Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Life As A Trucker

Go down 
+20
thejokeriv
mc666
jstate
kmorg
Coram Deo
GrandNational
corplhicks
Troublezone
James B.
Lari
Eyesore
exact33
Required Fields
tohostudios
Boris2008
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
Dark Horseman
DallasBlack
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

My Life As A Trucker Empty
PostSubject: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 1:14 pm

I've been set up with a trainer and will leave sometime tomorrow morning. I wish I had some more time, but I need to get out there and get this career moving. I have purchased myself a Verizon Mobile Hotspot so will be able to keep in touch with everybody. Also, give you guys daily updates on my progress in this thread. So I may be leaving home for several weeks, but you guys will still have me around here, sorry Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 4:37 pm

On the road again, just can't wait..........oh, sorry. Don't hit anything bigger then you.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 5:26 pm

Well, it probably won't be tomorrow. He still has a day to get back and he wants to spend a few days at home (providing the company allows it). If all works out, I will be leaving Sunday afternoon. Gives me some time to slow down, as I was rushing myself today to get things ready. Also I have a day or two to visit with my mom before I go.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 11:52 am

'My Life As A Trucker' sounds like a new band name. I think they're on a bill with I Wrestled A Bear Once and Between the Buried and Me Wink 

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 12:43 pm

I hope DB has a monkey with him like in BJ and the Bear. That would be cool. They could solve crimes and stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 1:15 pm

Good luck DB. Watch out for this guy out on the road. I hear he can be a real suuuummm-bitch.
My Life As A Trucker Buford_t_justice_s640x346

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 3:14 pm

lol! to all three of you.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 11:46 am

Everything is going good so far. There were some delays the first day or two, but things are picking up. I'm currently in Chicago for a load not due til 3pm. Unfortunatly, I can't get my computer to charge but once I do and if I have time I will go into more detail. Until then, stay metal my friends Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 12:24 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Everything is going good so far. There were some delays the first day or two, but things are picking up. I'm currently in Chicago for a load not due til 3pm. Unfortunatly, I can't get my computer to charge but once I do and if I  have time I will go into more detail. Until then, stay metal my friends Very Happy.

Excellent. Good luck my friend.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 12:53 pm

We set off on Sunday evening with me driving. We were set to deliver to Colorado the next night. However, once it got dark it became apparent that the trailer lights were not working. We had to park overnight on the side of the road until morning. My trainer took over the next morning and we went to Amarillo, TX to get it fixed. After going through fuses to locate the problem, the mechanic got the lights working. However, the truck would not start, so we had to give the trailer to another driver and get it towed to a dealership and wait many hours. Turns out another fuse had blown so we finally were on our way. We picked up a load in Dodge City, KS that had to be in Chicago today at 3pm. Tuesday morning my trainer, Abel, drove us through Kansas and I took us the rest of the way, just outside Chicago. We are now waiting because the customer does not take early deliveries.

I am driving an automatic so shifting is not something I have to worry about. The first day I spent too much time looking in my mirrors but once I got lane position figured out I was able to limit it to turns and curves. Haven’t done much backing yet, but Abel tells me toward the end of the week I will start doing a lot more. When I get that figured out and all the paperwork (logbooks, etc.), I think I may like this job. Of course, the trainer has a very nice automatic (Volvo) while, my first truck will be a crummier older automatic (International). However, once I prove myself I will be moved up. So far so good. When I get another chance I will update everyone. Until then:

headbanger 
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 1:19 pm

Glad you are enjoying it! Every job takes time to learn the ropes and feel comfy with what you are doing.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 1:50 pm

Can't wait to see you on that trucking reality show.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 5:32 pm

Once you're driving on your own you need to put something on your truck so we'll know it's you if we see you on the road. 

I have a million suggestions on what you could use...lol!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 7:46 pm

Glad it's going well!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 8:19 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Once you're driving on your own you need to put something on your truck so we'll know it's you if we see you on the road. 

I have a million suggestions on what you could use...lol!

i think we could all think of just one there toho...

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 11:18 pm

Give us the deets when you kill your first prostitute.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 6:48 pm

We made our delivery to Chicago and made our way to Houston, TX. After waiting 5+ hours to get unloaded we went to Freeport, TX which is where we are now waiting for the load that will take us to Denver, CO. That allows me to visit my mom for about a day as we will get home tonight and leave Sunday. Nobody need worry about me unless they are driving on a US highway after dark. I'm doing real well, but I do miss my turn once a night and last night had to do a sudden stop. Nobody was behind me at the time so I have yet to have a real close call. I take that back, there was a car on the side of the road (parked askew) with it's door wide open and I had to drive the guy next to me onto the shoulder to avoid hitting it. I know you guys are just joking, but either way, none of you guys are in danger unless you're the one driving like an idiot Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 6:49 pm

Oh, and I'm allowed to listen to music when driving on the open road, so there is another thing.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6335

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 8:01 pm

Sounds like a cool, manly job
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12611

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 9:11 pm

Yeah trucks are kewl......I am doing more heavy equipment this year on the highway crew. Gettin to play with big Tonka toys is a blast. The next job, they are throwing me back in the belly dump being it is an overlay and not new roadbase construction. Glad you are gettin dialed in DB, confidence is great to have but remember you still are learning. Having a CDL make you a professional driver and have alot of things apply to you that are non-existant to regular drivers. Learn to remember that there are 4 sides of the road and you cannot always see everything that is going on all 4 sides. Make a habit of always being aware of what is happening directly in front of you, a half mile in front of you, directly behind you and things coming up the road behind you, and what is happening on either side of you. It can change in an instance and having it being something you are aware of before it can surprise you keeps you from over reacting or getting scared. Take your time and focus on the task at hand, soon all this will be second nature and automatic things you do while driving in different conditions.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 10:51 pm

James B = OTR master yoda

DB = young trucker jedi
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 11:51 pm

I very much wanted to be a trucker but from what I've been told it's just not a family friendly job. And that's from talking with a lot of truckers. If I were single, though, I think I'd like it.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 12:14 am

corplhicks wrote:
I very much wanted to be a trucker but from what I've been told it's just not a family friendly job. And that's from talking with a lot of truckers. If I were single, though, I think I'd like it.

My dad's a owner/operator local trucker who hauls materials like sand and rock and such things for construction companies. You don't have to be a long-distance driver.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 1:17 am

GrandNational wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

My dad's a owner/operator local trucker who hauls materials like sand and rock and such things for construction companies. You don't have to be a long-distance driver.

Yeah, I have heard of guys "driving local" but I guess it's a lower-pay scale; true/false?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 2:58 am

Eyesore wrote:
Give us the deets when you kill your first prostitute.

Laughing very hard 

Wouldn't that make him the worst serial killer in history? lol! 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Life As A Trucker   My Life As A Trucker Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Life As A Trucker
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next