Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Retro!

Go down 
+23
corplhicks
TheGreatDuck
SpectreFate
Orion Crystal Ice
Boris2008
ZombieHavoc
chewie
Dark Horseman
mc666
Zdan
Andy
INVADERS
Witchfinder
James B.
EvyMetal
Wargod
Wurthless
arachnoplasma
Joe
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
kmorg
Eyesore
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Been on a retro kick lately, discovering some new bands. Disappointed to find out Tia Carrera doesn't have Tia Carrere in the band. Haha.

Some cool bands I've discovered:

All good, but The Devil's Blood is outstanding! Singer has huge boobs. Too bad she looks like Pete Willis circa 1979.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 10:44 am

Eyesore wrote:
Been on a retro kick lately, discovering some new bands. Disappointed to find out Tia Carrera doesn't have Tia Carrere in the band. Haha

didn't she have her own band?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 2:47 pm

kmorg wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Been on a retro kick lately, discovering some new bands. Disappointed to find out Tia Carrera doesn't have Tia Carrere in the band. Haha
didn't she have her own band?
That's what I thought. But then I thought I was thinking about Wayne's World. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 9:49 am

I really dig Barn Burner! They remind me a bit of Early Man.
Back to top Go down

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 11:10 am

Tia Carrera is a local Austin band, I've seen them a few times and they are quite good. The guys own their own studio here in town.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
I really dig Barn Burner! They remind me a bit of Early Man.
Speaking of sounding like Early Man:

Picked up this album the other day. It rules. That sound totally reminded me of Early Man, though. At times, anyway. Like Early Man meets Wildhearts.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 3:53 pm

That Barn Burner sounds promising. The other 2, eh, not so much.

I didn't expect that music from Turbonegro. I thought they were a more gimmicky (like Gwar?) kinda band. Don't they wear masks and stuff? I don't know what I expected them to sound like, but that wasn't it. Pretty good, actually.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 4:04 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
That Barn Burner sounds promising. The other 2, eh, not so much.

I didn't expect that music from Turbonegro. I thought they were a more gimmicky (like Gwar?) kinda band. Don't they wear masks and stuff? I don't know what I expected them to sound like, but that wasn't it. Pretty good, actually.
I don't know. They do seem to dabble in makeup and stuff. Early clips on YouTube are pretty raw-sounding, but still not what I expected. I thought they were noisy screamo stuff. I was surprised by Retox. It's really good album.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 2:55 am

New Freedom Hawk album is out! These dude are pretty bad-ass. Their debut, Sunlight, was a $5 gem over at CD Baby (sold out now). They play a kind of heavy 70s rock style, kind of Sabbath-y at times, similar to bands like Spiritual Beggars.

New album is called Holding On, but all three are worth checking out. Here are some samples:

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 7:55 am

I picked up the new Barn Burner a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty good!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 3:35 pm

Joe wrote:
It is. I dig it.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 8:31 am

Yeah I picked up the newest Barn Burner a few weeks ago.Really dig it.
I like Freedon Hawk too.Good stuff
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 11:38 am

Joe wrote:

Which one did you get? I see they have 2 albums out. Is one better than the other or are they both quality releases? I like what I'm hearing.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 7:55 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Joe wrote:

Which one did you get? I see they have 2 albums out. Is one better than the other or are they both quality releases? I like what I'm hearing.

I picked up BANGERS II SCUM OF THE EARTH. I haven't heard the first one to say how good it is. But, I liked this new release enough to eventually check out the first one. The song Eyesore posted is on the first one.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 1:21 am

Picked up an album by Blood Ceremony today. It just looked cool, you know. I rarely do blind buys anymore, but this one just seemed like a win. And it was. The cover and back art looked like doomy retro rock/metal, and it was pretty spot on. Kind of like Black Sabbath meets Jethro Tull meets Burning Saviours, with a female singer.

Anyway, the album is fantastic! These top two clips are from that album. Check 'em out:

That last one is from their second album, released sometime this year. I just ordered it from Amazon.
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 2:06 am

I really like Blood Ceremony's Living with the Ancients. I have the first album too, but haven't really given it a proper listen; sounds good, though. I really dig this '60s / '70s revival that's been going on.

Another band that's kind of similar is Jex Thoth. Female fronted doom / psych. Self-titled album in 2008, plus a few EPs and a split with Pagan Altar. Not too shabby.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 2:22 am

Hell yeah. Really diggin' that. Definitely gonna have to check them out further.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 2:31 am

And though they're not heavy at all, one of my favorite retro bands—and one of my all-time favorite bands—is The Coral. These cats rule!

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 9:35 am

Eyesore wrote:
Picked up an album by Blood Ceremony today. It just looked cool, you know. I rarely do blind buys anymore, but this one just seemed like a win. And it was. The cover and back art looked like doomy retro rock/metal, and it was pretty spot on. Kind of like Black Sabbath meets Jethro Tull meets Burning Saviours, with a female singer.

S.D. hooked me up with these guys and it's pretty decent although it's a little too heavy on the flute for my tastes. It works well within the context of the songs, but I just don't like flute music.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 12:44 pm

That Freedom Hawk sounds pretty cool too. The singer has a little Ozzy-vibe in his voice, sorta like the dude in Sheavy.

Looks like CD Baby has a handful more of their album in stock for the $5 dealy-o.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 2:47 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
That Freedom Hawk sounds pretty cool too. The singer has a little Ozzy-vibe in his voice, sorta like the dude in Sheavy.

Looks like CD Baby has a handful more of their album in stock for the $5 dealy-o.
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/freedomhawk

Indeed. I haven't shopped at CD Baby in a while. Might need to look around a bit. =) But that album is excellent, though. Definitely worth $5!
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Anyway, the album is fantastic! These top two clips are from that album. Check 'em out:

That last one is from their second album, released sometime this year. I just ordered it from Amazon.

Now, if Sabbath had written those songs, they would be considered classics today, too bad I don't really like her vocal style.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 8:44 pm

Eyesore wrote:
New Freedom Hawk album is out! These dude are pretty bad-ass. Their debut, Sunlight, was a $5 gem over at CD Baby (sold out now). They play a kind of heavy 70s rock style, kind of Sabbath-y at times, similar to bands like Spiritual Beggars.

New album is called Holding On, but all three are worth checking out. Here are some samples:

headbanger

I have the new Freedom Hawk and it so heavy and awesome this band is so much better than Ghost ever could be!

Wargod
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 8:57 pm

Wargod wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

headbanger

I have the new Freedom Hawk and it so heavy and awesome this band is so much better than Ghost ever could be!

Wargod
Why compare, though? They're nothing alike.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 11:30 am

Eyesore wrote:
Wargod wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

headbanger

Wargod
Why compare, though? They're nothing alike.

Because I can say that, that's why!

Wargod
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Retro!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Retro!
Page 1 of 14Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next