Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Retro!

Go down 
+23
corplhicks
TheGreatDuck
SpectreFate
Orion Crystal Ice
Boris2008
ZombieHavoc
chewie
Dark Horseman
mc666
Zdan
Andy
INVADERS
Witchfinder
James B.
EvyMetal
Wargod
Wurthless
arachnoplasma
Joe
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
kmorg
Eyesore
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 12:29 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
That Beardfish sounds promising.

Excellent band, much better than most of the retro-Prog outfits who try and copy the "sounds" but don't actually understand the form. The songwriting sets Beardfish apart, very accomplished.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 11:44 am

Some new releases from Kemado Records:

I picked up Call Of The Wild yesterday, and it's really good. Nice 80s new wave punk vibe, or something. The Children album sounds interesting. .
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 12:37 am

Anyone ever heard The Moony Suzuki?

I've seen their CDs now and then in the used shops and always thought they looked promising but never could remember to check them out when I got home (happens all the time). I saw another album by them today, and since I now have a trendy-cool iPhone I snapped a photo of it, and just checked them out.

Diggin' what I hear. Think I'll be spending a bit of cash on these guys soon. Of course, now I'll never see another used album from them again. Haha.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 3:10 pm

A girl I used to work with was into these guys. She was big into stuff like the White Stripes, Black Rebel Motorcyle Club, the Strokes and whatnot. Since I didn't care for those bands, I just lumped Mooney Suzuki into that category.

Those clips sound pretty decent though. The one song, 'Alive & Amplified' definatley sounds familiar, like from a commercial or something.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 2:31 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
A girl I used to work with was into these guys. She was big into stuff like the White Stripes, Black Rebel Motorcyle Club, the Strokes and whatnot. Since I didn't care for those bands, I just lumped Mooney Suzuki into that category.

Those clips sound pretty decent though. The one song, 'Alive & Amplified' definatley sounds familiar, like from a commercial or something.
Really enjoying them myself. Definitely more of a "modern" retro sound, if that makes sense, but I dig it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 2:53 am

Couple new recent discoveries:

Randomly checked them out after buying the Witchcraft 7" b-side from iTunes. They were a recommended band. Really solid stuff, so I bought their self-titled EP and this Fraction EP from iTunes, then snagged their Weekend Nights EP from Amazon. I'd rather have the physical product, but it's all imported stuff and way too expensive.

Either way, I think I'll really dig these guys. And gal.

Random recent buy. The description labeled it as retro hard rock and doom, likened it to bands like Sabbath, Witchcraft and, oddly, Alice In Chains. Not sure I agree with the latter, but the album rips!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 9:21 am

That Graviators is good stuff! Just the way I like it.

Spiders is cool too,plus the chick is pretty hot! Wink
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 9:33 am

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Really enjoying them myself. Definitely more of a "modern" retro sound, if that makes sense, but I dig it.

Their stuff is dirt cheap on Amazon. I might pick up a disc to check them out.

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 12:35 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Randomly checked them out after buying the Witchcraft 7" b-side from iTunes. They were a recommended band. Really solid stuff, so I bought their self-titled EP and this Fraction EP from iTunes, then snagged their Weekend Nights EP from Amazon. I'd rather have the physical product, but it's all imported stuff and way too expensive.

According to an interview I read, all these bands are from the same area and they all know each other very well.

Witchcraft, Dead Man, Graveyard, Troubled Horse, Spiders, Abramis Brama.

I still think there must be something in the water in Sweden, because most of the current groups I like are from there.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 2:18 pm

Yeah, I was checking out the Troubled Horse EP on iTunes last night as well. Very good. Another I dug was Blue Pills. I refrained from buying their albums only because I didn't want to get myself into a spending frenzy. Haha.

But yeah, Sweden has been churning out killer bands for a long time now.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 10:53 pm

S.D. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

According to an interview I read, all these bands are from the same area and they all know each other very well.

Witchcraft, Dead Man, Graveyard, Troubled Horse, Spiders, Abramis Brama.

I still think there must be something in the water in Sweden, because most of the current groups I like are from there.

I think a lot of them were in the band Norrsken...... Now try and find those two(?) eps!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 10:55 pm

From The Wiki:
Quote :
Norrsken, which translates to aurora borealis from Swedish, formed in 1995 originally under the name Winterorb. They put out two demos, Norrsken and Hokus Pokus, as well as a 7" single, "Armageddon." The band is best remembered as guitarist Magnus Pelander's band prior to forming Witchcraft. Vocalist Joakim Nilsson and bassist Rikard Edlund joined Albatros and then formed Graveyard, both bands in the 1970s hard rock genre. Drummer Kristoffer Sjödahl joined Dead Man. Nilsson's brother, Johannes, currently plays bass and sings in stoner rock group Asteroid.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 2:53 am

Posting this here because the thread I created for the band got no replies.

So I picked up The Seance from Stormspell recently. Blind buy. So glad I bought it! What a fantastic band.

God, that's so good. I've been doing a little research on them since getting the CD the other day, and a lot of people are comparing them to Witchcraft and Graveyard. I guess that works, but those are the obvious comparisons. I personally think—if I had to compare them to a more modern band—they sound a lot like Burning Saviours and early Earth Flight.

Either way, great stuff. Looks like this debut got a Euro re-release with two bonus tracks after Stormspell released it, the bonus tracks coming from vinyl-only The Fiddler EP, which featured an additional Pentagram cover. Now they're signed to Metal Blade and, I'm assuming, working on a new album.

The debut, The Seance, can be had for $11.99 at http://stormspell.bigcartel.com. And if I'm reading it correctly, there are only 3 copies of 500 left. GO!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 10:43 am

That Noctum sounds promising. I think I checked them out before on Stormspell's site, but I already had a huge order placed and was trying to cut back.

As for another retro release, check out Kadavar...

They've been popping up quite frequently on my Amazon recommendations, so I finally pulled the trigger. They're doing the whole 70's Sabbath sound. I like the thick, fuzzy bass lines. They're on TeePee Records, who if you know the label, have a decent track record of fuzzed out 70's rock.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 2:57 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
As for another retro release, check out Kadavar...
Nice. Sounds great to me! I saw this the other day and meant to check them out but forgot. Color me interested.

And Noctum is well worth buying, man. I've been spinning that album and Evil Deeds by The Graviators quite frequently lately.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 4:56 am

The drummer, Ian Skelly, for one of my favorite bands, The Coral, is putting out a solo album in December, and it sounds pretty cool.

Very 60s/70s psychedelic kind of stuff. Looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 10:53 am

That's some pretty far-out stuff, man. Not bad. If I'm in the right mood, I could listen to that.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 1:55 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
That's some pretty far-out stuff, man. Not bad. If I'm in the right mood, I could listen to that.
Have you heard The Coral? Absolutely love that band. Similar in style, but a bit more rockin'. Relatively speaking, of course, as they pretty much do modern 50s/60s rock.

And this is the song that first introduced them to me. I had the Kerrang! channel playing on the TV when I lived in England, and from the other room I heard this song:

It's a pretty oddball track for them. I actually first thought it was a new Dead Milkmen song. It has that quirky style and sound, you know. Still dug it, though, and now they're one of my go-to bands. Love them!

Obviously I don't expect many, if any, people on a metal forum to dig them. Haha. But what the hell, they fit the "retro" tag.
Back to top Go down

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:19 pm

Witch Mountain has a new free EP that can be downloaded here...

http://www.scionav.com/collection/1146/Witch-Mountain-EP#!collection/1146/Witch-Mountain-EP

The first track sounds like a cross between Black Sabbath and Curved Air...never thought I'd hear that combination...

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:29 pm

SD, have you checked out Kadavar from a few posts up? You might like them. I just got their album in the mail today. Sabbath-worship to the max, but done well.

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:47 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
SD, have you checked out Kadavar from a few posts up? You might like them. I just got their album in the mail today. Sabbath-worship to the max, but done well.

Not bad. I would say they are closer to sounding like Leaf Hound than Sabbath, but fairly authentic retro sound.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:50 pm

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Not bad. I would say they are closer to sounding like Leaf Hound than Sabbath, but fairly authentic retro sound.

Don't know who Leaf Hound is. Gotta go with what I know. Ya know? Cool

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 12:54 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Don't know who Leaf Hound is. Gotta go with what I know. Ya know? Cool

Totally. There were actually quite a few bands that explored variations of that sound during the first couple years of the 70s, mostly European and long-forgotten...except for people like me who are always most fascinated with the very beginnings of a genre, moreso than where it ended up.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 2:43 pm

S.D. wrote:

http://www.scionav.com/collection/1146/Witch-Mountain-EP#!collection/1146/Witch-Mountain-EP

The first track sounds like a cross between Black Sabbath and Curved Air...never thought I'd hear that combination...
Nice find! Love this group, man. headbanger
Back to top Go down

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Nice find! Love this group, man. headbanger

Love the guitarist. His solo on Bloodhound is great, my kind of solo, noisy and full of attitude instead of clean and perfect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Retro!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Retro!
Page 5 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next