bumper to fall into a ditch which bent the bumper back into place. Luckily it didn't get stuck and I was able to get to a Wal-Mart to rest up. While there, another truck driver was able to help me get the bumper into a good position using a tarp strap and the truck's wheel. I then duct taped the headlight up and got back home safely. This was what it looked like:

My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Incide10
My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Incide11
My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Incide12
My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Incide13

They got it fixed in one day and I was on my way. Everything was going fine until I came into Dallas and ran up to a sudden traffic jam. Everybody in front of me decided to stop suddenly without warning causing me to have to really jam on my brakes and come in less than inches from hitting a bunch of cars (to cover my ass-I really should have seen the traffic jam sooner, I've told them someone pulled right in front of me causing the supper hard brake-not far from the truth as people do that all the time). This caused the freight to fall forward and smashing the front of the trailer knocking out the refer (refrigeration unit). Luckily, the load was a dry load and nothing needed cold to keep. It was 13 pallets of tile and they lined it up in one row down the middle of the trailer. To protect the refer they were supposed to make a bulkhead using thick 2x4s and the pallets should have been placed differently. Instead they just placed an empty (and very brittle) pallet between the front and the freight and with the pallets lined up like they did, it just made a several ton battering ram. This is the damage:

My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Incide14
My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Incide15
My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Incide16
My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Incide17
My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Incide18

Well, the boss isn't happy and right now I'm just waiting for the go ahead to go back on the road. Luckily, the head instructor is fighting for me to keep my job. He understands that my lack of experience and the poor way the trailer was loaded caused the refer incident. He has all the confidence in me to make it as a truck driver. I too feel that I can do this and just need one more chance. I understand how I got in this situation and will do all in my power to prevent anymore problems. I haven't damaged anyone else's property but the company's and haven't hurt anyone so hopefully I'm given one more chance. The head instructor and the highest paid driver after less than five years of driving feels I can do this. My dad who drove for over 10 years and over 1 million miles also has all the confidence in the world that I can do it. More importantly, I know I can do this and that this is what God has called me to do. I just need to get over this rocky start.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39708

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 9:50 am

Best of luck, man. Tough breaks but it sounds like you got the right mindset. I envy you. I could never do something like drive an 18 wheeler.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 12:07 pm

That's rough, DB. Reading that alone made my pulse go up. Looks like rather intense work, but you handled these situations really well for just starting out, and none of the damage was your fault. I'm sure you'll get back in. You're dedication is something to be admired, as well.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 2:51 pm

Oh wow dude, scary stuff. Keep the faith.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17077

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 4:32 pm

Thanks for the update. Sorry about the bad luck...
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 4:56 pm

Holy crap, glad that that's as bad as it got..
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12645

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 6:31 pm

Bummer DB.

First of all, don't let it get into your head or you'll set yourself up for failure. Glad to hear that others have confidence in you and your ability to do the job. Just knowing others have your back can motivate one to focus and think about what they are gonna do long before they do it and how they are gonna do it as well. A little advice. I know you have time issues with OTR. When you first go to a place, park someplace and go look arounfd on foot before you commit to driving your rig into a nightmare. You can also try to pull into the truck stop right off the interstate in the city or town you are delivering to and park in the big area designated and go talk to other truckers there. Ask them about the place you are delivering to and if there is an easier way to access or unload besides the most direct route and if there is certain things to be awre of like, don't drive past this part of the place or anyother hassles, dangers, and headaches with the location. When you are making a tight turn, like the one you mentioned regarding the scale. Get as wide to the drivers side away from the edge of the scale as soon as possible, when you get 1/3 of the way thru your turn, swing out to the opposite way of your tuirn as wide as possible and then walk the truck at that angle back into the area you are turning into. This will move your trailer from at least half a width to more than a width over from if you just tried to pull in at a 90 degree approach. Hope it helps

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 6:35 pm

James B. wrote:
Bummer DB.

First of all, don't let it get into your head or you'll set yourself up for failure.  Glad to hear that others have confidence in you and your ability to do the job.  Just knowing others have your back can motivate one to focus and  think about what they are gonna do long before they do it and how they are gonna do it as well.  A little advice. I know you have time issues with OTR. When you first go to a place, park someplace and go look arounfd on foot before you commit to driving your rig into a nightmare.  You can also try to pull into the truck stop right off the interstate in the city or town you are delivering to and park in the big area designated and go talk to other truckers there. Ask them about the place you are delivering to and if there is an easier way to access or unload besides the most direct route and if there is certain things to be awre of like, don't drive past this part of the place or anyother hassles, dangers, and headaches with the location.   When you are making a tight turn, like the one you mentioned regarding the scale. Get as wide to the drivers side away from the edge of the scale as soon as possible, when you get 1/3 of the way thru your turn, swing out to the opposite way of your tuirn as wide as possible and then walk the truck at that angle back into the area you are turning into.   This will move your trailer from at least half a width to more than a width over from if you just tried to pull  in at a 90 degree approach.    Hope it helps
I know absolutely nothing about driving a rig but I know James does and the above sounds like great advice from someone who has been there.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 7:33 pm

exact33 wrote:

lol! Laughing very hard i hope not

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 8:01 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Since the driver survived, is it ok to laugh at that visual? Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Maybe a truck stop bimbo was in the cab "distracting" him.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 12:34 am

Troublezone wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Since the driver survived, is it ok to laugh at that visual?  Laughing very hard 
Someone needs to caption this video Peanuts style.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Question. I'm editing someone's novella and a killer drives a semi. At one point he allows a girl to use the bathroom in the "camper." First off, what is a camper when it comes to semis? Second, do they even have bathrooms?

I just want to make sure she's not completely wrong here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 6:52 pm

Not sure about the term "camper", I've always heard them referred to as Sleeper Cabins (or something similar).

In this picture it's the area behind the seats:

My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 3617809549_ff8a40a0f6_z

I'm guessing since you can have bathrooms in RVs that it would technically be possible to install a bathroom inside one of those, but that would seriously limit your sleeping area.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 11:17 pm

Yes it would but I've heard of some truck drivers keeping one of those camper toilets in their truck. I have urine bottles, but I'm not prepared to go that far.

BTW everybody, I'm still moving along but not without a hiccup. Somehow, my quarter fender got bent up and the edge dragged along one of the tires until it blew out. Somehow when I got stuck in a tight spot, I got the truck too close to the trailer and I'm guessing the uneven ground caused the trailer to be lower on that side causing the fender to twist. I have a feeling I will be going back to the yard to explain things. I have no one to blame but myself as I had gotten into a tight spot before and getting too close to the trailer didn't do any damage so I assumed I was all right. My further mistakes was doing a quick and not thorough post-trip inspection at night and forgetting my pre-trip inspection the next morning. I'm going to be honest with them and hopefully this won't be a final nail in the coffin. If it is, I can always go to another OTR company (after all, I haven't totaled anything or damaged anybody else's property) but I'd get less miles and probably have to visit California (trucker hell) and other places this company doesn't go to.

Apart from that, I'm adapting to the lifestyle fairly well, and more often than not don't have any problems. Hopefully, my string of mistakes will be over and I will have one more opportunity to prove myself. I've certainly learned my lessons about trip inspections.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 12:48 am

Isn't that back area pretty much just for a bed? In this story, the guy has a girl tied to a metal chair that's back there. Later, she's walking from the back to the front, like there's is a hallway.

I've been in a few, and as far as I remember, you move the curtain aside and there's a bed RIGHT THERE, you know. I'm sure some trucks are bigger than others, but I'm assuming on average there's not a whole lotta space back there, right?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 12:51 am

No, not much room at all. About the size of a walk-in closet.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 1:10 am

Eyesore wrote:
Isn't that back area pretty much just for a bed? In this story, the guy has a girl tied to a metal chair that's back there. Later, she's walking from the back to the front, like there's is a hallway.

I've been in a few, and as far as I remember, you move the curtain aside and there's a bed RIGHT THERE, you know. I'm sure some trucks are bigger than others, but I'm assuming on average there's not a whole lotta space back there, right?
Yeah, no. No way. My only experience with semi's is during my dad's 10-year stint with Kenworth, and I can tell you that this is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 3:32 am

That's what I figured. Thanks, guys.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 2:59 am

Well it looks like my recent incident is being overlooked. Might have something to do with the holiday or the fact I got 3,000 miles last week. Being a very hard worker and determined person is what's going to keep me on the road (but most importantly, by the grace of God). For years I have tried to please my flesh and put The Lord on hold but things kept happening and I knew that I would have to go back to God if anything was to ever improve. Since renewing my relationship with Christ I have had situations that could have ended badly but by some chance of fate (I call them miracles) I was able to get out of them.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 3:16 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Well it looks like my recent incident is being overlooked. Might have something to do with the holiday or the fact I got 3,000 miles last week. Being a very hard worker and determined person is what's going to keep me on the road (but most importantly, by the grace of God). For years I have tried to please my flesh and put The Lord on hold but things kept happening and I knew that I would have to go back to God if anything was to ever improve. Since renewing my relationship with Christ I have had situations that could have ended badly but by some chance of fate (I call them miracles) I was able to get out of them.
Maybe you should ask God to help you stop crashing into shit.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 3:49 am

Nah, DB has been put on the road by God to punish other drivers/sinners. He's like an avenging angel! Very Happy 

Just kidding DB, I hope your bad run of luck is over. I'm also getting used to a new job and know how hard it can be.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 10:03 am

Eyesore wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Maybe you should ask God to help you stop crashing into shit.
Well, maybe shit should stop crashing into me. Ever stopped to consider that?

Plus, I've only crashed into one thing (concrete pillar the first time and I hit it about 1-2 miles an hour). The second time was caused by me avoiding a crash and the third time, something got caught up under the truck. Considering some of the accidents caused by drivers (that still have jobs) in this company, mine are very minor. We've had drivers total trailers, roll over trucks, and destroy property. Actually considering all the tight spots I've found myself in, the fact I haven't had more incidents shows how well I'm learning to control the tractor and trailer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Life As A Trucker
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next