Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.

Go down 
+30
thejokeriv
DakotaRogers
MetallicSeminarian
choosemetal
MetalRob331
metalinmyveins
Lurideath
Troublezone
Lari
DevZor
speed101
Grimmo
adrian
Alex Dee Rokket
nevermore
SideShowDisaSter
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
Leatherface
ultmetal
stormspell
Temple of Blood
mc666
Fat Freddy
EmoElmo
allthingsmetal
Dark Horseman
DallasBlack
Witchfinder
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 1:59 pm

EmoElmo wrote:

I personally don't understand the hate too, sure it wasn't thrash but it's all about good songwriting.

There is a certain demographic among thrash metal fans (or death metal fans, or black metal fans...hell, just "metal fans" in general) that are completely inflexible and unwilling to allow a band to introduce any kind of change into their sound. A band better keep trying to replicate the same album with minor changes over and over and over or they are committing a mortal sin. The instant a group tries to expand it's sound they cry BLASPHEMER!!!!

2-D fans in a 3-D world.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 3:06 pm

The only testament albums I have are the legacy, new world order, and dark roots of earth.

And that's the order of enjoyment too, I love the legacy and was stoked to hear them play it live in it's entirety when they opened for megadeth on the 20th anniversary rip tour. I didn't even mind that skolnick wasn't playing because they had drover filling in for him and I've always liked his playing. The band was crazy good and friggin heavy.

New Wold order... It's good and I always enjoy it when it's playing but after a spin it usually get shelved until I go on a old school thrash kick again.

Dark roots... I really, really liked this one for the first cour of days, then it just fell flat for me. As of now it has no staying power, but we'll see in a week or two how I feel when I revisit it.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 3:22 pm

DevZor wrote:

And that's the order of enjoyment too, I love the legacy and was stoked to hear them play it live in it's entirety when they opened for megadeth on the 20th anniversary rip tour. I didn't even mind that skolnick wasn't playing because they had drover filling in for him and I've always liked his playing. The band was crazy good and friggin heavy.
I hear that, was an amazing tour!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 6:16 pm

DevZor wrote:

New Wold order... It's good and I always enjoy it when it's playing but after a spin it usually get shelved until I go on a old school thrash kick again.
maybe that's why you can't recall the name of the album? Razz

DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 6:54 am

Bingo... I always have the same problem with anthax's persistence of reality album.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6335

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 7:26 am

This is pretty hard. I'd probably have to say "The New Order". That's my favourite. But I like all the Skolnick era albums a lot. Practise What You Preach would be right up there, too. And the last two, Formation and Dark Roots.

In general I prefer the early technical thrash metal sound to the later, "brutal", Testament.

A great band. Probably my second favourite thrash metal band after Annihilator. Or maybe just behind Slayer, too.

Anyway, they are awesome. I got to see them live twice, too.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 8:30 am

Is there anybody out there (in a strict Thrash metal sense) who can beat Chuck's range? The dude's unbelievably versatile, I wish I could sing like him
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 8:38 am

Favorite: Practice What You Preach
Least: Demonic
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 1:35 pm

I've never heard Demonic, but considering how it's considered the worst album by most people in this thread means I'll probably love it.

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 6:43 pm

if you like groovy thrash, with the same gruff vox that were used on parts of The Gathering album, then you'd like Demonic. contrary to what people claim, it's not a death metal album in any way.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 9:26 pm

I don't dislike the demonic album. I just rank it lower on my list because it seems a bit repetitive and out of character for Testament's classic style. But if you're in the mood for something really heavy, it's great.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 12:36 am

mc666 wrote:
if you like groovy thrash, with the same gruff vox that were used on parts of The Gathering album, then you'd like Demonic. contrary to what people claim, it's not a death metal album in any way.

These days I'm much more likely to listen to The Gathering than anything else, I'll definitely check out Demonic.

I've never heard Low either.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 3:18 am

from fave to least fave

Practice What You Preach
The New Order
Legacy
Low
The Gathering
Dark Roots Of Earth
The Ritual
Souls of Black
The Formation of Damnation
Demonic
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 12:59 pm

Testament albums favorite to least favorite:

The New Order> The Legacy> Practice What You Preach> The Formation of Damnation > Low> The Gathering > Souls of Black > Dark Roots of Earth > The Ritual > Demonic
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 1:20 pm

The Gathering is def my fav and one of my fav thrash albums ever....I also really enjoy Souls of Black, Low, and Demonic...

Least fav? The Legacy...

I do like all Testaments albums to some extent Smile Great band!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 1:33 pm

I finally got around to listening to "Low" recently and it's a pretty damn good album, I think it's a little too long and a couple of the lesser tracks could be deleted to make it a little leaner, but overall better than I anticipated.
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 2:25 pm

hmmm not the biggest Testament person but my fav is the Legacy and my least fav is probably Low.
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 2:43 pm

My ranking of the ones I have:

Practice What You Preach
The Gathering
The New Order
Dark Roots of the Earth

Like them all.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 6:36 pm

Out of the few Testament albums I own... (favorite to least favorite)

The Legacy (greatest debut of all time)
The Formation of Damnation (my best friend, freshman year)
Dark Roots of Earth (solid, but very much overrated)
Practice What You Preach (for when I need something easy-listening)
The New Order (alternative to counting sheep)
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 7:04 pm

S.D. wrote:
I finally got around to listening to "Low" recently and it's a pretty damn good album, I think it's a little too long and a couple of the lesser tracks could be deleted to make it a little leaner, but overall better than I anticipated.  
Did you ever listen to Demonic? I am curious if you think it is as bad as everyone else (aside from me) here does.

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 9:30 pm

Dark Roots keeps moving up my ranks of Testament albums, fantastic album! Every bit as good as Practice What You Preach (my first Testament album)
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Favorite

Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 17704

I must be the only person who didn't like Chuck's vocals on The Legacy. I didn't mind him after that but I still prefer Zetro.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 11:39 pm

mc666 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Did you ever listen to Demonic? I am curious if you think it is as bad as everyone else (aside from me) here does.

I haven't heard the entire album yet but I've sampled about half of it, what I've heard is badass. Chuck is actually great at the more intense vocals.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 1:44 am

S.D. wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

I personally don't understand the hate too, sure it wasn't thrash but it's all about good songwriting.

There is a certain demographic among thrash metal fans (or death metal fans, or black metal fans...hell, just "metal fans" in general) that are completely inflexible and unwilling to allow a band to introduce any kind of change into their sound.  A band better keep trying to replicate the same album with minor changes over and over and over or they are committing a mortal sin.  The instant a group tries to expand it's sound they cry BLASPHEMER!!!!    

2-D fans in a 3-D world.

Actually the truth is much simpler: a renowned thrash band tried to jump the bandwagon and came out with a very lukewarm groovy heavy metal album, which most of their fans didn't like. Change is a good thing when it is positive or at least constructive. Works for some, but in case of Testament failed them miserably. Good thing is, Testament learned their lesson fast, and ditched that experiment, making it an isolated failure. Some weren't so lucky (cough*metallica*cough)  Wink 
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 4:16 am

I was already bored with Testament before The Ritual came out, I thought Practice and Souls were both bland, a couple good tracks on each album and the rest was paint by numbers. Low, Demonic and The Gathering are all better from what I've heard.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next