Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cheap Trick

Go down 
+21
mr.electric39
Nomadic Drifter
mikeinfla
mlotek
bass63
jettafiend
BigGlen
theAcorn
speed101
jstate
ZombieHavoc
metalinmyveins
MetalGuy71
manny
James B.
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
Dark Horseman
tohostudios
brokentulsa
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

Cheap Trick - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
Quote :
Please explain this to me when I hear guitar amplification in both the songs posted, thanks.

No Keyboards or synthesisers

Thanks, seems it might of been easier to just say that in the first place. To my ears when somebody says a "rock n roll" band is doing an album with no electronic instruments, it is meant that they are doing an acoustic album.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 2:41 am

This band has alot of releases...
Next up is Cheap Trick aka Cheap Trick '97. It features a black n white picture like the first Cheap Trick album. It has a stripped down sound much like the 1977 album also titled Cheap Trick. It is only available now as an mp3 download. The album was recorded on the Red Ant/Alliance label who filed bankruptcy 3 weeks after this albums release.
Cheap Trick - Page 4 220px-Cheaptrick1997album
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 2:43 am

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 7:51 am

I have that self titled disc and I love it, one of my favorites from the band. A heavier album, and an album where the lads took their various influences, and influences from the alternative band then surrounding the music scene and created this great album that most people did not get a chance to hear.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 4:00 pm

Don't think I ever heard it but that's a pretty good song.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:33 am

brokentulsa wrote:
This band has alot of releases...
Next up is Cheap Trick aka Cheap Trick '97. It features a black n white picture like the first Cheap Trick album. It has a stripped down sound much like the 1977 album also titled Cheap Trick. It is only available now as an mp3 download. The album was recorded on the Red Ant/Alliance label who filed bankruptcy 3 weeks after this albums release.
Cheap Trick - Page 4 220px-Cheaptrick1997album

I'm pretty sure that was the album that kindled my interest in Cheap Trick. Of course I new of them and their hits, but I don't think I owned anything at that point.

I bought that album as a new release from Tower Records and it came with a 2nd bonus disc with a couple of cover tunes if memory serves. After hearing what a great album it was, I started back tracking, picking up other CT albums whenever and whereever I could find them.

EDIT: Bonus tracks...'Baby Talk' is an original tune.

'Brontosaurus' was originally recorded by The Move

Both are excellent and it's a shame they were limited to "bonus tracks". They could have should have appeared on the album.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 12:18 pm

What does, she can really do the brontosaurus, even mean?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 1:40 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
What does, she can really do the brontosaurus, even mean?

No idea. Maybe it's an old dance move from the 50's, like The Bristol Stomp or the Mashed Potato.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 1:57 am

I just saw these guys last week. I walked into the concert knowing about 3 songs by them and I was absolutely blown away! I did not get a pop "vibe" at all but rather the songs that they played are strait up American hard rock with a heavy dose of punk. I really liked what I heard and I need to check into the back catalog deeply. And it was a great show.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 12:42 pm

Coming soon to a state fair near you...Bun E. Carlos' Cheap Trick!!

Quote :
Estranged Cheap Trick drummer Bun E Carlos has sued the rest of the band for hundreds of thousands of dollars, saying they have no right to keep using the band name without him.

He’s joined in the action by former manager David Frey, who says he’s still owed money for covering the band’s costs after the 2011 stage collapse which destroyed their equipment.

Carlos claims his ex-colleagues failed to stick to an agreement that saw him removed from the lineup while remaining a full member of the band for business purposes.

He was sidelined in 2010 and replaced by guitarist Rick Nielsen’s son Daxx, in circumstances which have never fully been explained. Cheap Trick said at the time: “Bun E Carlos is not currently the touring drummer for Cheap Trick. Bun E remains a band member. Everyone is healthy and Cheap Trick will continue to tour as planned.”

Last year the drummer admitted he hadn’t spoken to Nielsen, Robin Zander or Tom Petersson in some time, adding: “Solely as an accommodation to some of the band members I reluctantly agreed to take a temporary hiatus from touring. The other members have never seriously talked to me about leaving the band permanently.”

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39466

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 12:46 pm

Man, these band squabbles have gotten very old.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 1:03 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Coming soon to a state fair near you...Bun E. Carlos' Cheap Trick!!

Quote :
Estranged Cheap Trick drummer Bun E Carlos has sued the rest of the band for hundreds of thousands of dollars, saying they have no right to keep using the band name without him.

He’s joined in the action by former manager David Frey, who says he’s still owed money for covering the band’s costs after the 2011 stage collapse which destroyed their equipment.

Carlos claims his ex-colleagues failed to stick to an agreement that saw him removed from the lineup while remaining a full member of the band for business purposes.

He was sidelined in 2010 and replaced by guitarist Rick Nielsen’s son Daxx, in circumstances which have never fully been explained. Cheap Trick said at the time: “Bun E Carlos is not currently the touring drummer for Cheap Trick. Bun E remains a band member. Everyone is healthy and Cheap Trick will continue to tour as planned.”

Last year the drummer admitted he hadn’t spoken to Nielsen, Robin Zander or Tom Petersson in some time, adding: “Solely as an accommodation to some of the band members I reluctantly agreed to take a temporary hiatus from touring. The other members have never seriously talked to me about leaving the band permanently.”
Interesting....I guess Bun E. didn't have a problem with the band going on without founding member Tom Petersson from 80-87, who was replaced by Jon Brant, all the while continuing on with the name. I live in Rockford, where the band is from. Carlos is a home body, so much so, that I can often find C.D's, which have been donated by the man throughout the Rockford Public Library system. It turns out that Bun E had quite the fascination with early grunge emanating out of the Seattle area. He also can be seen playing with various local acts. Bun E. hasn't been the touring drummer for a few years. In many respects, this resembles the Van Halen situation, due to the fact that Rick Nielsen's son Daxx is the touring drummer. I'm guessing Bun E. wanted back in, and Rick told them they were doing fine with his son on the kit.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 7:43 pm

Great underrated album by a fantastic band.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 1:14 am

Next Up...Special One...Special One is an album by the band Cheap Trick. It was released in 2003 to mixed reviews and features the single "Scent of a Woman." It charted for one week, reaching 128 on the album charts.
Cheap Trick - Page 4 51%2BuUPs51OL._SY300_
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 1:16 am

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 10:04 am

brokentulsa wrote:
Next Up...Special One...Special One is an album by the band Cheap Trick. It was released in 2003 to mixed reviews and features the single "Scent of a Woman." It charted for one week, reaching 128 on the album charts.

The only thing I really remember about this album is that I picked it up dirt cheap during the Tower Records everything-must-go sale. It's probably due for a fresh spin. I don't recall it being bad or horrible, just not a frequent spinner when I'm in the mood for some Cheap Trick.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 12:39 pm

Standing on the Edge (1985), The Doctor (1986), Lap of Luxury (1988), and Busted (1990) were all boring.
I bought them used and was sorely disappointed because only the major radio/video hits that teenage girls would like were the good songs.

After that, sold off all of my Cheap Trick LP's, but later regretted it.

The 1970s-era to All Shook Up (1980) were all excellent.
The debut album was kind of raw, and an older guy told me his friends considered it a punk rock classic at the time.
Still don't think have heard any albums after "Busted". Will have to change that.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 2:26 pm

Re-reading this thread reminded me that I need to fill some major gaps in my CT collection. I'm missing out on a lot of their mid-80's output.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 2:43 pm

brokentulsa wrote:

I had this on colored vinyl, one copy green the other red. I have NO IDEA where they are now. Interesting thread as I just came across this Cheap Trick discography. I thought of this album yesterday and started searching for it online. I worked at a classic rock station when it was released and they sent us a CD copy and 2 vinyl copies. Man, wish I knew what happened to them.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 10:33 pm

I remember liking the album, but I can't remember a thing from it, will have to re-visit the album sometime this weekend
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 5:37 pm

brokentulsa wrote:

I loved that & still play it quite often. I love the song Best Friend.
Back to top Go down
Nomadic Drifter
Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 9:24 am

Late to the Party

I've recently revisited my Cheap Trick Collection.  In regard to Special One, it's hit or miss for me.  Stand out tracks IMO would be 1. Scent of a Women, 4. Pop Drone, 7. Sorry Boy, 8. Best Friend and 9. If I could.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 3:47 pm

Just two or three days I ago I was listening to a bunch of Cheap Trick stuff via youtube.... They've always been a band I've enjoyed.... If I had to make a list of say top 30 or 40 acts they'd be on it.... heck even top 20....

Great songs and having read through this thread I was thinking of revisiting their stuff post 1983..... Never really delved into that part of their catalog but I'm intrigued.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 3:53 pm

James B. wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:
Quote :
Please explain this to me when I hear guitar amplification in both the songs posted, thanks.

No Keyboards or synthesisers

Thanks, seems it might of been easier to just say that in the first place. To my ears when somebody says a "rock n roll" band is doing an album with no electronic instruments, it is meant that they are doing an acoustic album.

"Electronic" and "Electric" are two different things...
Back to top Go down
Nomadic Drifter
Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2014 4:39 pm

re: Cheap Trick - post 1983.  

IMO - check out Woke up With a Monster (1994).  Only one or two tracks I skip.  

I'm only missing one or two albums (post 83) but those that I do have I tend to hit the skip button fairly often....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Trick   Cheap Trick - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cheap Trick
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next