Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)

Go down 
+19
Dellocatus
chewie
Temple of Blood
iamrockerfun
corplhicks
exact33
MEGATRON
Eyesore
Gilbert
James B.
tohostudios
journeyman
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
SpectreFate
manny
stormspell
mikeinfla
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Empty
PostSubject: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 6:42 am

Sounds very uh... Mellow

Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 7:57 am

I dig it. Totally see myself on the porch sipping a cold one and watching the sunset while listening to this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 8:33 am

I love it, yes its a bit mellower then their 70's heyday, but its good and plus these men are all in their mid 60's with the expection of Steve Morse
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 9:14 am

Sounds like it could have been on Gillan's last solo effort.........which means I like it. Of course, a first day buy for me.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 10:06 am

It does sound a bit like Ian Gillan's last solo record. It's a mellow song but it doesn't mean the whole album is mellow.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 10:48 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Sounds like it could have been on Gillan's last solo effort.........which means I like it. Of course, a first day buy for me.

A first month buy from me, but then again I am a Deep Purple fanboy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 11:29 am

Fantastic chorus in that song. I'm really looking forward to it, I've enjoyed all the albums they've recorded with Steve Morse.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 11:40 am

Song sounds pleasant enough. Not that I'm buying any Deep Purple albums. But it's a decent tune.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Sounds cool..... I am sure I will be buying this one
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Good song. Looking forward to this.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Personally I don't hate this song but I can name a half dozen songs from Blackmore's Rainbow that rock harder than this yet people still like to rag on BR and Ritchie in particular for not rocking as hard as Deep Purple/Rainbow.
But somehow Deep Purple gets a pass...

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Go listen to any of the past several Deep Purple albums and there are mellow songs on all of them, shouldn't be that big of a shock for anyone that has actually been paying attention.

Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming, The Aviator and A Touch Away from Purpendicular.
Fingers To The Bone from Abandon
Haunted, Walk On and Never A Word from Bananas
Clearly Quite Absurd and Before Time Began from Rapture Of The Deep

I think some of those tunes are the best songs on those albums, no, they aren't hard rock songs...but Deep Purple has always been more than just a hard rock band.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 8:54 pm

That's not the point.

People love to rag on Blackmore's Night because they're nowhere near as hard rock as Deep Purple was in their hayday.

Personally I think almost anything Blackmore touches is gold but I get a little defensive when people rally around a track like this because it's recorded under the "Deep Purple" monicker yet those same people rag on Blackmore's Night for not being "heavy enough"

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 8:58 pm

I think Candice Night turns off a lot of people. Personally I have no idea why, but that's what I have been told on a few occasions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 8:59 pm

Blackmore's Night was never intended to be "heavy", people ragging on them for that reason aren't even worth the effort of getting upset over. Screw 'em.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 9:03 pm

S.D. wrote:
Blackmore's Night was never intended to be "heavy", people ragging on them for that reason aren't even worth the effort of getting upset over. Screw 'em.
Point taken.

But I'd be willing to bet if I'd posted the same link and called it the new Blackmore's NIght single the post would have either been ignored or slammed with haters. The point being calling something "Deep Purple" seems to carry a lot of weight around here.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 9:07 pm

tohostudios wrote:
The point being calling something "Deep Purple" seems to carry a lot of weight around here.

You sound like that's a bad thing. Personally I'm proud to be part of a community that understands DP's importance to the history of rock, rather than have them be seen as just the "Smoke On The Water" band.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 9:11 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
The point being calling something "Deep Purple" seems to carry a lot of weight around here.

You sound like that's a bad thing. Personally I'm proud to be part of a community that understands DP's importance to the history of rock, rather than have them be seen as just the "Smoke On The Water" band.
That's all well and good but I'm just questioning if Deep Purple gets a pass for this rather wimpy song because of their legacy where other bands putting out the same song would be ripped to shreds.
I bet if a band called "Toho's Kaiju Stompers" put out this exact same track, we'd see nothing but negative reviews.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 9:24 pm

I'll bow out with this:
When I first listened to this song my first reaction was "Geez, that's a mellow piece of crap for Deep Purple". But rather than post that, I decided to see what everyone else thought and as I predicted everyone but me thinks this song is good.

My hypothesis is that these results are because of the Deep Purple monicker.

EDIT: It's also possible that I'm tone deaf but it was an interesting experiment at any rate.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 pm

I read the lyrics that popped on the player as Ian sang and payed attentiion to the nuances with organ and guitar, as well as the vocal melody and realized this song could of been on "Perfect Strangers" and fit well with a bit of more crunchy-ness in the main chord progressions (chorus too)

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 10:56 pm

tohostudios wrote:

My hypothesis is that these results are because of the Deep Purple monicker.

Isn't it also possible that it's just a good song and the name of the band performing it doesn't matter?

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 11:00 pm

I liked it, and I admit I would almost give Deep Purple a pass on anything, but I am also huge Ritchie Blackmore fan, and I loved Rainbow, and enjoy his work with Blackmore's Night.

Even if I hated Blackmore's Night, I would still the utmost respect for the man, for following his muse and creating music he truly loves.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9885

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 6:02 am

Good song.

Happy to hear that Gillen still has a great voice.

Can't wait for the new album
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 6:42 am

Which one of you dick-knobs deleted my post?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 8:22 am

Eyesore wrote:
Which one of you dick-knobs deleted my post?

I had no idea you had posted on here about Deep Purple, I would love to know your opinion since I rarely see you chime in on classic metal/hard rock bands from this era
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next