Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012

Go down 
+32
Orion Crystal Ice
Joe
shamgar75
Nico
kmorg
SideShowDisaSter
Gryphon-kl
Witchfinder
Required Fields
scottmitchell74
Sutekh
iamrockerfun
CRIMSONMASK
Ricky
Wurthless
Hadley
manny
Fat Freddy
jstate
EvyMetal
thejokeriv
DeathCult
tohostudios
Leatherface
exact33
sheets
nevermore
MetalGuy71
James B.
DallasBlack
chewie
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 7:26 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Sure it doesn't teach you anything, but slapstick is still only a fraction of his comedy. Sure he wasn't high brow comedy but he was nowhere near as low brow as you seem to think he was. However, your mind is already made up and there is nothing I could do to change that. At least you like Monty Python Wink .

No, I LOVE Monty Python. I have the entire series on DVD and whenever I'm feeling depressed I just pop in one of those discs and laugh my ass off even though I've seen them all a million times. I find the humor so nuanced that I seem to pick up on something new every time.

At any rate, I wasn't trying to argue; humor is a very personal thing. LIke I said, my dad thinks Benny Hill is hilarious; me, not so much.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 7:35 pm

Ya know, this whole discussion got me thinking about why I like MP but not BH and I think I've hit on the answer. Delivery.

Benny Hill constantly mugs, winks and gives knowing smiles to the camera whereas the Python crew mostly plays everything totally straight no matter how ludicrous the premise of the sketch.

I bet one of my favorite Python sketches "The Ministry Of Silly Walks" would look a lot different if Benny Hill had come up with it.

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 8:02 pm

It's just a completely different style. Python is incredibly "dry" and satirical, Benny is more of a "clown".

Both very talented, but also as different as night and day. I've known many people in my life who like one but not the other.

Personally, I like them both but the only thing they have in common is being British.

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 8:21 pm

S.D. wrote:
It's just a completely different style. Python is incredibly "dry" and satirical, Benny is more of a "clown".

Both very talented, but also as different as night and day. I've known many people in my life who like one but not the other.

Personally, I like them both but the only thing they have in common is being British.

Pretty much sums it up right there.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 8:57 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Yep. No argument with that summation.

Besides, I hate clowns.Razz

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 9:02 pm

British comedy was a staple of growing up for me, and still remains my personal preference to day. i'm a huge Python fan, but never really connected with the innuendo-laden humour of Benny Hill.

Monty Python

Still one of my favourite sketches!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 9:06 pm

Sutekh wrote:
British comedy was a staple of growing up for me, and still remains my personal preference to day. i'm a huge Python fan, but never really connected with the innuendo-laden humour of Benny Hill.

TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 226623

Still one of my favourite sketches!

TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 201269 Same here.

"Poke her with the soft cushions!"

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 9:41 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Yep. No argument with that summation.

Besides, I hate clowns.Razz

I hate clowns too.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 1:41 am

"Starship Troopers" (1997)

Paul "RoboCop" Verhoeven's uber-violent adaptation of Robert Heinlein's classic sci-fi story is pure comic book fun, as Earth declares war on a race of alien bugs and three friends (Casper Van Dien, Neil Patrick Harris, and Denise Richards) join up with the quasi-fascistic Federation army to help combat the threat.

A bizarre combo of action flick and satire of rah-rah WWII-style propaganda films with its tongue planted firmly in its cheek for the entire run time.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 2:09 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Paul "RoboCop" Verhoeven's uber-violent adaptation of Robert Heinlein's classic sci-fi story is pure comic book fun, as Earth declares war on a race of alien bugs and three friends (Casper Van Dien, Neil Patrick Harris, and Denise Richards) join up with the quasi-fascistic Federation army to help combat the threat.

A bizarre combo of action flick and satire of rah-rah WWII-style propaganda films with its tongue planted firmly in its cheek for the entire run time.
you had me at: Denise Richards

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 5:16 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

I love that movie!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 8:33 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Great flick!!!!!!

FYI - The WWII style propaganda stuff was "borrowed" from the wrong side, the nazi propaganda film "Triumph Of The Will" - I had to watch it for a class in college (20th century dictators) and picked "inspiration" fairly quickly the first time I saw the flick.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 8:55 am

thejokeriv wrote:
The WWII style propaganda stuff was "borrowed" from the wrong side, the nazi propaganda film "Triumph Of The Will" - I had to watch it for a class in college (20th century dictators) and picked "inspiration" fairly quickly the first time I saw the flick.

Yeah, supposedly Verhoeven borrowed a lot of bits & pieces from "Triumph of the Will," particularly for the gung-ho "recruitment" commercials shown on the "Freedom Network."

mc666 wrote:
you had me at: Denise Richards

She's a cutie pie in this one too!! Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 11:40 am

The film has an anti-war message so if you are wanting to lampoon war propaganda then Triumph Of The Will is the perfect choice for parody.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 12:09 pm

Starship Troopers is an excellent book that this movie completely butchered. The movie has nothing to do with the book and Verhoeven admitted to not even reading it. Now, as a campy sci-fi movie with the usual Verhoeven "Buckets of Blood" it was awesome. Also, Denise Richards.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 12:14 pm

Undercover Boss - Australia

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 7:42 pm

The Rock vs Mankind

Hard to remember when Rock was a heel but he was here (even though he still got cheered). Mick Foley won the title here despite interference by "The Corporation".

Geez, even around 10 years ago WWE had real storylines.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 7:43 pm

Watching the rest of Raw I taped.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 7:48 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

Going to 3 hours is a big mistake for Raw IMO. That episode last night had so much filler (endless replays and stupid social media references) that there's no way they're going to be able to compete with new network episodes and the NFL come the fall.

EDIT: On the plus side, at least someone finally laid the smackdown on the dancing Brontosaurus.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 8:13 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Going to 3 hours is a big mistake for Raw IMO. That episode last night had so much filler (endless replays and stupid social media references) that there's no way they're going to be able to compete with new network episodes and the NFL come the fall.

EDIT: On the plus side, at least someone finally laid the smackdown on the dancing Brontosaurus.

Totally agree. The worst parts of the previous Wrestlemania was the performances of Flo Rida, Shotgun Kelly, and the way too long Brodus Clay and his mamma's bridge club segment. Really if it wasn't for the likes of Punk and Bryan (and a few others), I'd have no real reason to watch WWE.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 9:24 pm

Captain America - The First Avenger

Ricky
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ricky

Number of posts : 255

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 10:17 pm

Pitch Black
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 11:25 pm

Bourne Identity
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 11:25 pm

The Haunted World Of El Superbeasto
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 12:13 am

"Attack the Block" (2011)

When hungry aliens invade a low-rent London housing complex, a teenage street gang steps up to save the world in a fast paced, funny-as-hell action-sci fi/comedy from the producers of "Shaun of the Dead." Worth a look if you dig B-movie monsters and Brit humor.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012   TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012 - Page 34 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TODAY I WATCHED (TV-series, Movies, Cinema Playlists) 2012
Page 34 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next