Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)

Go down 
+19
Dellocatus
chewie
Temple of Blood
iamrockerfun
corplhicks
exact33
MEGATRON
Eyesore
Gilbert
James B.
tohostudios
journeyman
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
SpectreFate
manny
stormspell
mikeinfla
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 10:07 am

S.D. wrote:
Purpendicular is a damn good record, Now What?! is just a little better overall.  

Wow!!! That is a strong statement!!! I still have not gotten the album, but it is not at the top of my list
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 10:39 am

Speaking of Deep Purple:

1984 saw the long-awaited reunion of the classic Deep Purple Mark II lineup of Ritchie Blackmore, Ian Gillan, Roger Glover, Jon Lord and Ian Paice. It was the first time they had been together since 1973. They recorded a brand new studio album, Perfect Strangers, and headed out on tour. The band’s show in Melbourne, Australia was professionally filmed and is the only full-length concert recording of the band at this time.

The Perfect Strangers Live DVD is due out October 14th via Eagle Vision and is a stunning concert with the band in incendiary form. The setlist mixes then new tracks from the Perfect Strangers album with favorites from the early seventies culminating in the brilliant Smoke On The Water finale. This is without doubt one of the finest Deep PURPLE concerts ever filmed and a must have for their legions of fans.

Perfect Strangers Live is 141 minutes long and features the following tracks:

1. Highway Star
2. Nobody’s Home
3. Strange Kind Of Woman
4. A Gypsy’s Kiss
5. Perfect Strangers
6. Under The Gun
7. Knocking At Your Back Door
8. Lazy (including Ian Paice drum solo)
9. Child In Time
10. Difficult To Cure
11. Jon Lord Keyboard Solo
12. Space Truckin’ (with Ritchie Blackmore guitar solo)
13. Black Night
14. Speed King
15. Smoke On The Water

Bonus feature: Tour documentary

I will be grabbing this DVD, this tour was the only time I saw them live
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 11:01 am

I saw that and it is on my want list.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 12:14 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
I saw that and it is on my want list.

Same here.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 5:51 pm

manny wrote:
exact33 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
exact33 wrote:
thanks all! I am on my way to amazon now!
Let us know what you pick up
so a couple of months later and I am almost finished with my DP studio albums. I just need Deep Purple and Shades of Deep Purple. Thanks for all who gave suggestions - some really good stuff here!
You can't go wrong with Deep Purple.
well now I have both Shades of DP and DP so the studio album collection is finished!

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 6:32 pm

exact33 wrote:

well now I have both Shades of DP and DP so the studio album collection is finished!
Please tell me you also have Made In Japan. Deep Purple improvises a great deal in concert so the MANY available live albums are well worth pursuing.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 6:38 pm

S.D. wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Please tell me you also have Made In Japan.  Deep Purple improvises a great deal in concert so the MANY available live albums are well worth pursuing.
yeah. I actually have the remastered version with the second disc.

journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 9:09 pm

manny wrote:
Speaking of Deep Purple:

The Perfect Strangers Live DVD is due out October 14th

I will be grabbing this DVD, this tour was the only time I saw them live
From what I've heard the band was on top of their game on this tour, so this is a must.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 2:42 pm

Someone mentioned in the current Whitesnake thread that they'd like to hear Ian Gillan's take on some David Coverdale/Glenn Hughes-era Deep Purple. So I have to ask...

Has the current Ian Gillan-lead version of Deep Purple ever performed non-Ian DP songs from their past, either live or in studio?

Just wondering if they recognize that era or is it ignored?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 2:56 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Someone mentioned in the current Whitesnake thread that they'd like to hear Ian Gillan's take on some David Coverdale/Glenn Hughes-era Deep Purple. So I have to ask...

Has the current Ian Gillan-lead version of Deep Purple ever performed non-Ian DP songs from their past, either live or in studio?

Just wondering if they recognize that era or is it ignored?

I think it'd be really cool, but I don't know if Gillan even at his prime could have handled the... I don't know if I'm getting hoity-toity to call it "counterpoint" between Hughes and Coverdale on a lot of those songs. They might be able to find a way.

For my money, I'd be curious to hear the attempt because I'd bet money they'd dramatically reshape those songs if they attempted it. I don't imagine there's any ill feeling between the Coverdale camp and Team Gillan, right? I don't think I've ever heard of either party slinging mud at the other over the years, so I can't see why it'd cause any strife for the current Purple lineup to go for the Mark III/IV material.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 3:04 pm

I think we had a discussion here a few years ago about bands ignoring or acknowledging certain eras of their history for various reasons. You'll never hear DLR cover a Hagar composition or Vince Neil singing a Motley Crab song. But Bruce and Maiden have performed both DiAnno and Blaze-era tunes and Van Hagar has played DLR material. Just weird how that plays out.

I don't know my Purple history enough to say if there has ever been bad blood amongst the former singers or anything like that. Maybe someone here can enlighten us.

In the meantime, I think I'll start a new thread on bands "ignoring/acknowledging their past" topic.

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 6:59 pm

The only Deep Purple song that Gillan performs in which he didn't originally sing it is "Hush" (which is a cover anyway).

The only member of the current Purple lineup that was on either Burn or Stormbringer is Ian Paice. I see no earthly reason for them to perform any of those songs, there are so many songs with Gillan singing they can't possibly hit all of them live anyway.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 9:03 pm

The only time Deep Purple has performed any of the tunes of the David Coverdale days was way back in the early 1990's, when Joe Lynn Turner was the vocalist and they would open the show with 'Burn'
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 9:52 am

S.D. wrote:

I see no earthly reason for them to perform any of those songs, there are so many songs with Gillan singing they can't possibly hit all of them live anyway.  

They could do it just, ya know, for fun. I'm sure the fans would dig it if they broke into 'Stormbringer' live in concert one night, just for sh*ts & giggles.

I'm now starting to see why Coverdale is covering those old tunes. If Deep Purple isn't acknowledging that part of history, he might as well try to resurrect them and plug a few into Whitesnake's current setlist.

Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 10:22 am

Ian is so different than Coverdale, so I'm sure it would certainly be interesting. I don't think I've ever heard DP do any of the Coverdale material with Ian.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 12:49 pm

I imagine that hearing the present DP cover the Mark III/IV material would be similar to the Page/Plant "Unledded" thing where you'd get a lot of stylistic shifts. Hell, with their love for neo-classical meets eastern music, you'd probably get some VERY inventive changes to the material.

The curiosity factor alone kind of makes me wish they'd try it - at least on a song or two.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4