Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette

Go down 
+16
John Madden
Required Fields
glassprison
Dave the Boss
7thSaviour
YngwieDokkenfan
TrogDawn
stevegarveyfan
sam
manny
arttieTHE1manparty
mr.electric39
thejokeriv
T-Roy
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
YngwieDokkenfan
Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

Number of posts : 112

"The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 12:59 am

sam wrote:
manny wrote:
Til this day I have no idea why some Christians feel or felt rock music was so threatening.

cause it didn't adhere to their views or beliefs.

These guys take me back to the Franciscan Brothers who taught our religion class in Catholic High School back in the late eighties. These dudes literally played Stairway to Heaven backwards for us in class. The lyrics sounded like absolutely nothing at all as they were totally garbled, yet these dudes were convinced that you could hear things being said like "Worship Satan", and told us that the hard rock bands had purposely planned their lyrics so that, when played backwards, their was a clear satanic message.

The funniest part about all of this was how outdated and not up with what was current these Franciscan Brothers were. They never mentioned WASP, The Bulletboys, or even DIO. Instead, they were focused on Zeppelin, Queen, and, especially, Blue Oyster Cult. They were in a total tizzy over Blue Oyster Cult, LOL!!! Being that these bands were already on the old side to us students, we pretty much decided that these dudes were off of their rockers. We agreed amongst ourselves to not tell them about Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, or any other current bands. I asked in class about Jethro Tull, and was told that all of their songs were devil worship, and that I should throw my cassettes in the garbage. Tull is still one of my favorite bands, LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 1:29 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I use to have this. It is rather amusing. No, it's not an official Stryper release.
Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 11:20 am

7thSaviour wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
I use to have this. It is rather amusing. No, it's not an official Stryper release.
Laughing very hard

Why exactly did he find this statement so hilarious? surprised

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 11:01 am

Oh man... I'd love a dub or rip of this!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 10:59 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
Oh man... I'd love a dub or rip of this!

I wish I could help ya Boss, but the only cassette deck I have anymore is in my car... I have no way to copy it Sad

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 2:02 pm

Mega-ultra necro thread bump...

I recently sold off the remainder of my cassette collection via a music trade/sell group on Facebook, including this Peters Brothers tape. I kinda hated to let it go cuz it was such a weird and random little collectible, but I have not owned a cassette player in many years, nor do I have any plans on acquiring a new one anytime soon, so it was just gathering dust.

Since then I'd kinda been half-heartedly trying to find a digital copy of it out there on the internets. I was actually kinda surprised that nobody had uploaded it to YouTube after all this time. Earlier this week though, I finally came across a download of it on some guy's blog so I was like "WOOHOO!"

I've only had time to listen to the first part (or "side 1") of this "interview" so far but it's been quite hilarious to revisit. These Peters Brothers guys have spent more time pimping their other anti-rock books/videos and jacking themselves off than talking about Stryper. If memory serves, the only Stryper guy they talk to is Robert Sweet and he even sounds annoyed by them. Haha!

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon May 13, 2019 12:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Hey Freddy, can you PM the link that blog? I had never heard of this until today. Sounds hilarious!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2019 2:09 pm

glassprison wrote:
Hey Freddy, can you PM the link that blog? I had never heard of this until today. Sounds hilarious!

You got it boss.

Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28392

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2019 2:37 pm

I know that a lot of followers of the Christian metal community refuse to support or acknowledge secular metal in any way. A handful of them have even slandered Christian metal bands for wearing attire of secular metal bands or covering a song by a secular metal band. I can see them acting like this if it were a heavily anti-Christian band such as Deicide, or a band with the lyrics most likely to shock, such as Devourment, but even the most lyrically "normal" secular metal bands (nothing anti-Christian/anti-religion, nothing too violent or disturbing, and not even a single swear word), seeing the Christian metal bands acknowledge their existence makest their blood boil. Not all, obviously, but they're there.

I wonder if the Christian rap or Christian punk communities are the same way. (I mention those genres because metal, rap, and punk are the three main genres of music that seem to get moral panic from moral crusader types, who, more often than not, do happen to be religious.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2019 11:17 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
glassprison wrote:

You got it boss.
Fred, I'd like to see that as well. PM me if you could, Thanks
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 12:02 pm

Here's 'The Truth About Rock" featuring the Peters Brothers for those interested in a blast from the shameful past.

I don't have the time to watch the whole hour of it, but the little I did view was quite entertaining. Some nifty old footage in there. As well as the dangers of Olivia Newton John and Alan Parsons. BEWARE!!!!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 12:25 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Here's 'The Truth About Rock" featuring the Peters Brothers for those interested in a blast from the shameful past.

I don't have the time to watch the whole hour of it, but the little I did view was quite entertaining. Some nifty old footage in there. As well as the dangers of Olivia Newton John and Alan Parsons. BEWARE!!!!

The Stryper program contains a couple of commercials for this book & video set!

I haven't watched it but seriously, guys... Olivia Newton John? Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 12:36 pm

OK, I previously said I don't have time to watch this? Truth is, I CAN'T STOP WATCHING THIS. It's fascinating. I'm about midway through and there is an ad in about their interview with Gene Simmons. For $15, you can get the cassette tape of it. That's gotta be spectacular. These 2 guys interviewing Gene Simmons?

And Olivia Newton John is just the tip of the iceberg with these guys. They have a problem with just about EVERYONE that was on rock radio between 1964 and 1987. If you're finding issues with John Denver, maybe it's time to take a step back and reevaluate your life choices.

Someone in the YouTube comments said that these guys got started on their crusade when their mother objected to a Beach Boys album they brought home one day. The freakin' Beach Boys.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 2:39 pm

My mom would rent Truth About Rock from our local Bible House (yes, that's what they called them, funny story the one that closed down near us became a Waffle House). I loved watching it, but not for the reasons my mom had hoped. Totally backfired on her lol, happy mother's day mom. I wish I had this tape.

You know, none of this has ever really surprised me. I've always understood the motives behind the evangelical right's pluralized efforts to exploit rock n roll as the devil's music. Being a christian can mean struggling with a really reactive lifestyle, especially when one has previous generations to mirror. Fundamentals like the Peters imagine the goal is to live in a vacuum where total growth has already taken shape and the only way to stay vigilant is found in the virtues of mosaic law. I remember thinking the way the Peters did (do?). It's an easy trap to fall privy to, even easier when your entire peer base is made up of similar folk. It took a few years of adulthood to realized that a) people are individual characters on a wide-ass spectrum and not required to live sharply-regulated lives, and b) I can carefully take things under consideration for a certain window of time, pray about them, consider opposing viewpoints, and hope to have a clean perspective of the issue or issues at hand. I discovered I can research, and not research for my validity alone. I can ride the fence here and there. I'm not suppose to get quickly offended and lash out because WWJD. I admit I still struggle with the knee-jerk deal (really had to learn to outgrow that on social media as perhaps some of you might have seen), but when I say I was heavily sanctified in the church and prepped to become so reactive, I fell like I'm making an understatement. You should see my mom these days.

But why were these people, even myself for a (thankfully) short time, up in arms about heavy metal, I mean rock, I mean pop, I mean crap nearly every genre makes this umbrella? Taking metal as the extreme example for the sake of argument, we have to realize that this shit was scary back in the day. Scary. For religious homes that never had a brush with an R rated movie (we weren't allowed PG-13!), allowed only classic literature, saw nude photography as purely brothel-activity sex crimes, and working toward an unlimited-power type of shelter for the children--I could go on, but in the end being exposed to the devil's music in its primal stages came off as way more than sound and fury. Hell, the lyrical content of a Venom album makes for the worst example of family values.

[Almost done here] Satanic panic was a legitimate concern. The imagery alone was the stuff of nightmares. However, guys like the Peters basically just spurred things on. This Stryper tape was good marketing! The editing in Truth about Rock was terrifying! If anything all this shit did was promote the devil's music in the most tempting fashion possible. I saw quite a few of these as a kid, not just the Peters (I'd have to stretch my head to remember, they may be up on YouTube), some even on horror movies and the occult, and my eyes and ears would be filled with all sorts of evil cool drenched in violence, nudity, drugs, etc. So I secretly sucked up all the entertainment evil that I could under my mom's radar, and guess what? I still gave my life to Christ and still abide in him to this day (eternal, I am confident).

I never had the Stryper tape, but it was offered to me by a deacon at an early church we attended. Those cassettes were old news by the time I hit the scene in '93. Sounds like something I'd enjoy now.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 3:02 pm

Quote :
I'm about midway through and there is an ad in about their interview with Gene Simmons. For $15, you can get the cassette tape of it. That's gotta be spectacular. These 2 guys interviewing Gene Simmons?

I am on the hunt for this now. I'm sure ole Gene cut them to ribbons during the actual "interview", but I'm also sure that the Brothers edited it in post-production to make him seem as evil/demonic as possible, haha Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
I'm about midway through and there is an ad in about their interview with Gene Simmons. For $15, you can get the cassette tape of it. That's gotta be spectacular. These 2 guys interviewing Gene Simmons?

I am on the hunt for this interview now. I'm sure ole Gene cut them to ribbons during the actual "interview", but I'm also sure that the Brothers edited it to make him seem as evil/demonic as possible, haha Laughing very hard

They talked about it more towards the end of the program. It was from around 1983. The footage they showed looked like Vinnie Vincent-era, with make-up.

Thankfully, my parents never took a hard stance either way in what passed for entertainment back in the day. Sure, they thought Ozzy was a bad influence, but what parent didn't back in the 80's? But nothing was ever banned from the house or anything. The closest thing I can remember my parents getting all fussed about was not letting me watch 'KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park'. But honestly, looking back now, it might have been more about my age (I would have been around 7 or 8 ) than promoting "evil". And my mom thought George Thorogood sang too much about booze.

But the Peters Brothers and their ilk just trying to find "evil in everything" is just too much for me.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2019 2:55 pm

Quote :
Thankfully, my parents never took a hard stance either way in what passed for entertainment back in the day. Sure, they thought Ozzy was a bad influence, but what parent didn't back in the 80's? But nothing was ever banned from the house or anything.

Same here, thankfully. Even at the height of the '80s PMRC anti-rock hysteria, the most my parents ever said to me or my brother about our music choices was, "This is the crap you spend your money on?"  Haha.

My Dad was an Elvis fan growing up and Mom was into the Beatles, and both of those artists had their own battles with the "That's the Devil's Music" brigade back in the day.... so when Tipper started going after Twisted Sister they must have thought, "Oh look, same shit, different decade." Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2019 5:47 pm

Would love to hear it, pm link please!
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2019 10:29 am

I never had this but I went to one of their seminars in my early teens, I even had their book "Why Knock Rock?" looking back on it, they seemed to me to be a bunch of quacks who only wanted to stir doubt and blame Heavy Metal for suicides which I got shown some "nice graphic images" while at this seminar.

Yeah Id educate myself if i could go back to my 13 year old self...

Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 11:07 am

An out of teach youth minister gave me that shitty little book 'Why Knock Rock?', I think even poor Amy Grant was too extreme for these 30 year old virgins
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette   "The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"The Peters Brothers Interview Stryper" Cassette
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2