Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....

Go down 
+8
James B.
Troublezone
manny
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
SpectreFate
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Empty
PostSubject: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 12:48 pm

As the title says......

http://www.mediafire.com/?9piem914fkmqu90

Something I put together called "DEEP PURPLE - Flight of the Hard Lovin' King" All from Deep Purple's In Rock album, all smashed together. To me, this is just as influential on heavy metal as Black Sabbath were. Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 1:13 pm

Do you think it's more influential to metal than Led Zeppelin?
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 1:18 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Yes. Very much so. Led Zeppelin, IMO was more influential on American hard rock than metal.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 1:35 pm

LeMorte d'Arthur wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Yes. Very much so. Led Zeppelin, IMO was more influential on American hard rock than metal.

I remember reading a quote from Judas Priest that their sound was influenced equally by Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. I think Deep Purple were as influential as those two, but not moreso.

Regardless, Deep Purple are great! "In Rock" was one of the earliest heavy metal albums to grace the planet.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 1:48 pm

Quote :
I remember reading a quote from Judas Priest that their sound was influenced equally by Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin.

In the Priest "Behind the Music" episode, Halford sez that as soon as he heard Robert Plant, he "knew what he wanted to do with his life," or words to that effect.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 2:00 pm

I always got the impression that Deep Purple was huge everywhere except the United States, especially early on. Their popularity came along more in the 80's when they got more radio airplay, kinda like the Scorpions.

Is that accurate?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 2:06 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I always got the impression that Deep Purple was huge everywhere except the United States, especially early on. Their popularity came along more in the 80's when they got more radio airplay, kinda like the Scorpions.

Is that accurate?

Dunno how accurate it was but I personally knew nothing about their existence till they reunited and released PERFECT STRANGERS, when I was about 14 or 15, and the release was accompanied by all kinds of orgasmic "The Masters Are Back!" hype in the various rock magazines.

Granted, I wasn't exactly an expert in musical history at age 14 anyway, but you'd think I would've at least heard of 'em before then. I mean, I knew who Led Zeppelin was, I knew who Black Sabbath was, I knew who The Who was, but if you'd mentioned Deep Purple to me before that point I would've been "???"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Quote :
Granted, I wasn't exactly an expert in musical history at age 14 anyway, but you'd think I would've at least heard of 'em before then. I mean, I knew who Led Zeppelin was, I knew who Black Sabbath was, I knew who The Who was, but if you'd mentioned Deep Purple to me before that point I would've been "???"

Same deal with me. When I hit high school in '85 and everyone was throwing names around, I don't recall Deep Purple being mentioned much, if at all. That was my experience anyway.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Deep Purple were huge in the States and everywhere else in the world from 1971 to 1976, the height being the Machine Head and Made In Japan which both sold millions in the States.
As matter a fact touring wise the only band that rivialed them in popularity was Led Zeppelin during this era.

In 1980's they started out being large in the States but as the years have gone by, they have been able to maintain their popularity through out most of the world with the exception of the States.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 2:27 pm

manny wrote:
Deep Purple were huge in the States and everywhere else in the world from 1971 to 1976, the height being the Machine Head and Made In Japan which both sold millions in the States.
As matter a fact touring wise the only band that rivialed them in popularity was Led Zeppelin during this era.

In 1980's they started out being large in the States but as the years have gone by, they have been able to maintain their popularity through out most of the world with the exception of the States.

What he said.

Machine Head was massively popular in the States and inspired many, many heavy metal bands.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 3:26 pm

Quote :
In the Priest "Behind the Music" episode, Halford sez that as soon as he heard Robert Plant, he "knew what he wanted to do with his life," or words to that effect.

You would have thought that Ian Gillan would be the main influence on Halford...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 3:28 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

You would have thought that Ian Gillan would be the main influence on Halford...

I agree, I don't think Halford sounds like either of those men, but I hear more Gillan then Plant as an influence
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 3:30 pm

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

I agree, I don't think Halford sounds like either of those men, but I hear more Gillan then Plant as an influence

Purple's Child in Time sounds like something that Halford would do back in the early days.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12615

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 3:33 pm

I heard "smoke on the water" coming from garages in the mid 70's quite alot. I like Mark III the best, but can't deny the influence Purple had on the aspiring musicians of my neighborhood.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Deep Purple is one of my favorite bands and I am surprised that FFF and MG had not heard much of their music growing up, the reunion was a huge deal as FF mentioned, remember seeing that tour as a 15 year old, and being excited I was getting to see them live
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 3:48 pm

manny wrote:
Deep Purple is one of my favorite bands and I am surprised that FFF and MG had not heard much of their music growing up, the reunion was a huge deal as FF mentioned, remember seeing that tour as a 15 year old, and being excited I was getting to see them live

My first memories of Deep Purple was the 45 of 'Hush' in my dad's record collection and a next door neighbor, slightly older than me, learning the guitar and playing the opening riff of 'Smoke on the Water' over and over. Other than that, it wasn't until much, much later that I learned who DP were. They just weren't popular in my little circle of friends in high school.

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 3:56 pm

LeMorte d'Arthur wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

That's actually how I always looked at it as well. Zep inspired the US hard rock scene (Aerosmith, Heart, etc), Purple and Sabbath both laid down the gauntlet for metal in 1970.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 4:01 pm

IMO Deep Purple at least the Mark II line up was just as influential as Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbat, I think what prevented Deep Purple from being looked at the same light as those bands, right at the height of their popularity, Ian Gillan quits, David Coverdale was a great replacement but Ian Gillan was and is considered the vocalist for Deep Purple.

Also Deep Purple did not bother with the mystism and image that Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple did not have much of an image, and even in the 80's these guys let the music do the talking, no lasers, no fogs, no cryptic lyrics, no fancy MTV style videos ( their videos came off as looking cheap actually) no references to Satan or the occult, these guys just played, and played louder then hell according to the Guiness Book of World Records.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12615

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 5:35 pm

Deep Purple headlined the very first concert that I ever attended. The California Jam in 1974

Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRV6igh3ZwKl6lTSrzRcKaeW-hNXQFToy5gjJGvti2f4tnry7-HwA

I had "Machine Head" at the time, but I was more into Zeppelin and Sabbath.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 6:11 pm

I remembered this episode from the first year of "That Metal Show" w/Yngwie as guest. The throw down consisted of who was the more influential band between that of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. Now I know we're talking about Zeppelin and Purple in this discussion, but I agree with Eddie (which is weird) and others on here who see Led Zeppelin as more influential on the hard rock front. Deep Purple on the other hand seem to have more of an influence on the metal community. When I read "Hammer of the Gods", Davis (the author) touched upon the cold response Zeppelin got initially from the English fan base in particular, whereas in America they were revered from the get go. Deep Purple seem to be adored in the Scandinavian countries (Sweden where Yngwie is from) and then you have of course Lars from Denmark whose first experience in the hard rock/heavy metal genre was that of Deep Purple. They were his favorite band, and then Rainbow when Ritchie left purple. I think Yngwie's thoughts on these three bands was interesting...

When I was growing up, it's not that Deep Purple weren't popular, but I always felt that Zeppelin garnered the bigger audience in places where I grew up (Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky). Granted, I didn't grow up in Purple or the Zeps hey day, yet this is what I experienced. I do remember the buzz when Purple reunited back in 1984.

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Really I just wanted people to listen to the.......forget it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 8:15 pm

LOL. It's next up on my listen-to-list.

Nobody listened to my I Hear Black remaster in the Overkill thread either.

lol!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 8:36 pm

detuned wrote:
LOL. It's next up on my listen-to-list.

Nobody listened to my I Hear Black remaster in the Overkill thread either.

lol!

I downloaded it today, and I'm looking forward to listening to it. I only listened to a snippet of it so far. I just listened to "I Hear Black" three days ago in anticipation for Freddy's review. I will give you some feedback soon on the remaster.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 12:57 am

From where I see it Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple were all equally influential to music in many ways. I have always loved to love these bands and their songs, though personally I consider Ian Gillan as the greatest vocalist of all times.

And LeMorte d'Arthur, that is a nice one that you posted.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 3:09 am

MoonChild wrote:
From where I see it Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple were all equally influential to music in many ways. I have always loved to love these bands and their songs, though personally I consider Ian Gillan as the greatest vocalist of all times.

And LeMorte d'Arthur, that is a nice one that you posted.

I agree with that.

They all contributed to developing the metal we know and love today
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....   Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Twenty minutes that changed the face of rock music....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next