Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Official KISS Thread Pt II

Go down 
+43
Wrecked Neck
MetalHeartMonsterMan
the sentinel
Eyesore
Dark Horseman
tul
ze_mau
DeathCult
Dave the Boss
mlotek
stpatrik
Metal Misfit
Runicen
Orion Crystal Ice
glassprison
nevermore
Lari
metalinmyveins
krokus
MetallicSeminarian
chewie
Vexer6
akeldama
Lurideath
Shawn Of Fire
Witchfinder
James B.
corplhicks
iamrockerfun
ZombieHavoc
Cliffy
bass63
exact33
brokentulsa
Boris2008
MetalGuy71
ElectricEye93
ultmetal
JBall_Z
Fat Freddy
manny
thejokeriv
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 26  Next
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 7:54 pm

ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
The arena football team here (NM Stars) are struggling from what I've seen. I'm not a football fan, so I've not attended a game.
I think the whole league in general is struggling. 4 teams dropped out of the AFL last season. I can't speak for other franchises, but the Philly team has 2 HUGE factors to overcome:

1. They aren't the Eagles. Noone cares about football in this town if it ain't the Eagles.
2. The season goes too far into summer. After Memorial Day, weekends are spent outdoors watching the Phillies (no matter how bad they are) or at the Jersey shore (no matter how bad it is). Noone wants to sit indoors to watch a bunch of guys that couldn't make the NFL.

I'm curious to see what makes Gene & Paul think that LA will support an arena football team when they couldn't make an NFL franchise work there. I'm sure they'll add plenty of smoke & mirrors to the game presentation and make it all flashy, but in the end, people are coming to watch lousy football. What good is tasty icing on a cake that tastes like sh*t?
I've read that the Philadelphia Phantoms (AHL) team does really well despite the popularity of the Flyers.
plus minor league baseball does well in the philly region too.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 10:42 am

ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
The arena football team here (NM Stars) are struggling from what I've seen. I'm not a football fan, so I've not attended a game.
I think the whole league in general is struggling. 4 teams dropped out of the AFL last season. I can't speak for other franchises, but the Philly team has 2 HUGE factors to overcome:

1. They aren't the Eagles. Noone cares about football in this town if it ain't the Eagles.
2. The season goes too far into summer. After Memorial Day, weekends are spent outdoors watching the Phillies (no matter how bad they are) or at the Jersey shore (no matter how bad it is). Noone wants to sit indoors to watch a bunch of guys that couldn't make the NFL.

I'm curious to see what makes Gene & Paul think that LA will support an arena football team when they couldn't make an NFL franchise work there. I'm sure they'll add plenty of smoke & mirrors to the game presentation and make it all flashy, but in the end, people are coming to watch lousy football. What good is tasty icing on a cake that tastes like sh*t?
I've read that the Philadelphia Phantoms (AHL) team does really well despite the popularity of the Flyers.
The Phantoms did very well, but they had a wholly different fan-base. They were promoted as "see the Flyers stars of tomorrow TODAY". And they were much cheaper and readily available than Flyers tickets. And even then, their attendance took a hit when the weather turned nice.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37646

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 11:15 am

The KISS Coffeehouse (or is that Koffeehouse?) in Myrtle Beach is closing at the end of September.... get there soon to take advantage of the Going Out of Business Sale prices on merch. Very Happy

Blabbermouth wrote:
According to MyrtleBeachOnline.com, Kiss Coffeehouse — the specialty coffee retailer operating at Broadway at the Beach, an entertainment complex in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina — will close at the end of September.

"It's not that we didn't do well," Matthew Goldschmidt, the store’s general manager explained the reason for leaving, "it was just a steady decline."

Goldschmidt said that everything in the store, which includes KISS memorabilia, is marked down to sell.

Back in February, Kiss Coffeehouse was honored for the fourth consecutive year in the "Best Of The Grand Strand" competition (in the Specialty Food & Drink - Best Coffee Shop category) in Myrtle Beach. Over 56,000-plus total votes were cast by both locals and tourists alike, and 1,000-plus businesses competed for best-of honors in 68 unique, and special categories.

"Best Of The Grand Strand" is an annual competition sponsored by Myrtle Beach's local NBC affiliate, WMBF-TV.

The Grand Strand is a 60-plus-mile stretch of ocean front/beach along both the North and South Carolina coastlines

The Kiss Coffeehouse's theme revolves around the band KISS, who own the franchise. A number of items from KISS' stage shows, such as costumes, are also on display at the establishment.

The Kiss Coffeehouse, which opened to huge crowds in the summer of 2006, features signature KISS coffees, including Kiss Army Blend and French Kiss Vanilla, the Kiss Frozen Rockuccino, cookies, brownies and other sinful sweets.

The grand opening of the store was attended by founding KISS bandmembers Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley.

On July 9, 2006, Lisa-Holly Friedman and Ronald K Marukawa (two longtime KISS fans) were married on the premises, with Paul Stanley telephoning during the proceedings to wish them well.
Seven years?? I'm surprised it's been in business that long... it seemed like a pretty dumb idea from the get-go.

Anyone think we'll be seeing a similar announcement about the Arena Football team in a year or two?? Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 11:19 am

If you really think about it, have any KISS-themed ventures (other than the band itself) really had any lasting effect? Gene is always promoting the "next big KISS thing", then it sorta comes and goes with a whimper.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 11:19 am

I realized something yesterday about a Kiss album that I had really ignored - Lick It Up.  This album is as heavy, if not heavier than Creatures of the Night.  The title track and All Hell's Breaking Loose really don't reflect the rest of the album.  Exciter, Not For The Innocent, Young and Wasted, Fits Like A Glove, and Gimme More all rip.  Frankly, the two worst tracks are Lick It Up and All Hell's Breaking Loose.  Don't believe me?  Well take a listen:

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 11:23 am

I'd debate ya on that one. Razz I have long since jettisoned my copy of Lick It Up, however my copy of Creatures still gets regular spins from me.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37646

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 11:26 am

Quote :
I realized something yesterday about a Kiss album that I had really ignored - Lick It Up.  This album is as heavy, if not heavier than Creatures of the Night.  The title track and All Hell's Breaking Loose really don't reflect the rest of the album.  Exciter, Not For The Innocent, Young and Wasted, Fits Like A Glove, and Gimme More all rip.
Hard to believe that Lick It Up will be celebrating its 30th anniversary (!!) in a couple of weeks. I've always dug that record. Not sure if I like it better than Creatures, but it's still a pretty damn fine listen.

(Begins shameless self promotion)

I wrote a HubPage about Lick It Up's coming milestone a couple of weeks ago:

http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/Retro-Metal-Review-KISS-LICK-IT-UP-1983

(ends shameless self promotion) Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39590

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 11:32 am

Witchfinder wrote:
I realized something yesterday about a Kiss album that I had really ignored - Lick It Up.  This album is as heavy, if not heavier than Creatures of the Night.  The title track and All Hell's Breaking Loose really don't reflect the rest of the album.  Exciter, Not For The Innocent, Young and Wasted, Fits Like A Glove, and Gimme More all rip.  Frankly, the two worst tracks are Lick It Up and All Hell's Breaking Loose.

I love that album. They were touring for that album the first time I saw them live (with Accept opening in the old Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh) and was totally blown away. Maybe it's a little nostalgia because of that but I listen to Lick It Up quite a bit and it's easily in my top 5 for them.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 3:50 pm

LA KISS of Arena league extend contract offer to Tim Tebow

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/09/09/tim-tebow-la-kiss-job-offer-arena-football/2788261/

Tim Tebow and KISS, a match made in ... well, feel free to fill in the blank on that one.

But the members of the legendary rock group, now owners of the Arena Football League's expansion franchise in Anaheim, Calif. — LA KISS — officially extended a contract offer to the unemployed quarterback Monday.

The deal would be for three years and could be worth unspecified "millions." Tebow is the first player LA KISS has targeted.

"Acquiring Tebow would not only be a great investment for the team, but his exciting style of play would definitely send shockwaves through the League," said KISS bassist Gene Simmons, a.k.a. The Demon, in a press release.

"We're excited for the opportunity to see him with an LA KISS uniform on, and for the LA KISS fans to be rockin' their Tebow shirts and jerseys."

FOR THE WIN: KISS bringing pro football back to Los Angeles

KISS is obviously best known for its heavy licks, outrageous costumes and iconic black and white face paint.

Tebow is best known for his winning persona, team-first attitude, wobbly passes and, most notably, devout lifestyle. When he was accessorizing his mug at the University of Florida, he opted for eye black which referenced his favorite scriptures.

KISS has long denied suggestions that the band's name is an acronym with one "S" referring to Satan. (But they're not exactly Stryper, either.)

Even if Tebow was amenable to the entertainment DNA of these potential employers — he "is currently reviewing the offer" according to LA KISS — his camp has long resisted overtures from the Arena league and Canada. KISS is dangling the famous story of Kurt Warner, former Arena star turned two-time NFL MVP, as a carrot to Tebow, whose avowed dream remains making it as an NFL quarterback. The AFL is known for its pass-centric approach, and KISS believes it is fertile ground for Tebow to hone the aspect of his game NFL observers find most lacking.

"Similar to how Kurt Warner blossomed in the NFL after becoming one of the greatest quarterbacks in AFL history, we feel our league is the best place for Tim to refine his skills and gain valuable repetitions. We have tremendous faith in Tim's ability to succeed in the AFL." said team co-owner Brett Bouchy.

But give LA KISS and the band credit for this: They understand marketing and hype — how many KISS songs do you know besides Rock and Roll All Nite? — and aren't hiding their intentions with this ploy.

"Tim Tebow is one of the most recognized and respected athletes in sport." said Paul Stanley, KISS' longtime frontman.

"His joining us would mean great things for his fans and for our team, especially from a business standpoint. His credibility within the sports arena is paramount and with our commitment to bringing football without compromise back to LA, we're excited to see how this offer turns out."

Your move, Tim.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 3:56 pm

Pfft. Ron Jaworski and the Soul already did this back in May...

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/05/14/ron-jaworski-offers-tim-tebow-a-contract-with-the-soul/

Nice try, Gene!

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 8:02 pm

Kiss is trying to make headlines?? No... I dont believe it.

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12620

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 10:37 pm

Maybe they can "Hire" somebody to play wearing Tim Tebow's make-up ?

Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 12:39 am

007 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
I realized something yesterday about a Kiss album that I had really ignored - Lick It Up.  This album is as heavy, if not heavier than Creatures of the Night.  The title track and All Hell's Breaking Loose really don't reflect the rest of the album.  Exciter, Not For The Innocent, Young and Wasted, Fits Like A Glove, and Gimme More all rip.  Frankly, the two worst tracks are Lick It Up and All Hell's Breaking Loose.

I love that album. They were touring for that album the first time I saw them live (with Accept opening in the old Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh) and was totally blown away. Maybe it's a little nostalgia because of that but I listen to Lick It Up quite a bit and it's easily in my top 5 for them.
I understand completely. The first time I saw KISS was on the Asylum tour (with W.A.S.P. opening at the San Diego Sports Arena). It was awesome and as a result, I'll always have a soft spot for Asylum.  I still listen to it.  Some people think it's one of their worst albums ever, but I've always liked it (a lot).
Back to top Go down
Cliffy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

Number of posts : 415

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 11:10 am

The Paul songs on Asylum are incredible. The Gene songs...not so much.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Cliffy wrote:
The Paul songs on Asylum are incredible.  The Gene songs...not so much.
I love Asylum from front to back.

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 4:07 pm

I have fond memories of my friend buying Asylum, we played it once and both hated it SO much that we went out in the backyard and played frisbee with the LP.

Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
Cliffy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 4:13 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Cliffy wrote:
Secretly Cruel?  Ewwwww!

Seriously...the Gene songs on Asylum may be tolerable at times depending on your mood, but they in no way compare to the greatness that he came up with for Lick It Up!

Last edited by Cliffy on Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.steinhausmastering.com
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 4:14 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Cliffy wrote:
It's my favorite KISS album...

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 4:23 pm

Cliffy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Cliffy wrote:
Secretly Cruel?  Ewwwww!

Seriously...the Gene songs on Asylum may be tolerable at times depending on your mood, but they in no way compare to the greatness that he came up with for Lick It Up!
I like Lick It Up from front to back as well.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Cuz when I go through her, it's just like a hot knife through butter!

Everything about Lick It Up is perfect...I'm gonna have to listen to this album front to back tonight!

JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 5:54 pm

Cliffy wrote:
Cuz when I go through her, it's just like a hot knife through butter!

Everything about Lick It Up is perfect...I'm gonna have to listen to this album front to back tonight!
Sounds like a good plan!  CD or vinyl?

I love Lick It Up too.  I graduated High School in '83 and my favorite band took off their make-up.  Major mile stones for all.  It was time to grow up and get serious.  Well...as serious as a lug-headed heavy metal band and a KISS fan boy can get, that is. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cliffy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 6:38 pm

iPod!

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12620

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 12:46 am

I saw KISS in Dallas for Asylum w/ Black n Blue opening up. Paul and dude from Plasmatics wrote some catchy tunes on that album (if memory serves me correct) Lick It Up did a good job of keepin on with what was started with "Creatures" Ya know, that cohesive band effort throughout. Even if Derringer did play on "Exciter".

Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 8:20 pm

James B. wrote:
I saw KISS in Dallas for Asylum w/ Black n Blue opening up.   Paul and dude from Plasmatics wrote some catchy tunes on that album (if memory serves me correct)  Lick It Up did a good job of keepin on with what was started with "Creatures"  Ya know, that cohesive band effort throughout. Even if Derringer did play on "Exciter".
That would have been a good show.  I was into Black n Blue back then.  Especially the Without Love album.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 6:36 pm

The KISS Monster Mini Golf place here in Vegas still does really well. That place is small, but it is AMAZING to be there!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official KISS Thread Pt II   Official KISS Thread Pt II - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Official KISS Thread Pt II
Page 3 of 26Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 26  Next