Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)

Go down 
+19
Dellocatus
chewie
Temple of Blood
iamrockerfun
corplhicks
exact33
MEGATRON
Eyesore
Gilbert
James B.
tohostudios
journeyman
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
SpectreFate
manny
stormspell
mikeinfla
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 11:51 pm

It's been long enough with this band that crying for Blackmore is pointless. Morse has an extremely similar style albeit with signature flourishes and increased technique so I say more power to them. To augment this further, just look at their songwriting--strong stuff with every album. These two songs are amazing, proof that they age well and haven't lost their energy in the studio. I've yet to see them live, however. Regardless, more reasons why they're one of my top 10 favorite bands. I fricking love Deep Purple. listening to music
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 5:37 pm

sounds to me like Deam Theater meets Ian Gillan voice. first songs's voice mixability is horrible !
rest not bad, but different.
such a progresiv vibes tunes.
dont remember anything after 1st listen.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 7:48 pm

I got to hear the entire album and it's easily the best album they've done since Steve Morse joined the group. The two advance tracks didn't even hint at how good the album is overall.

Bob Ezrin ended up being a perfect choice, he's beautifully captured the sound of the group.

The whole record sounds very vibrant and alive, it's also their most progressive record since the 70s. It sounds 100% modern though, in no way is this a retro album.

I had high expectations that it was going to be a good album, I just didn't expect it to be a great album...

If this is the last Deep Purple record then they're going out on an incredibly high note.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 7:57 pm

S.D. wrote:
I got to hear the entire album and it's easily the best album they've done since Steve Morse joined the group. The two advance tracks didn't even hint at how good the album is overall.

Bob Ezrin ended up being a perfect choice, he's beautifully captured the sound of the group.

The whole record sounds very vibrant and alive, it's also their most progressive record since the 70s. It sounds 100% modern though, in no way is this a retro album.

I had high expectations that it was going to be a good album, I just didn't expect it to be a great album...

If this is the last Deep Purple record then they're going out on an incredibly high note.

I think I need to pick this up on release day!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 10:29 pm

I've never been more excited about a 21st-century DP release!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 11:01 pm

The first new song is pleasant but not anything I feel the need to buy.

I'm not a big Morse fan and don't think he's a great fit for this band. They needed a guitar player with some more "rock" to them (like Satch). Satch was probably actually influenced by DP in his formative years, was Morse? Or is this just a paycheck that's better than teaching guitar clinics?
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Or is this just a paycheck that's better than teaching guitar clinics?

17 years in the band? Yeah, it's probably just a paycheck for him.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 11:58 pm

Well, for starters, I doubt there's a single skilled guitar player who wasn't influenced by Blackmore. I'm positive Morse was because his style is very much a shadow of Blackmore's innovation of the time, infusing jazz, neo-classical, and blues, then throwing them together in a tornado of energy. Satriani, I dunno man, I've been hearing him since I was a kid, and I can't deny my ears when I say that he's the James Horner of the guitar virtuoso world: creative and accessible with melody-play, yet very limited in variation and has a tendency to self-cannibalize. He's also a somewhat mechanical player, even when he tried his hands at blues on his S/T. Morse on the other hand is a lot looser and more varied when it comes to soloing and more progressive when it comes to rhythm. He sounds like Blackmore, hands down, and we have to realize that the songs that DP have been writing since Morse came in have been written with him and his style in mind; Blackmore is no longer part of the picture.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 11:51 am

Just had to comment that Don Airey is a MONSTER on this record. If he were still with us I would say Jon Who? But sadly he's gone. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 11:58 am

This song shows off the interplay between Morse and Airey which is very tight after years of touring together. Especially evident during the jam section in the middle of the tune.

Not a bad song on the entire album.

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 12:03 pm

S.D. wrote:

I wasn't nuts about Jack Clement's "It'll Be Me", but I suppose that's just a bonus track.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 12:07 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I wasn't nuts about Jack Clement's "It'll Be Me", but I suppose that's just a bonus track.

The regular CD doesn't have that song on it. There is also a German-only bonus track called "First Sign Of Madness".

The album was recorded live in the studio with minimal overdubs (only vocals), when you have a band this talented/polished you don't need to make 50 attempts at a guitar track in a computer. Wink

Last edited by S.D. on Thu May 02, 2013 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 12:11 pm

S.D. wrote:
This song shows off the interplay between Morse and Airey which is very tight after years of touring together. Especially evident during the jam section in the middle of the tune.

I figured out how good Airey was when I started listening to Colisseum II. The interplay between Don Airey and Gary Moore is killer!

DP clips are good.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 6:05 pm

chewie wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I figured out how good Airey was when I started listening to Colisseum II. The interplay between Don Airey and Gary Moore is killer!

DP clips are good.
Oh yeah, Coliseum II is good. It took a long time to acquire the two releases. Glad I did.

I think Morse is a perfect fit for Deep Purple. I'm glad he's in a band now where more folks can hear him. A very underrated guitarist with chops, feel and versatility.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 2:50 am

Check this out...

Ian Gillan is 67.
Roger Glover is 67.
Ian Paice is 64.
Steve Morse is 58.
Don Airey is 64.

They still play circles around most people 1/2 their age or younger.

headbanger

and something a little sleazy...

Back to top Go down
Dellocatus
Metal student
Metal student
Dellocatus

Number of posts : 131

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 5:03 am

S.D. wrote:
Check this out...

Ian Gillan is 67.
Roger Glover is 67.
Ian Paice is 64.
Steve Morse is 58.
Don Airey is 64.

They still play circles around most people 1/2 their age or younger.

It's not despite of, but rather because of their age that they outperform a whole bunch of younger bands. Experience makes a huge difference. There are plenty of similar examples.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 4:13 pm

S.D. wrote:
I got to hear the entire album and it's easily the best album they've done since Steve Morse joined the group.

The whole record sounds very vibrant and alive, it's also their most progressive record since the 70's

[quote]high praise. Still waiting on mine to arrive and now I really can't wait.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Amusing B&W video for "Vincent Price". All hail the pole-dancing nun!!!!

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 7:06 pm

[quote="journeyman"]
S.D. wrote:
I got to hear the entire album and it's easily the best album they've done since Steve Morse joined the group.

The whole record sounds very vibrant and alive, it's also their most progressive record since the 70's

Quote :
high praise. Still waiting on mine to arrive and now I really can't wait.

Awesome. Can't wait to get it. I thought Purpendicular was one of their best with Morse.

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 8:41 pm

Purpendicular is a damn good record, Now What?! is just a little better overall.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 11:07 pm

Streaming the album now. This is great stuff. Time for a cigar and a martini.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 9:30 am

thejokeriv wrote:
exact33 wrote:
thanks all! I am on my way to amazon now!

Let us know what you pick up

so a couple of months later and I am almost finished with my DP studio albums. I just need Deep Purple and Shades of Deep Purple. Thanks for all who gave suggestions - some really good stuff here!

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 9:39 am

exact33 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
exact33 wrote:
thanks all! I am on my way to amazon now!

Let us know what you pick up

so a couple of months later and I am almost finished with my DP studio albums. I just need Deep Purple and Shades of Deep Purple. Thanks for all who gave suggestions - some really good stuff here!

You can't go wrong with Deep Purple.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 9:55 am

manny wrote:

You can't go wrong with Deep Purple.

happy Right on!
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 9:59 am

tohostudios wrote:
To me it ain't Deep Purple if Blackmore isn't in the band.   It's "Wading Pool Purple".

lol!  I have no opinion on this topic (I haven't heard it yet).....but that quote is just plain funny. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)   Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deep Purple - Now What?! (2013)
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next