Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Greatest Hits

Go down 
+19
mr.electric39
Chairman_Smith
INVADERS
Required Fields
T-Roy
ghost
scottmitchell74
SAHB Healer
Fat Freddy
mc666
spiritoradio
candlemass
ultmetal
krokus
kmorg
iamrockerfun
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 3:34 pm

What do you all think of such compilations? I will only buy them if it is one of my absolute favorite bands (Judas Priest, Queensryche, Dokken) and don't care if I already have the songs on the original cd's. Or if it is a marginal favorite (Whitesnake, Vanhalen, Iron Maiden) and it has some bonus or unreleased tracks. Other than that, I just think it's record company greed.
Back to top Go down

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 3:56 pm

I think they're worthless unless there's something exclusive on them.
Back to top Go down

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 4:04 pm

Compilations suck. Why aren't they doin' a CD with bonus and unreleased tracks?
Back to top Go down

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 4:34 pm

AceFrehley655 wrote:
Compilations suck. Why aren't they doin' a CD with bonus and unreleased tracks?
Well, I'll change my previous comment a bit. Greatest hits albums are worthless to me, someone who likely has all their albums anyway. So without something exclusive, the appeal is pretty much nonexistent. But greatest hits are good for the fairweather fan, that person that used to buy albums for two songs, the singles. Of course, these days they just download those songs instead, but they'd probably be willing to buy a greatest hits CD instead of downloading.

So good for the regular, every day fan. Bad for us retarded collectors.
Back to top Go down

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 4:35 pm

Not retarded colletor! Mega Metal Master Collector 🤘
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 7:30 pm

I don't mind a greatest hits package if it's a band I'm only semi-familiar with. If I like their hits, I tend to investigate the rest of their releases. If it's a band that I have their complete catalog already, I'm hesitant to buy a greatest hits.

What I don't like is bands (or moreso their record companies) putting out new greatest hits comps every 6 months, tacking on a new song or 2, just so they can wring more money from the fans. Seriously, how many Greatest Hits, Best Of's or Anthologys do Maiden, Aerosmith, Motorhead, and KISS need?
Back to top Go down

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 9:04 pm

KISS have like 10 best of... Go to the store buy KISS Gold and you have the one. If you like it buy other KISS realese not compilations.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 9:11 pm

AceFrehley655 wrote:
KISS have like 10 best of... Go to the store buy KISS Gold and you have the one. If you like it buy other KISS realese not compilations.

Great point, in fact it's Kiss that got me thinking of this thread. I am in the process of building my Kiss collection on cd and every couple of days I look through the used bins at my local record store and I see about 10 greatest hits comp's from these guys when all I want is a non-remastered, original copy of Dressed to Kill or Love Gun!!! This goes on each week at the 3 different places I frequent. Sorry, for the rant. I'll have to go crank the Destroyer album up really loud to make myself feel better. Peace. 🤘
Back to top Go down

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2007 9:16 pm

If you can find Dressed To Kill in store...I wanna know where you're livin'. I mean sometime there's some cool albums like Lick It Up (Didn't have the cash to buy it...F*cking smurf poo...) but that's always Creatures Of The Night and KISS Gold and some of the Millenium Volumes...angry
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 3:26 am

i like GH albums only with unrelease tracks or something like that. if no, don't buy it.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 5:07 am

I'm so anal about my collection, I buy the compilations too Sad

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 8:17 am

Of course i buy the compilations. Like that i can take a greatest hits by a band in the car or to the shop. Home i listen to their normal cd´s, not to greatest hits.
Back to top Go down

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 10:18 am

Only buy it if you're a collector of the band.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 11:37 am

the sentinel wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:

Great point, in fact it's Kiss that got me thinking of this thread. I am in the process of building my Kiss collection on cd and every couple of days I look through the used bins at my local record store and I see about 10 greatest hits comp's from these guys when all I want is a non-remastered, original copy of Dressed to Kill or Love Gun!!! This goes on each week at the 3 different places I frequent. Sorry, for the rant. I'll have to go crank the Destroyer album up really loud to make myself feel better. Peace. 🤘

Why do you want the "original" CD releases? For the KISS catalog, the remasters are far superior. The sound is better. The packaging is way better. An album like "Creatures of the Night", it returned the packaging, the track order and the mix back to the original vinyl version.

As for compilations. I don't mind them. I tend to get them for band's that I am anal about having the complete collection. I prefer there to be something unreleased on them. However, I mostly think that compilations are for the casual fan who is only interested in the hits.

ult
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 12:06 pm

the sentinel wrote:
What do you all think of such compilations? I will only buy them if it is one of my absolute favorite bands (Judas Priest, Queensryche, Dokken) and don't care if I already have the songs on the original cd's. Or if it is a marginal favorite (Whitesnake, Vanhalen, Iron Maiden) and it has some bonus or unreleased tracks. Other than that, I just think it's record company greed.

I'm the opposite, if it's my favorite band, I most likely have all of their releases, I'll make my own bloody comp!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 4:43 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Why do you want the "original" CD releases? For the KISS catalog, the remasters are far superior. The sound is better. The packaging is way better. An album like "Creatures of the Night", it returned the packaging, the track order and the mix back to the original vinyl version

Are the remasters really that much better? I ask because I just bought The Elder, Dynasty, and Unmasked for like a $1 each new on Amazon. So I'm assuming that the copies that I ordered are the original cd copies(since they were so cheap), but you never know I guess. Just curious.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 4:49 pm

i stay away from all greatest hits collections. if there is a new track, i usually just download that individual track from the internet.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 6:07 pm

I hate, despise, and abhor useless "Best Of" or "Greatest Hits" compilations and ignore them whenever possible.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 6:08 pm

What I hate is when a band had one killer album and a bunch of crap, and they spilt the killer material between two discs. This happened to me twice recently (Marseille, Tucky Buzzard). Luckily I was able to find the Tucky Buzzard intact elsewhere, but the Marseille is unlistenable without punching buttons or burning my own off the comp mess.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 6:25 pm

I only like occassionaly. Last one I got was Rhapsody's "Tales From The Emerald Sword Saga" about a year and a half ago because I wanted to get into these guys but not buy every last cd. The "Saga" has mostly fast stuff with only a couple of their slower songs so this allowed me to avoid the rest. 16 Rhapsody songs is plenty....I love them but that's plenty!

I can't think of anyone else besides some old cassettes that I have a "Greatest Hits" of....I tend to avoid them as well because they are redundant they are redundant......
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 12:54 am

ultmetal wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:

Why do you want the "original" CD releases? For the KISS catalog, the remasters are far superior. The sound is better. The packaging is way better. An album like "Creatures of the Night", it returned the packaging, the track order and the mix back to the original vinyl version.

As for compilations. I don't mind them. I tend to get them for band's that I am anal about having the complete collection. I prefer there to be something unreleased on them. However, I mostly think that compilations are for the casual fan who is only interested in the hits.

ult

I want the originals because I bought the original cassettes when I was a kid and I feel like I'm cheating myself in some way if it says "remastered" on a sticker somewhere on the cd. I don't get the same feeling as when I was a youngin' and get transported back in time to the halcyon days of my youth. I know it's really corny sounding but music to me, and probably fo most of us here, is very emotional and linked to memories for me. Peace.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 12:56 am

Also, forgot to mention that I'm somewhat ocd and have to have them all look the same. The only bands that I have all originals and remasters are Priest and Queensryche for the bonuses and the Priest cause it looks awesome with the flaming JP symbol and how it spells out the bands name. Peace.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 2:39 am

Usually I don’t buy them, but there are two exceptions:

I buy them of my favorite bands where I want to have all of their releases and I buy them sometimes to get familiar with a band where I haven’t any albums so far and don’t know them.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 9:31 am

I've never understood why a band would want or allow a comp. I mean to
me, it totally underminds the sales of previous and all albums that
have songs on the comp?!?!? Not to mention just for me, I know I would
tend to just listen to the greatest hits and miss out on the entire
albums. The only g.r. cd I've ever bought (shut up Ult) is Bon
Jovie-Cross roads. I loved it and i literally have never listen to
another BJ cd since (11 years). Same with M-Crue. Im just not a fan of
them. But thats just me, I also like popcorn in a glass of milk, so
clearly.....there's some issues.🤘
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 9:33 am

T-Roy wrote:
I've never understood why a band would want or allow a comp.

I would bet that 9 times out of ten the band has nothing to do with'em... it's usually the record label's decision...

Of course the tenth guy (the exception) is probably Gene Simmons... "hey, let's put out yet another BEST OF KISS compilation!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Greatest Hits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greatest Hits
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next