Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Billy Thorpe

Go down 
+8
HeavyMetalMerchant
tohostudios
stepcousin
SAHB Healer
chewie
MetalGuy71
rattpoison
XYZ
12 posters
AuthorMessage
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

Billy Thorpe Empty
PostSubject: Billy Thorpe   Billy Thorpe Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Billy Thorpe is a guy that I know absolutely nothing about other than he wrote "Children of the Sun." I've tried to find some info about him, but it is very hard to come by. I did find that he was big in Australia, though.

Would anyone recommend his music? I do like "Children of the Sun" (it gets some airplay here in Phoenix).
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Billy Thorpe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Thorpe   Billy Thorpe Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 4:14 am

Billy Thorpe is Australia's "Rock N' Roll King". In the late 60's/early 70's he along with guitarist Lobby Lloyde in their band the Aztecs were the progenitors of the Australian Heavy Rock sound that manifested in bands like AC/DC, Buffalo, Rose Tattoo, The Angels etc. They also paved the way for the Australian Pub Rock circuit which allowed bands like AC/DC, Midnight Oil, Cold Chisel etc to hone their skills, sound and generally toughen up.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Billy Thorpe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Thorpe   Billy Thorpe Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 11:13 am

Quote :
I do like "Children of the Sun" (it gets some airplay here in Phoenix).

That song gets some play on sattelite radio. I kinda liked it, but like you, had never heard of this Thorpe guy.

Thanks for the clips RP.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Billy Thorpe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Thorpe   Billy Thorpe Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 12:47 pm

The song "East Of Edens Gate" is even better!!! It has Earl Slick and Frankie Bannali (sp? Quiet Riot Drummer)on that particular album. He was also in The Zoo with Mick Fleetwood. I don't know about his Australian albums, but these albums are pretty cool:

Children of the Sun (1979)
21st Century Man (1980)
Stimulation (1981)
East Of Eden's Gate (1982)

Last edited by chewie on Tue May 11, 2010 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Billy Thorpe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Thorpe   Billy Thorpe Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 7:07 pm

I've always liked Billy Thorpe. "Earth Calling" is my favorite song by him, love the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Billy Thorpe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Thorpe   Billy Thorpe Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 7:24 pm

I remember "Children Of The Sun" when it first came out, even before radio picked up on it. My brother's friend had the LP. I thought it was pretty cool. By the time radio picked up on it many years later (it definitely took a very long time) and everybody would stop and turn up the radio when it was on, I was like dude, I was listening to this when I was 12 years old.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Billy Thorpe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Thorpe   Billy Thorpe Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 7:58 pm

Billy went on to be in a band called Zoo which featured Mick Fleetwood on drums and Bekka Bramlett on vox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMWEafmWF2A

Metal novice
Metal novice
HeavyMetalMerchant

Number of posts : 23

Billy Thorpe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Thorpe   Billy Thorpe Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 8:11 am

For sure Thorpie was big in Australia he ended up as a regular on a mainstream TV show called Hey Hey its Saturday so it was all a bit caberet in the end. Or maybe its just my metal warped take on it, definatley a very well respected pioneer of the oz pub rock circuit and liked to play loud in the early days god bless him..
Back to top Go down
http://www.heavymetalmerchant.com
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Billy Thorpe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Thorpe   Billy Thorpe Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 3:56 am

XYZ wrote:
Billy Thorpe is a guy that I know absolutely nothing about other than he wrote "Children of the Sun." I've tried to find some info about him, but it is very hard to come by. I did find that he was big in Australia, though.

Would anyone recommend his music? I do like "Children of the Sun" (it gets some airplay here in Phoenix).

Don't know much about to him or his music but I saw him opening for Deep Purple back in 2004. I heard he died few years ago
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Billy Thorpe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Thorpe   Billy Thorpe Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 4:23 am

Last edited by mc666 on Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/mc666
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

Billy Thorpe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Thorpe   Billy Thorpe Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 10:24 pm

I am not very familiar with his catalog, but just seeing his name in this thread reminded me of Children Of The Sun and I have not heard this song in 20 plus years.
Back to top Go down
brontotex
brontotex

Number of posts : 446

Billy Thorpe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Thorpe   Billy Thorpe Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 4:35 pm

Children of the Sun, along with Pink Floyd and Stevie Ray Vaughn are instant channel changers for me on FM radio.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Billy Thorpe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Billy Thorpe   Billy Thorpe Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Billy Thorpe
Page 1 of 1