Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prog-Rock/Metal

Go down 
+39
Gilbert
Runicen
Hand of God 137
powermacho
Lovecraft
Headbanger Man
Tur-Thalion
corplhicks
QuothTheRaven
DevZor
bgsully
MetalRob331
AchrisK
stormspell
James B.
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Ravenscraig
Citanul
Wurthless
thejokeriv
Gryphon-kl
Shawn Of Fire
Sutekh
Orion Crystal Ice
Temple of Blood
Dark Horseman
BearOnUnicycle
ShadowAngel
EmoElmo
Eyesore
chewie
Required Fields
ozzman
exact33
brokentulsa
DallasBlack
Wargod
Fat Freddy
jettafiend
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 2:08 am

Welcome Ozzman!

I have Evergrey's live album, and I like Harmony as well as Random Eyes. Nightmare Records recently released a free DL of some prog stuff that included Anubis Gate that are pretty good. I dig the sound. the band that really caught my attention was Halcyon Way. Fantastic.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 2:12 am

ozzman wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:
..masterplan did one album (Mk 2) without jorn

Interesting that Mike Demio is that singer & he is the singer for Creations End.

The Creation' s End cd was a favorite of mine last year & Mike's voice is stunning! The title track is epic imho.

Ark 2 great cd's. The 1st one has a more striped down sound where the second one has full band & a fuller sound. Tore Ostby on guitar after the demise of Conception. I would check all 4 of conceptions cd's out also.

Great tune, I personally really like the song Still Life.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 2:14 am

Required Fields wrote:
If you are into death metal at all, and want to check out some prog-death, check out Obscura.

Proggy death?? Thats a new one, I love proggy thrash ala' Tourniquet. I will have to check that out. My curiosity has been piqued.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 5:01 am

jettafiend wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
If you are into death metal at all, and want to check out some prog-death, check out Obscura.

Proggy death?? Thats a new one, I love proggy thrash ala' Tourniquet. I will have to check that out. My curiosity has been piqued.

never heard of prog-death before, i wonder if it's do-able Laughing

I prefer Prog-Rock/Metal over Prog-thrash simply because of the diversity
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 6:23 am

EmoElmo wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

Uh...totally.

Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 6:32 am

Eyesore wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

Uh...totally.

My perception tells me diffrent

that ain't prog death
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 6:35 am

Focus is the quintessential prog-death album.
Back to top Go down
ozzman
Metal novice
Metal novice
ozzman

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 3:35 pm

jettafiend wrote:
Welcome Ozzman!

I have Evergrey's live album, and I like Harmony as well as Random Eyes. Nightmare Records recently released a free DL of some prog stuff that included Anubis Gate that are pretty good. I dig the sound. the band that really caught my attention was Halcyon Way. Fantastic.

Thank you!

Evergrey is a band I still have not checked out but always here about. I like what the singer did on Ayreon 01011001.

For about ten years I had a lot of Internet contact with Torben Askholm the original singer in Anubis Gate. He's the guy who told me about Jorn Lande, Russell Allen , Matti Alfonzetti to name a few singers.

So I buy the 1st Anubis Gate cd & was realy impressed, Excellent songs. I would recomend that. I think Torben liked there 2nd cd better because 0f his vocals. I guess he blew his voice out so the band had to move on without him.

I have the new cd by them with the bass player now doing the lead vocals. Have you listened to Lance Kings new solo cd? Anubis Gate for the most part is the band playing on there.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 5:45 pm

ozzman wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
Welcome Ozzman!

Thank you!

Evergrey is a band I still have not checked out but always here about. I like what the singer did on Ayreon 01011001.

For about ten years I had a lot of Internet contact with Torben Askholm the original singer in Anubis Gate. He's the guy who told me about Jorn Lande, Russell Allen , Matti Alfonzetti to name a few singers.

So I buy the 1st Anubis Gate cd & was realy impressed, Excellent songs. I would recomend that. I think Torben liked there 2nd cd better because 0f his vocals. I guess he blew his voice out so the band had to move on without him.

I have the new cd by them with the bass player now doing the lead vocals. Have you listened to Lance Kings new solo cd? Anubis Gate for the most part is the band playing on there.

A Moment in Chiros is absolutely brilliant and a must-buy for any fan of prog-metal.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 6:33 pm

jettafiend wrote:
ozzman wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
Welcome Ozzman!

Thank you!

A Moment in Chiros is absolutely brilliant and a must-buy for any fan of prog-metal.

Yes it is and if you like that but don't listen to Balance Of Power, then you need to:

Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 6:50 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

...Shadow Gallery, Royal Hunt, James LaBrie (solo), Pagan's Mind, Angra, Ayreon, Evergrey, & Symphony X

At least outside of Wrestling we can agree on mist things. Great list.
Great mentions and Shadow Gallery is just awesome, it's a shame they're so unknown. Tyranny and Room V is a masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 7:01 pm

ShadowAngel wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

...Shadow Gallery, Royal Hunt, James LaBrie (solo), Pagan's Mind, Angra, Ayreon, Evergrey, & Symphony X

At least outside of Wrestling we can agree on mist things. Great list.
Great mentions and Shadow Gallery is just awesome, it's a shame they're so unknown. Tyranny and Room V is a masterpiece.

It is a shame. It's also a shame that we lost the late Mike Baker as he was a key ingredient in SG's music (along with Carl Cadden James' vocal harmonies). The last one they did was great but his prescence was sorely missed.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 7:49 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
It is a shame. It's also a shame that we lost the late Mike Baker as he was a key ingredient in SG's music (along with Carl Cadden James' vocal harmonies). The last one they did was great but his prescence was sorely missed.

Yeah, Mike Baker was such a great singer and just perfect for the sound the band had (with all those Pink Floyd and Kansas Influences, i really like it). I really thought they would disband after his death (Only the good die young or so they say)
When they announced a new album i couldn't believe it and actually thought it would end in a disaster, but Digital Ghost was a great album and having some guest vocalists like Ralf Sheepers from Primal Fear was a good idea.

I saw them live in 2010 at their only german concert in Essen, it was a great experience but also very sad at the same time. During Bakers lifetime they never toured and that's quite a shame Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:00 am

I just went through this thread and made a long list of bands I need to check out. Thanks for the recommendations gang!

Good thread.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:57 am

Don't forget Pain Of Salvation!!!!

Also, on the neoprog side of prog metal there is also the lesser known
Cathedral(91-93 US)

Black Jester(92-97 Italy) From their best album.

Stonefield more on the early Rainbow side of things. I guess you could call them Prog 'n Roll.

Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 6:11 am

S.D. wrote:
I just went through this thread and made a long list of bands I need to check out. Thanks for the recommendations gang!

Good thread.

Ditto, my shipping list has tripled and then some.

Thanks for all the feedback, and direction on new tunes. This has been a huge help.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 12:33 am

S.D. wrote:

Good thread.

hehe. now maybe i can spend some of your money. You have spent enough of mine lately...

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 1:24 am

exact33 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Good thread.

hehe. now maybe i can spend some of your money. You have spent enough of mine lately...

Laughing very hard

Yeah, but I'm so damn picky these days I probably won't spend that much. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 9:25 am

S.D. wrote:
exact33 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Good thread.

Laughing very hard

Yeah, but I'm so damn picky these days I probably won't spend that much. Very Happy

you picky?? I would never believe that.

BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 11:23 am

My recent discovery and the best tune Psychotic Waltz ever did:

This is the kind of prog I dig. Sad most of it exists only on kvlt obscure demo tapes.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 5:03 pm

I really like the Cynic and as for BoP?? Holy Crap!!! Those guys are amazing!!!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Can't forget the almighty Zero Hour:

Such a brilliant band!
Back to top Go down
ozzman
Metal novice
Metal novice
ozzman

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 7:18 pm

jettafiend wrote:

Oh yes it is!! The cd gets better as it goes.

Last edited by ozzman on Thu May 17, 2012 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 8:42 pm

[quote="ozzman"][quote="jettafiend"]
ozzman wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

Oh yes it is!! The cd gets bartter as it goes.

Definatly the best thing I've heard him do since BoP-Perfect Balance.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 12:09 pm

If you haven't checked out Zero Hour folks, then you owe it to yourself. And Halcyon way is like a heavier Queensryche at points.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prog-Rock/Metal
Page 2 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next