Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Retro!

Go down 
+23
corplhicks
TheGreatDuck
SpectreFate
Orion Crystal Ice
Boris2008
ZombieHavoc
chewie
Dark Horseman
mc666
Zdan
Andy
INVADERS
Witchfinder
James B.
EvyMetal
Wargod
Wurthless
arachnoplasma
Joe
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
kmorg
Eyesore
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
A girl I used to work with was into these guys. She was big into stuff like the White Stripes, Black Rebel Motorcyle Club, the Strokes and whatnot. Since I didn't care for those bands, I just lumped Mooney Suzuki into that category.

Those clips sound pretty decent though. The one song, 'Alive & Amplified' definatley sounds familiar, like from a commercial or something.
Really enjoying them myself. Definitely more of a "modern" retro sound, if that makes sense, but I dig it.

Listening to Mooney Suzuki's Alive & Amplified, I'm inclined to think there will be more Mooney purchases in the forseeable future. Good stuff.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 5:44 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
A girl I used to work with was into these guys. She was big into stuff like the White Stripes, Black Rebel Motorcyle Club, the Strokes and whatnot. Since I didn't care for those bands, I just lumped Mooney Suzuki into that category.

Those clips sound pretty decent though. The one song, 'Alive & Amplified' definatley sounds familiar, like from a commercial or something.
Really enjoying them myself. Definitely more of a "modern" retro sound, if that makes sense, but I dig it.

Listening to Mooney Suzuki's Alive & Amplified, I'm inclined to think there will be more Mooney purchases in the forseeable future. Good stuff.
If I see any cheapos around here, I'll let you know.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 9:53 am

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

If I see any cheapos around here, I'll let you know.

They are dirt cheap on Amazon too, so chances are, I'll just take that route. But thanks for the look-out.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 11:23 am

Since I don't feel like re-typing anything, just go here for some Stoney/retro goodness...

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t7920-tab-the-band

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Yeah, I dig TAB the Band. They're a bit indie rock at times, but I really dig 'em!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 3:05 pm

Oh, and since this is currently playing, I'll post about it. When I was in Vegas I picked up a bunch of Meteor City albums, all retro stoner rock stuff. Black Nasa, Lowrider, Blind Dog, Dozer, Fu Manchu, Los Natas, and a few others.

All really good CDs. This tune is playing now, and it's wicked!

headbanger
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 1:13 pm

Troubled Horse.

They have a 60's garage-type rock thing going on. Fans of Rival Sons might dig 'em. Their debut album Step Inside just came out on Metal Blade after it was picked up from Rise Above.

If you know anything about the Rise Above label, you kinda know what to expect with these guys.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 1:14 pm

mc666 wrote:
Shawn & Ken should check out Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats...

kickass 70's sounding acid rock stuff!

This album is awesome.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 5:23 am

New Kadavar coming next month!

headbanger
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 10:33 am

Sweet. I like their first one allot. Assuming they don't stray too far from that formula, I'm down with that.

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Eyesore wrote:
New Kadavar coming next month!

headbanger

These guys are killer, they got the authentic retro sound nailed.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 10:43 pm

I've already been going on about these but I'm really looking forward to the debut album next month. humble
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 12:53 am

If you have the time, listen to The Machine. Great, groovy stuff. NOT the Pink Floyd tribute band.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 1:33 am

Really looking forward to that Purson album, too. Sounds like it's gonna be great. I've heard The Machine before, but haven't been impressed.

Anyway, I think I've posted this somewhere on the forum before, maybe the "Female-fronted" thread, but if you dig that fluffy pop stuff from the 60s, check out The Sundowners.

Great stuff.

And has anyone heard Taddy Porter? I downloaded their debut ages ago—which is quite good—but only recently bought it along with their new album. Quite a drastic change between the two...

From the self-titled debut:

From the follow-up, Stay Golden:

I think the title, Stay Golden, is indicative of what they were going for—the golden era of rock and roll—but it's got fans of the debut PISSED! Haha.

I understand, but I dig both of them.
Back to top Go down

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 1:47 am

I like the 60's throwback sound of Stay Golden alot better.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Okay, second attempt to post this as I picked the wrong catagory but this one is perfect.

Loads of Retro bands coming out in the U.K at the moment and I'm liking what I hear from these.

http://labradoodle.bandcamp.com/track/blacksmith

Great name too. Sadly unsigned at the moment Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 10:13 am

Go on, treat yourself! Crappy vid though.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

Go on, treat yourself! Crappy vid though.
I posted about them somewhere on this forum before. Great album, but it took me awhile to really get into it. It was overshadowed by A Bit of Devil, by Zodiac, which I bought the same day. That album is so good I couldn't stop listening to it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 3:18 pm

I'll be keeping an eye on that Golden Void album. I've seen it come up numerous times as an Amazon recommendation.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 8:43 am

I know that these have been mentioned on this thread before, but I really like them.

and this lot are pretty good too!

Back to top Go down

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Kadavar is streaming their new album Abra Kadavar on Classic Rock's website for those interested in hearing the entire album prior to purchasing.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/music_and_videos/kadavar-premiere-second-album/

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 6:21 pm

These are off the beaten path (for this forum, anyway), but here are some less-than-rock/metal bands doing a quasi-retro thing that I really dig...

First Aid Kit (70s folk)

Haim (80s pop)

Wolf People (70s rock)
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Definitely got to check out Wolf People and First Aid Kit, really good.

Had this record for a while now and I love it, takes quite a while to get going but it's really worth it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 10:37 am

Eyesore wrote:
These are off the beaten path (for this forum, anyway), but here are some less-than-rock/metal bands doing a quasi-retro thing that I really dig...

First Aid Kit (70s folk)

Haim (80s pop)

Wolf People (70s rock)

First Aid Kit - dumb name, but has it's charm. Don't know if it's something I would listen to much, but pleasant.
Haim - what an awful period of music to be nostalgic for. And being named after a Corey losses points too. Pass.
Wolf People - this has potential. I feel like I've heard of these guys before. Maybe from Classic Rock mag or something.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 11:17 am

Definitely need to check out more of that Wolf People.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Retro!  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Retro!
Page 6 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next