Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Billy Squire Question

Go down 
+5
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Witchfinder
speed101
9 posters
AuthorMessage
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

Billy Squire Question Empty
PostSubject: Billy Squire Question   Billy Squire Question Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 9:33 pm

I always hear people say he went downhill after making the rock me tonight video but what would a video have to do with him making good music?Just because he danes around in it?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Billy Squire Question   Billy Squire Question Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 11:19 pm

speed101 wrote:
I always hear people say he went downhill after making the rock me tonight video but what would a video have to do with him making good music?Just because he danes around in it?

I don't think it was his music that went downhill but rather his career unfortunately. He was perceived as being rather un-masculine after that vid and it killed his momentum and he never recovered. Billy had the last laugh though because he actually had one of the best contracts in all of the music biz and is a rich man because of it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Billy Squire Question   Billy Squire Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 12:13 am

Squire released very solid music right until his final album, the acoustic/bluesy Happy Blue.

I loved that version.

Anyway, all his albums are good with a handful of great tracks. It's definitely unfortunate he suffered because of that godawful video. Too bad he listened to the director or marketer or whoever the hell thought it was a smart career move. But like most 80s rockers, his days were numbered anyway.

I wish he'd do a new album.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Billy Squire Question   Billy Squire Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 7:56 am

"Squier" people, not "Squire"...

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Billy Squire Question   Billy Squire Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 8:32 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Beat me to it.

As for the "Rock Me Tonight" video, the sight of him dancing around (badly) in a "Flashdance" style cut off shirt most likely turned off a lot of his so-called "macho" hard rock audience...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Billy Squire Question   Billy Squire Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 9:17 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Beat me to it.

As for the "Rock Me Tonight" video, the sight of him dancing around (badly) in a "Flashdance" style cut off shirt most likely turned off a lot of his so-called "macho" hard rock audience...

That was obviously not his idea...it was the video director/label wanting to "modernize" him and make him video-current...same reason they had Pat Benatar dance in the "Love Is A Battlefield" video...clearly a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Billy Squire Question   Billy Squire Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:06 am

But the video, worked for Pat Benatar where it sunk poor Billy Squier's career, at least began the sinking, if I remember correctly the album 'Signs of Life' still sold a huge number of copies.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Billy Squire Question   Billy Squire Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:19 am

manny wrote:
But the video, worked for Pat Benatar where it sunk poor Billy Squier's career

Well, who would YOU rather watch dancing around... Pat Benatar or Billy? Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Billy Squire Question   Billy Squire Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:23 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:
But the video, worked for Pat Benatar where it sunk poor Billy Squier's career

Well, who would YOU rather watch dancing around... Pat Benatar or Billy? Very Happy

You do have a valid point there, sir.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Billy Squire Question   Billy Squire Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:28 am

Billy made a lot of catchy music in the past. Some of his songs are iconic.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Billy Squire Question   Billy Squire Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:40 am

I think it was just a sign of the times as well. Making videos was still new-ish and 70's artists didn't know what to make of this new format. It wasn't enough to just stand there and play music. You took chances, listened to directors. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. 95% of videos from the early 80's look ridiculous to us now, but they were cool enough back then. Billy's took the hit pretty bad though.

And yes, I know Billy didn't have a hit until the 80's, but he cut his teeth in the music industry in the late 60's and 70's. For you younger kids out there, it seems hard to believe that MTV and music videos made such an impact on a generation of fans, but the music video destroyed just as many music careers as it helped develope.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Billy Squire Question   Billy Squire Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 11:00 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I think it was just a sign of the times as well. Making videos was still new-ish and 70's artists didn't know what to make of this new format. It wasn't enough to just stand there and play music. You took chances, listened to directors. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. 95% of videos from the early 80's look ridiculous to us now, but they were cool enough back then. Billy's took the hit pretty bad though.

And yes, I know Billy didn't have a hit until the 80's, but he cut his teeth in the music industry in the late 60's and 70's. For you younger kids out there, it seems hard to believe that MTV and music videos made such an impact on a generation of fans, but the music video destroyed just as many music careers as it helped develope.

I agree. Michael Jackson's Thriller video made his song even cooler than it would have otherwise been.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Billy Squire Question   Billy Squire Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 6:23 pm

THIS is what we expected and wanted from Billy

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19i8x_billy-squier-everybody-wants-you_music
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Billy Squire Question   Billy Squire Question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 6:32 pm

Cool bit of trivia here. My father was once in a band with Bobby Chouinard, Squiers drummer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Billy Squire Question   Billy Squire Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Billy Squire Question
Page 1 of 1