Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.

Go down 
+30
thejokeriv
DakotaRogers
MetallicSeminarian
choosemetal
MetalRob331
metalinmyveins
Lurideath
Troublezone
Lari
DevZor
speed101
Grimmo
adrian
Alex Dee Rokket
nevermore
SideShowDisaSter
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
Leatherface
ultmetal
stormspell
Temple of Blood
mc666
Fat Freddy
EmoElmo
allthingsmetal
Dark Horseman
DallasBlack
Witchfinder
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Empty
PostSubject: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 5:49 pm

Okay folks, how about we list our favorite Testament album and least favorite. If you'd like, rank them all.

Favorite: The Gathering - a total rip-fest of awesomeness with Lombardo on drums. True Believer is sinister as all hell.

Least Favorite: Demonic - blah, too Death Metal for me but I really enjoy Hatreds Rise - even though it lifted parts of The Scorpions' Sails of Charon. I do have this album signed by Chuck Billy and I need to revisit it to see if my opinion has changed in the intervening years.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 8:27 pm

I have never hated any Testament album.

Favorite:

Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. 92_the_ritual
I'm probably one of the only people to call this their favorite Testament album but it was my first and the most memorable to me.

Least:

Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. 97_demonic
Never really got me wanting to hear it more than once (however, I was burned out on death metal at the time so that could have been a factor).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 8:29 pm

Practice what you preach. I listened to that thing a ton when it came out, shredfest.

Demonic is also my least because of the vocal style.
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 8:52 pm

Favorite:
--The New Order (still in the top ten of my all-time favorite metal cds)

Least Favorite:
--Demonic (not because it is death metal-ish, as I love death metal, just didn't like it).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:04 pm

Favorite - The Legacy, by a comfortable margin. Runner-up would be The Gathering.

Least Favorite - Souls Of Black, aside from the title track it was really uninspired, paint-by-numbers thrash.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:09 pm

From favorite to least favorite

1. The Ritual

2. The Gathering / Low (tie)

3. The New Order

4. PWYP

5. The Legacy

6. Souls O Black

7. Dark Roots Of Earth

8. TFoD / Demonic (tie)

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:13 pm

Favorite - toss up between Practice What You Preach and Low (who needs Alex Skolnick? James Murphy tore sh*t UP on that album!)

Least favorite: Demonic

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39466

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:41 pm

I would probably list Practice What You Preach as my favorite (toughcall,though).

My least favorite is definitely Demonic (the death metal vocals get tiresome quickly)
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:44 pm

faves are The Gathering, Demonic, & Low.
least faves The Ritual, The Formation of Damnation, & Dark Roots of Earth.

that said, i do like all the Testament albums to some degree.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Favorite: The Legacy, by far.
Least Favorite: Demonic
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:20 pm

Fave:

Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. 244

-----

Crape:

Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. 248

Although Demonic and the adjacent to it are not far behind on the crap list...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Favorite: Practice What You Preach

Least: Souls of Black

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18899

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:26 pm

I don't have all their records( I know, I should be shot), but of the ones I have my favorite is The Legacy(they've never came close to topping it) and my least favorite is The Ritual. Not a bad record just kind of decent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 9:32 am

Fav: The New Order
Don't Like: Demonic

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 9:49 am

Favorite: Practice What you Preach
Least:Demonic

I like them all to varying degrees.The Gathering or New Order would be second fave.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 10:38 am

Favorite: The New Order (though Practice and Legacy come close)

Least: The Ritual (by a HUGE margin)

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 4:25 pm

Favorite - Low
Least - The Ritual
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 7:03 pm

I'd rank them:

The Ritual (you haters have no taste Razz )
The New Order
Souls Of Black
Low
Practice What You Preach
Dark Roots Of Earth
The Legacy
The Gathering (used to be before Demonic but since rediscovering it I like it more than before)
Formation Of Damnation
Demonic
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 8:28 pm

You move Practice to the top and that'd be my list. Most days anyways. Razz Like many groups I have a favorite and the rest can shuffle around.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 1:10 am

I've yet to hear The Dark Roots of Earth so I cannot comment on this album. However I should be getting it fairly soon in about a week from now.

As for the rest of Testament's albums, this is how I rank them

1. New Order
2. Practice What You Preach
3. The Legacy
4. Souls of Black
5. The Gathering
6. The Ritual
7. The Formation of Damnation
8. Low
9. Demonic

I noticed some of you dislike The Ritual and generally this album was not well received by Testament fans. I always saw this album as Testament's attempt at creating their own Black Album. It has the crunchy groove songs, the ballads and some shades of speed (though nothing like the older albums). It was experimental and it didn't do any wonders for the band. Nevertheless I like the sound. Not a heavy rotation album but I can find the right mood for it.

Demonic is easily their weakest and not because they tried a heavier sound. It is primarily because the album sounds incomplete. The ideas are great but the songwriting is rushed and for most part seems unfinished. To my ears this sounds like a glorified demo - it showcases Testament's abilities to sound heavier, verging on death metal but the songs fail to impress.

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 3:11 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

Demonic is easily their weakest and not because they tried a heavier sound. It is primarily because the album sounds incomplete. The ideas are great but the songwriting is rushed and for most part seems unfinished. To my ears this sounds like a glorified demo - it showcases Testament's abilities to sound heavier, verging on death metal but the songs fail to impress.
no way is this incomplete. some outstanding songs to be found here.

Last edited by mc666 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/mc666
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 3:57 am

Favorite is definitely The Legacy.

Least favorite is a tougher call for me. The album I probably listen to least is Practice What You Preach but I do like it, just not as much as some others.

I see quite a few naming Demonic as least favorite; I actually really enjoy it. Demonic Refusal, Murky Waters, Hatred's Rise, etc. make for a good album in my opinion
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 4:37 am

I have all their albums.

I probably listen to Demonic less times than the others. Still a good album though.

To pick a favourite would be a tough call for me - it could be Legacy or The New Order. headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 5:22 am

I havent heard anything past 1989 so their first 3 albums are my favorites.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 6:54 am

DallasBlack wrote:
I'd rank them:

The Ritual (you haters have no taste Razz )

I personally don't understand the hate too, sure it wasn't thrash but it's all about good songwriting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.   Your favorite and least favorite Testament album. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your favorite and least favorite Testament album.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next