Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Retro!

Go down 
+23
corplhicks
TheGreatDuck
SpectreFate
Orion Crystal Ice
Boris2008
ZombieHavoc
chewie
Dark Horseman
mc666
Zdan
Andy
INVADERS
Witchfinder
James B.
EvyMetal
Wargod
Wurthless
arachnoplasma
Joe
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
kmorg
Eyesore
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 11:28 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
Definitely need to check out more of that Wolf People.

Looks like they have 3 albums out now. I've definately heard of these guys before, but not sure why they got overlooked. Could be the flute I'm hearing on Amazon. Despite that one crucial flaw, it sounds like it's right up my retro alley.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 4:28 pm

I picked up Fain, the new album the other day (downloaded the rest, shhhh!), and it's great. There is definitely a modern sound involved, call it indie rock or whatever, but it's rooted in the 70s. Great stuff.

First Aid Kit is excellent. Dumb name, yeah, but maybe that's cool in Sweden or wherever they're from. From the looks of it, they were probably really young when they formed, so that might explain it.

Here are the names of the first three bands I was ever a part of: X-Wolf, Stoned Smoke-Alarm Warriors, Pink Cheese Revolution. At 13, these names rocked! Haha.

Haim is the throwaway here, but I kinda dig 'em.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 6:45 am

Been toying with the idea of picking this up at the same time as Blood Ceremony & Age of Taurus on vinyl based purely on word of mouth and this vid has convinced me.

Okay it's not metal (at all) but I love the energy that these guys put into playing for six people and how many bands would go to the trouble of training a dancing wookie to play bass! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 6:30 pm

I now officially LOVE Blues Pills

Kicking every last inch of your ass!!! headbanger

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:16 am

More hairy Swede retro fun!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 11:41 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I now officially LOVE Blues Pills

Kicking every last inch of your ass!!! headbanger

Have you heard of or listened to Radio Moscow? 2 of the members of that band split to form Blues Pills.

Their first 2 albums are great. The third one kinda fell flat for me, but it's not terrible either.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 5:51 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Have you heard of or listened to Radio Moscow? 2 of the members of that band split to form Blues Pills.

Yeah, I knew of them but that's the first I've heard, great stuff! If their stuff is as hard to find as the Blue Pills EP, I have very little chance of getting it though. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 5:55 pm

Monster Truck released their first full-length today. Had no idea until I just came across it at Newbury Comics a little while ago. It's called Furiosity and, four tracks in, it's great so far.
Back to top Go down

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 6:07 pm

new track from Blood Ceremony's "The Eldritch Dark".

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 6:23 pm

BC is a cool band and I'm always wishing they would just get more memorable....
Back to top Go down

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 6:26 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
BC is a cool band and I'm always wishing they would just get more memorable....

Anytime I listen to Living WIth The Ancients I get "Great God Pan" stuck in my head for days afterward.

...and it's stuck in my head now after thinking about it. Razz
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 6:26 pm

S.D. wrote:
new track from Blood Ceremony's "The Eldritch Dark".

Still waiting for the vinyl release date, Rise Above are still trying to deal with orders for Uncle Acid, Purson and Cathedral so have delayed it for a week or so and aren't even taking pre orders yetbut I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this greedy
Back to top Go down

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 6:29 pm

Worth waiting for the vinyl, the album was recorded all-analog so no reason to buy it in any other format.

*edit* - Listening the album on Spotify and it's very good. They've expanded their sound bringing in some more folk-rock influence on a couple tracks in addition to the usual Sabbath/Tull sound. Works great.

Last edited by S.D. on Wed May 29, 2013 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 9:05 am

Eyesore wrote:
Monster Truck released their first full-length today. Had no idea until I just came across it at Newbury Comics a little while ago. It's called Furiosity and, four tracks in, it's great so far.

I'll keep an eye out for that one. I have 2 ep's from them and they rock.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 6:03 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I'll keep an eye out for that one. I have 2 ep's from them and they rock.
Yeah, this one is damn good, too.
Back to top Go down

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 6:21 pm

Purson is very good, nice mixture of psych-rock, prog, folk-rock and some occasional doom elements. The lead singer/guitarist used to be in another group called Ipso Facto.

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 6:25 pm

S.D. wrote:
Purson is very good, nice mixture of psych-rock, prog, folk-rock and some occasional doom elements. The lead singer/guitarist used to be in another group called Ipso Facto.

Holy crap. I love that!
Back to top Go down

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 6:36 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

Holy crap. I love that!

Agreed.

It's so refreshing to hear more organic, vintage sounds coming from all over the globe again. It's like getting a visit from an old friend that you haven't seen in way too long.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 6:53 pm

My absolute love for Purson is well documented. The album is amazing for a debut and I get the feeling that they will get better and better as they are all pretty young.

Ipso Facto were a fine band but I wish that Rosie would redo this cover with Purson as I think that her voice has gotten a lot better and Purson are a better band than IF. This is great though

Glad she's sorted her hair out now! lol!

Now will people please realise that Jess & The Ancient Ones are fantastic too!! Razz

Back to top Go down

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

Now will people please realise that Jess & The Ancient Ones are fantastic too!! Razz

Got that queued up on Spotify next....

I'm still waiting for one of these female-fronted retro acts to dive headfirst into the wonderful weirdness that was Curved Air.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 7:29 pm

Make sure that More Than Living is on your list, seriously!

I've got to be honest, I've gotten into Curved Air because of these female fronted retro acts, I had never listened to them before, but I'm really glad that I have now!

They are playing at an acoustic folk festival near here soon, I'm sorely tempted.
Back to top Go down

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 7:40 pm

I discovered Curved Air in the late 90s when the "Supernatural Fairy Tales" box set came out, I got turned on to quite a few lesser known prog bands from that collection.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 7:27 am

If you turds would pay attention to my suggestions instead of thinking I just listen to everything for the sake of listening to everything, you'd have long ago been a fan of Jess & the Ancient Ones. Wink
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 10:02 pm

I'm really loving this quite a lot!!

In fact, after hearing some more, this has jumped right up to the top of greedy list, this band are brilliant!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 2:29 pm

I know that this won't get much love on here but I'm really falling in love with this song and will be getting the record

If you are ever in the mood for a bit of mellow Finnish folk, you could do a lot worse.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Retro!  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Retro!
Page 7 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next