Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette

Go down 
+16
John Madden
Required Fields
glassprison
Dave the Boss
7thSaviour
YngwieDokkenfan
TrogDawn
stevegarveyfan
sam
manny
arttieTHE1manparty
mr.electric39
thejokeriv
T-Roy
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

"The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Empty
PostSubject: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 9:47 am

"The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Stryper-1

Thought I'd throw this out there to see if the Christian metal experts on this board know anything about it. This is a Christian ministry tape I've had for over fifteen years called THE PETERS BROTHERS INTERVIEW STRYPER: WHOSE SIDE ARE THEY ON? I got it as a free gift with an order from a rock mail-order company called "Big Rage," who were kinda like a Christian rock version of the Columbia House record club, around 1990. I do know it's not an official Stryper release, the copyright info on it sez it was published by "Truth About Rock Ministries" in 1987.

Anyway, on this tape "The Peters Brothers" (two guys who look like they've been hanging with Ned Flanders - check out Steve's stylin' sweater vest and tie combo! Haha!) talk a lot about the controversial (at the time) Stryper and discuss whether or not they can truly be considered a "Christian" band because they have long hair, they dress funny, they play loud music, they hang out with non-Christian rockers, etc., etc. Much of this discussion is pretty much (unintentionally) hilarious. (My college friends and I used to listen to this tape and laugh at how clueless these dudes were.) The program lasts for about an hour and even though it's billed as an "interview" with Stryper, the only band member they actually speak to on the tape is Robert Sweet, and his comments only take up a few minutes of the running time. (Michael and Robert's Mom Janice, who was managing Stryper at the time, and their Dad also appear briefly.)

My favorite moment is when the Peters Brothers ask Robert why they play concerts for non-Christian crowds, and his response is something along the lines of "Why would we want to play strictly for Christians? That's like going to Mexico to teach Spanish." (You TELL'EM Bob!) At the end of the tape the Peters Brothers' final analysis is that it's up to each individual listener to pray about it and decide for themselves whose side Stryper is really on, which always sounded like a pretty major cop-out to me.
lol!

Adding to the surrealism factor of this program is that there are a few breaks for commercials pushing  the Peters Brothers' other books and tapes, which leads me to believe that this interview must've been aired on the radio at some point.

So why am I posting about it here? Well, because even though I've had this tape for going on seventeen years now, I know next to nothing about it. I've never seen another copy of it anywhere, I have never heard of the Peters Brothers or "Truth About Rock" Ministries before or since (until I noticed someone refer to them in another thread here the other day, which is what prompted me to dust off this tape!) and I have several questions. Was this tape part of a series? Did the Peters Bros. interview other bands? If so, which ones? Is this cassette some kind of oddball Stryper collectible? (I don't plan on trading or selling it, I'm merely curious.) I've looked for it on eBay and some Stryper related web sites in the past and have never seen a mention of it.

Any insight that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading my ramble!

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:38 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 10:00 am

I use to have this. It is rather amusing. No, it's not an official Stryper release.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 10:03 am

Never heard or seen it. Sounds pretty durn funny though. I remember
shortly after my dad giving me my first Stryper tape. I started reading
his CCM magazines. (Contemporary Christian Music magazine) and idiots
like this, were always just bashing all these bands. I always had a ton
more respect for my dad considering he had already read all that but
didn't buy into it, and still opened that venue for me. 🤘
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 10:06 am

T-Roy wrote:
Never heard or seen it. Sounds pretty durn funny though.

Oh yea, there's some funny stuff in there. One of the brothers went to a Stryper concert to prepare for the "interview" so the other guy is asking him stuff like "Did you see any drugs and alcohol being consumed at the concert? Were the band members moving their bodies in suggestive ways?"

:lol!:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 2:46 pm

I have a cdr of it. Kind of an interesting listen.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 3:37 pm

I remember it - I heard it years ago. My impression of the "peters bros" is that they were self proclaimed experts on how "christians" need to live their life.

I remember the "did you see any drugs or alcohol being consumed" - well I sure did when I saw Stryper in 91 - I was consuming alcohol! LOL!
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 11:18 pm

I used to have that. They wrote some 'anti-rock' books and were a big deal back in the day. That was when Stryper cared about whether the church was behind 'em or not. (not a slam on them)....

Sorta like if "Pat Boone approved it, it must be ok...."...
They wrote a book I believe that was called 'Why knock Rock?'

Al Menconi was in the same camp as these guys back then...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 8:49 am

mr.electric39 wrote:

Yea, I believe one of the "commercials" during the interview is for the "Why Knock Rock" book.
I'm still curious if this Stryper interview tape was a one shot or if there are any others out there with different bands. One of the brothers talks about going to "secular" concerts to check out whether or not they're "safe" for Christian kids to attend their shows, he sez he's been to a Kiss show, a Prince show, etc., etc.... I would love to hear these dudes sitting down with KISS! Gene Simmons would cut them to ribbons in nothing flat... Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 12:29 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:

I would love to hear these dudes sitting down with KISS! Gene Simmons would cut them to ribbons in nothing flat... Laughing very hard

Yeah, that would be funny! Or, Gene might just play "Thou Shall Not" off Revenge - he supposedly wrote it for Ken Tamplin
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 8:24 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:

Yea, I believe one of the "commercials" during the interview is for the "Why Knock Rock" book.
I'm still curious if this Stryper interview tape was a one shot or if there are any others out there with different bands. One of the brothers talks about going to "secular" concerts to check out whether or not they're "safe" for Christian kids to attend their shows, he sez he's been to a Kiss show, a Prince show, etc., etc.... I would love to hear these dudes sitting down with KISS! Gene Simmons would cut them to ribbons in nothing flat... Laughing very hard

I would venture to say No.... These guys made their money, as did the book distributors. Stryper was so devisive back then. Anything that had their name on was a lighting rod for Argument and Bucks.... I worked in the Christian Book Industry for 3 years, between 86-89. I never saw another cassette in that type of format. Plenty of 'rock is satanic' stuff, but not like the tape you know hold in your hot little hand..... Trully a piece of nostalgia from another time...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 10:47 pm

Yep...have it.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:40 pm

Bumpin' this cuz Manny just mentioned the Peters Brothers in another thread so I thought he might find it interesting. Smile

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:45 pm

It sounds hilarous and I actually went to one of their 'rallies', very scary and funny at the same time. I did discover rock music at anti rock rally this time by a Rev Billy Mayo. It made me more curious than fearful of rock music, figured if this many people are scared of it than it has be great.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:51 pm

manny wrote:
It sounds hilarous and I actually went to one of their 'rallies', very scary and funny at the same time. I did discover rock music at anti rock rally this time by a Rev Billy Mayo. It made me more curious than fearful of rock music, figured if this many people are scared of it than it has be great.

Yea, it truly is an odd little listen. Now that I'm thinking about it again I may dust it off and put it in the ole cassette deck in the car for the ride to work tomorrow.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:50 pm

Til this day I have no idea why some Christians feel or felt rock music was so threatening.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 4:46 pm

manny wrote:
Til this day I have no idea why some Christians feel or felt rock music was so threatening.

cause it didn't adhere to their views or beliefs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:25 pm

When I read the title of this thread, I guessed at which tape you were talking about. I was right. Used to have it, but I'm not sure what I did with it.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:15 am

manny wrote:

I know what you mean. I, for one, do not believe that God created us to spend every second of our lives on our knees in prayer in worship. Even Jesus went to weddings, heck he took care of the "beer run" when they ran out of wine!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 10:06 am

thejokeriv wrote:

I know what you mean. I, for one, do not believe that God created us to spend every second of our lives on our knees in prayer in worship. Even Jesus went to weddings, heck he took care of the "beer run" when they ran out of wine!

I also don't remember in the Bible where Jesus had a "building fund" or required 10% of his disciples earnings to follow him.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 10:28 am

SpectreFate wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

I also don't remember in the Bible where Jesus had a "building fund" or required 10% of his disciples earnings to follow him.

You missed that part? You didn't read where Jesus automatically got 10% of the disciples fish? You didn't read about the big, new church that Jesus was going to build?

LOL! Don't get me started on the "tithe", which was the old testament version of income tax for the government of time (which was a theocracy)
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 12:10 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I use to have this. It is rather amusing. No, it's not an official Stryper release.
But those guys certainly made sure the Stryper logo was prominently displayed for maximum sales potential, eh? What a Face

headbanger @ joker & spec!
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:27 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I use to have this. It is rather amusing.

+1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:46 pm

If you have this, i will beat you up and take it from you.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:54 pm

The Peter Brothers crusade against rock music, in particular heavy metal was absurd at best, they helped turn their Lord and Saviour into a parody, made a mockery of salvation by pointing their finger at some random Black Sabbath album that they did not only understand but knew that their targeted audience was even more ignorant on the subject then they were. Blamed them and other bands for the rebellion their children were expressing and saying that they are to blame, and than they would gather together (after passing the collection plate around) burn albums, and somehow this would bring you closer to God, what a joke.

Parents who are having problems with their children, instead blaming a rock or hip hop album I have a suggestion, try parenting.

Their book 'Why Knock Rock' besides being inaccurate commits even a bigger sin by being boring and having terrible prose.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 12:29 pm

manny wrote:
The Peter Brothers crusade against rock music, in particular heavy metal was absurd at best, they helped turn their Lord and Saviour into a parody, made a mockery of salvation by pointing their finger at some random Black Sabbath album that they did not only understand but knew that their targeted audience was even more ignorant on the subject then they were. Blamed them and other bands for the rebellion their children were expressing and saying that they are to blame, and than they would gather together (after passing the collection plate around) burn albums, and somehow this would bring you closer to God, what a joke.

Parents who are having problems with their children, instead blaming a rock or hip hop album I have a suggestion, try parenting.

Their book 'Why Knock Rock' besides being inaccurate commits even a bigger sin by being boring and having terrible prose.

LOL!!!! If anything, Metal can help relieve frustations and teen angst.

The peters brothers could stand to be thrown into a rough mosh pit Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next