Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Greatest Hits" albums

Go down 
+14
metalinmyveins
thejokeriv
adrian
Joe
Lari
tohostudios
bassman
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
manny
mc666
chewie
Fat Freddy
exact33
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

"Greatest Hits" albums Empty
PostSubject: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 12:59 pm

Have you ever been exposed to one of your favorite bands through a "Greatest Hits" album? For example, my favorite band is Deep Purple and the album that got me into them was a compilation entitled "Deepest Purple". I still love that compilation and play it a lot to this day.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 1:02 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Have you ever been exposed to one of your favorite bands through a "Greatest Hits" album? For example, my favorite band is Deep Purple and the album that got me into them was a compilation entitled "Deepest Purple". I still love that compilation and play it a lot to this day.
'

all the time. If I can get one, Ill use it as an intro to the band. The Upper Crust greatest hits is a classic case for me.

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 1:06 pm

Two of the most important albums in my life were Greatest Hits comps.

"Greatest Hits" albums 51dgSIMRMdL._SL500_AA300_
Even though I own all the original albums, I still play this compilation from time to time, because this particular cycle of songs was so important to my development.

"Greatest Hits" albums 2177wQ3NMtL._SL500_AA300_
The 2-LP vinyl collection, it was like discovering the unholy grail.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 1:07 pm

The first Aerosmith album I ever bought as a teen in the mid 80s was their 1980 "Greatest Hits" compilation. And yes, it did lead to me obsessively collecting every Aerosmith studio album that was available up to that point.

The RAMONES MANIA compilation album also fueled my obsession with the Ramones. I was already semi-familiar with them by the time it was released (1988) due to occasionally seeing them on MTV and from viewing the movie "Rock N Roll High School" numerous times but MANIA was the first album of theirs I bought. It also led to me quickly buying up as many of their albums as I could get my hands on.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 1:12 pm

I usually do it through live albums:

Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
Humble Pie - Rockin' The Fillmore
UFO - Strangers In The Night
Kansas - Two For The Show
MSG - One Night at Budokan
Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes (to hear their 70s stuff)

are some examples.

Actual Greatest Hits albums:

Deep Purple - When We Rock, We Rock, and When We Roll, We Roll is a record I still have and play ever once in a while.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

The RAMONES MANIA compilation album also fueled my obsession with the Ramones.
that's one that got me as well. also without The Best of the Scorpions (1978), i doubt i would have been as big a Scorps fan. especially their earlier (best) works.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 2:01 pm

Alice Cooper's Greatest Hits, I bought it at the age of 13 at a flea market for the song 'School's Out' and ended loving the album and grabbing anything I could find by Alice.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Quote :
all the time. If I can get one, Ill use it as an intro to the band

Same here. The first coupla that come to mind are WASP's First Blood, Last Cuts and that Sabbath comp Detuned mentioned. The Best of Bruce Dickinson too. There's probably lots more that I just can't remember at the moment.

On the flip side, I have a coupla Greatest Hits comps that I bought, listened to and then decided "Yea, this is probably all I'll need." Primus and Ratt come to mind.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 2:57 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

On the flip side, I have a coupla Greatest Hits comps that I bought, listened to and then decided "Yea, this is probably all I'll need." Primus and Ratt come to mind.

Ditto. Stratovarius' THE CHOSEN ONES did it for me with that band.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 3:05 pm

That "Deepest Purple" CD was also my introduction to the band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 3:18 pm

Not so much got me into it but there's a few that greatest hits are all I need like Night Ranger and Great White.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 4:56 pm

Whenever I feel like giving my voice a workout I pop in Journey's Greatest hits.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 5:51 pm

bassman wrote:
Whenever I feel like giving my voice a workout I pop in Journey's Greatest hits.
that's the one my wife wears out anytime she is in a nostalgic mood.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:04 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Not so much got me into it but there's a few that greatest hits are all I need like Night Ranger and Great White.

That's me too. That generally how I use Best Ofs. Artists like Tom Petty and George Thorogood; all I need of them is greatest hits.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:23 pm

bassman wrote:

for toho:

headbanger

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:25 pm

exact33 wrote:
bassman wrote:

for toho:

"Greatest Hits" albums 11840

I will resist the urge to rant this time.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:26 pm

tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
bassman wrote:

for toho:

you know you want to do it "Greatest Hits" albums 69126

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:27 pm

exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
bassman wrote:

for toho:

Oh, I sure do. I had some nice zingers ready for bassman but I decided against it.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:29 pm

tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
bassman wrote:

for toho:

Oh, I sure do. I had some nice zingers ready for bassman but I decided against it.

is this a new, kinder toho???

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:31 pm

exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
bassman wrote:

for toho:

Not really. It's a "less redundant" toho. I think everyone here knows my feelings about Journey so why belabor the point.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:36 pm

tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
bassman wrote:

for toho:

Not really. It's a "less redundant" toho. I think everyone here knows my feelings about Journey so why belabor the point.

ah. Comprehension is filling my head.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:44 pm

BTW, I like that Taz emote.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:48 pm

tohostudios wrote:
BTW, I like that Taz emote.

I like Taz in general but yes, the emote is nice!

Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 7:06 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Ditto. Stratovarius' THE CHOSEN ONES did it for me with that band.
That doesn't really work though as they've made several awesome albums. Visions, Destiny, Infinite...

I think the Best of Diamond Head works pretty well here though. But mostly because their discography is a bit of a mess and some of the albums are hard to get (cheap).
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 7:41 pm

like someone said - the Ratt and Roll is pretty much all I need from them...

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Greatest Hits" albums   "Greatest Hits" albums Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Greatest Hits" albums
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: