Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prog-Rock/Metal

Go down 
+39
Gilbert
Runicen
Hand of God 137
powermacho
Lovecraft
Headbanger Man
Tur-Thalion
corplhicks
QuothTheRaven
DevZor
bgsully
MetalRob331
AchrisK
stormspell
James B.
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Ravenscraig
Citanul
Wurthless
thejokeriv
Gryphon-kl
Shawn Of Fire
Sutekh
Orion Crystal Ice
Temple of Blood
Dark Horseman
BearOnUnicycle
ShadowAngel
EmoElmo
Eyesore
chewie
Required Fields
ozzman
exact33
brokentulsa
DallasBlack
Wargod
Fat Freddy
jettafiend
43 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 9:39 pm

I have been spending some time listening to Creations End and Ark. I found both of these bands by following breadcrumbs on Spotify and I bought the albums off of iTunes. Both are fantastic prog-metal, that sound nothing like DT. Problem is, I cannot find any info at all on Ark and very little about Creations End. Creations End website gives a very brief history of the band and lists the members. Apparently, lead singer Mike DiMio used to sing for Riot. Do you guys know anything about these bands?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 10:16 pm

I believe Jorn Lande (Masterplan) was the vocalist for Ark. That's about all I can tell ya. Never even heard of Creations End.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 10:18 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I believe Jorn Lande (Masterplan) was the vocalist for Ark. That's about all I can tell ya. Never even heard of Creations End.

Sweet, thanks. I have never heard of Masterplan so I will check them out. Is the the same Jorn Lande that is behind the Jorn power metal albums?
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 10:22 pm

He is indeed the genius behind Jorn and he also released a S/T Ark album back in '99
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 12:19 pm

So what are new to listening to progmetal? If so there are tons out there and not like DT at all.

Wargod
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 12:34 pm

jettafiend wrote:
He is indeed the genius behind Jorn and he also released a S/T Ark album back in '99

He also has three albums with Symphony X vocalist Russel Allen with music written by current Primal Fear guitarist Magnus Karlsson and is called Allen-Lande. The first one is excellent and the follow ups while not quite of the same caliber, are great as well.

Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 3:54 pm

Wargod wrote:
So what are new to listening to progmetal? If so there are tons out there and not like DT at all.

Wargod

Somewhat new. I never really got in to prog-metal except for DT and Savatage. I Have one Fates Warning album but it's not doing much for me. When I heard the Souljourners debut it really peaked my interest. I have since discovered Neil Morse, Creations End, Ark, and Porcupine Tree. Any suggestions would indeed be helpful.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 3:58 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

He also has three albums with Symphony X vocalist Russel Allen with music written by current Primal Fear guitarist Magnus Karlsson and is called Allen-Lande. The first one is excellent and the follow ups while not quite of the same caliber, are great as well.

sweet! I will check that out. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 5:29 pm

Check out some Innosense, Threshold, Magnitude 9, Redemption, Riverside......

Wargod
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Here are the masterplan albums with Jorn...masterplan did one album (Mk 2) without jorn

Masterplan

Enlighten Me (single) (2002)
Masterplan (2003)
Back For My Life (EP) (2004)
Aeronautics (2005)
Far From the End of the World (EP) (2010)
Time to Be King (2010)

here is some info on Ark...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ark_%28Norwegian_band%29
here is some info on Creations end...
http://www.creationsend.net/index1.html
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 5:32 pm

Some stand out tracks from the debut:

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Wargod wrote:

Wargod

...Shadow Gallery, Royal Hunt, James LaBrie (solo), Pagan's Mind, Angra, Ayreon, Evergrey, & Symphony X
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 6:16 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Wargod wrote:

Wargod

...Shadow Gallery, Royal Hunt, James LaBrie (solo), Pagan's Mind, Angra, Ayreon, Evergrey, & Symphony X

Royal Hunt, Crimson Glory, and Angra are all fantastic. I actually found Angra through their cover of Painkiller on the JP tribute. I will check out the rest, Thanks guys, this is awesome.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 6:34 pm

some great bands already mentioned. I would add:

Anubis Gate
Aspera
Circus Maximus
Dali's Dilemma
Darkwater
Echoes
Fair to Midland
Haken
Hangar
Harmony
Kingfisher Sky
Leprous
Myrath
Pantommind
Pathosray
Serenity
Sieges Even
Souljourners
Suspyre
Vougan

ozzman
Metal novice
Metal novice
ozzman

Number of posts : 29

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 6:47 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
..masterplan did one album (Mk 2) without jorn

Interesting that Mike Demio is that singer & he is the singer for Creations End.

The Creation' s End cd was a favorite of mine last year & Mike's voice is stunning! The title track is epic imho.

Ark 2 great cd's. The 1st one has a more striped down sound where the second one has full band & a fuller sound. Tore Ostby on guitar after the demise of Conception. I would check all 4 of conceptions cd's out also.
Back to top Go down
ozzman
Metal novice
Metal novice
ozzman

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 7:02 pm

exact33 wrote:

Anubis Gate
Aspera
Circus Maximus
Dali's Dilemma
Darkwater
Echoes
Fair to Midland
Haken
Hangar
Harmony
Kingfisher Sky
Leprous
Myrath
Pantommind
Pathosray
Serenity
Sieges Even
Souljourners
Suspyre
Vougan

I agree some great bands mentioned. Symphony X, Pagans Mind, Threshold all high on my list.

exact33 I only recognize a few bands on your list Anubis Gate, Darkwater & Dali's Dilemma . I think they are from where I live San Jose, Ca. But I do not have a cd by them.

I think I will have to check some of theses bands out, Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, cheers
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 7:12 pm

If you are into death metal at all, and want to check out some prog-death, check out Obscura.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 8:48 pm

ozzman wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Anubis Gate
Aspera
Circus Maximus
Dali's Dilemma
Darkwater
Echoes
Fair to Midland
Haken
Hangar
Harmony
Kingfisher Sky
Leprous
Myrath
Pantommind
Pathosray
Serenity
Sieges Even
Souljourners
Suspyre
Vougan

I agree some great bands mentioned. Symphony X, Pagans Mind, Threshold all high on my list.

exact33 I only recognize a few bands on your list Anubis Gate, Darkwater & Dali's Dilemma . I think they are from where I live San Jose, Ca. But I do not have a cd by them.

I think I will have to check some of theses bands out, Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, cheers

anytime. Welcome to the board btw!

chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Wargod wrote:

Wargod

Wargod has a great list there! Defintely check out Seiges Even!!!! Did anyone mention Vanden Plas????

Also, hello ozzman from SJ!!! I grew up in ESJ(went to YB and IHS) and then moved up here to Sac a while back. Welcome aboard.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 9:51 pm

The easiest way to dig into the prog genre is explore the releases the labels have put out. Magna Carta, Inside Out, Sensory/Laser's Edge, etc.

But really, just network.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Required Fields wrote:
If you are into death metal at all, and want to check out some prog-death, check out Obscura.
I wouldn't call them prog.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 10:16 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

I know they aren't pure prog, but they definitely have progressive/technical elements. That's why I mentioned them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
I know they aren't pure prog, but they definitely have progressive/technical elements. That's why I mentioned them.
They definitely play that so-called "technical death metal," but I've always felt intricate playing styles needed more to be considered prog. Cynic's Focus is a good example of that.

But I would agree that Obscura has prog elements.
Back to top Go down
ozzman
Metal novice
Metal novice
ozzman

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 12:42 am

Did anyone mention Vanden Plas????

Also, hello ozzman from SJ!!! I grew up in ESJ(went to YB and IHS) and then moved up here to Sac a while back. Welcome aboard

Thanks.....

Vaden Plas, Excellent band!

I went to Cupertino HS but lived between Lucretia & Mclaughlin Ave. for about 2 years after I moved out. My band use to play across the street at Tully Road stables. You ever see a show there?

Last edited by ozzman on Sun May 13, 2012 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ozzman
Metal novice
Metal novice
ozzman

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 12:49 am

exact33 wrote:
ozzman wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Anubis Gate
Aspera
Circus Maximus
Dali's Dilemma
Darkwater
Echoes
Fair to Midland
Haken
Hangar
Harmony
Kingfisher Sky
Leprous
Myrath
Pantommind
Pathosray
Serenity
Sieges Even
Souljourners
Suspyre
Vougan

anytime. Welcome to the board btw!

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Prog-Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog-Rock/Metal   Prog-Rock/Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prog-Rock/Metal
Page 1 of 17Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next