Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?

Go down 
+9
Hamer12
ultmetal
Tall Tyrion
the sentinel
MetalGuy71
mc666
Smindas
Muloc7253
MetalRob331
13 posters
AuthorMessage

Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Empty
PostSubject: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 9:40 am

It seems more and more young people are liking the music we all grew up with (that's good, imo). A couple of years ago, it seemed like young people were mostly into rap (that's bad, imo).

What is the reason for this? Could it be Guitar Hero?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 11:25 am

Yes it's Guitar Hero. And it pisses me of when I hear someone saying : '' You know that band from Guitar Hero?''...THEY WERE THERE WAAAAAAAY BEFORE GUITAR HERO YOU F*CKING DUMBSH*T....Sorry...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 11:41 am

I agree GH has a lot to do with it. My father was a huge influence on the music i listened to when i was growing up. Bands like Black Sabbath, Krokus, Maiden, and Priest. I strayed away from them when i was a teenager and went a different way but when i came back to them, they were that much better.

I have heard lots of teenagers say thats the song from Guitar Hero "I like that song". So i think GH has a lot to do with it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 12:47 pm

I was in Newbury Comics yesterday and the girl at the counter had a Cindereall Night Songs shirt on. I said, "Sweet shirt. You like them?" She says, "Oh, nah. I just like the shirt." So some things haven't changed. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 12:52 pm

Yes. My brother is coming with me to see Dragonforce and also has started listening to Metallica. He never used to like that kind of music before that game.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 1:36 pm

Yes and no. Definitely seen more appreciation of the bands on Guitar Hero, which is good. But my friends still get annoyed when I choose 'Hangar 18' on Guitar Hero - "it's just messy noise" my arse.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 4:45 pm

everything comes & goes in cycles in pop culture

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 4:50 pm

I see my nephews playing GH and they seem to be really digging the music, so that's a good thing. The problem, the way I see it anyhow, is that while they do like the music, they end up downloading those tunes for free instead of buying the albums and supporting the artists. There is a whole generation being raised to think it's ok to steal music. It's a double-edged sword I guess. I don't expect them to run out and purchase the entire Aerosmith discography, but picking up a greatest hits disc or 2 might be a nice start.

By the way, don't let the above comments turn this whole thread into a downloading vs. buying music argument. We've already been down that path too many times 'round here. Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? 692390:
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 5:44 pm

I agree but thats what it has come to nowadays a person hears one good song they like and they seem to dl it. GH was a great idea, but i still think they couldve picked better tunes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 6:26 pm

Muloc7253 wrote:
Yes. My brother is coming with me to see Dragonforce and also has started listening to Metallica. He never used to like that kind of music before that game.

Same here. My brother had no interest in metal at all until he heard stuff like Raining Blood, One, Hangar 18, etc on that game.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 2:10 am

Quote :
everything comes & goes in cycles in pop culture

True, but that has nothing to do with my question. There are reasons, and this seems to be one. I like the youngins listening to our music. It makes me feel younger.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 4:07 am

it has everything to do with your question. video games & music are both apart of pop culture. therefore they are connected. pop culture still goes in cycles. the reasons can be anything...nostalgia, enhancements, etc. what makes you feel younger actually has nothing to do with anything.

the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 5:13 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I see my nephews playing GH and they seem to be really digging the music, so that's a good thing. The problem, the way I see it anyhow, is that while they do like the music, they end up downloading those tunes for free instead of buying the albums and supporting the artists. There is a whole generation being raised to think it's ok to steal music. It's a double-edged sword I guess. I don't expect them to run out and purchase the entire Aerosmith discography, but picking up a greatest hits disc or 2 might be a nice start.

By the way, don't let the above comments turn this whole thread into a downloading vs. buying music argument. We've already been down that path too many times 'round here. Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? 692390:

We've had discussions on illegal downloading here? On this board? Are you sure? Wink Wink Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 10:50 am

the sentinel wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

We've had discussions on illegal downloading here? On this board? Are you sure? Wink Wink Very Happy

Yea, if memory serves me correctly, we were all for downloading. Seems to be the way to go. Paying is for suckers. Wink, wink.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 11:15 am

I certainly was surprised when my daughter asked me who did "Carry On Wayward Son".

I think it's pretty cool myself. Never hurts to expose kids to good music. They might even become fans.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 11:28 am

Quote :
it has everything to do with your question.

yeah, but it wasn't really an answer. No biggy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 8:48 am

I played Rock Band over my break this weekend and was impressed by the Coheed and Cambria song on it. Perhaps these video games influence more than just the kids.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 9:17 am

Guitar Hero caused my son to look into and become a fan of ALICE COOPER, ANTHRAX and THE SWORD.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 9:20 am

Eyesore wrote:
I was in Newbury Comics yesterday and the girl at the counter had a Cindereall Night Songs shirt on. I said, "Sweet shirt. You like them?" She says, "Oh, nah. I just like the shirt." So some things haven't changed. Laughing

In a similar experience, I had a niece in town and she was wearing a Ramones shirt. I asked her if she liked the Ramones and she said, "I don't know, I've never heard them. I just like the shirt". How odd. surprised

Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 10:11 am

I certainly hope so. I just wish the kids would spend more time learning to play a REAL instrument instead of fake ones, but at least it's a start.
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 10:15 am

I think that some of the stuff that Guitar Hero and Rock Band have is offering the younger audience a wider selection to get in to.

I work in a School Distrcit and some of the students, actually a bunch of the students who wear stuff like AC/DC, or Maiden and whatnot are actually into those bands, which suprised me. However they are also into bands like Dimmu Borgir and bands I dont get.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 11:14 am

spectrefate wrote:
I played Rock Band over my break this weekend and was impressed by the Coheed and Cambria song on it. Perhaps these video games influence more than just the kids.

Welcome Home is a killer song. I love Rock Band as the dl content has some killer songs..
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 12:59 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I have to say that I have mixed feelings regarding the downloading of music. Obviously people were raising a huge stink about it when Metallica took on Napster, which I had no problem with.

I think that Sean Fanning needed to be put in his place, and be made to look like the punk he is. Most artists/bands agreed with Lars/Metallica, and the fight they were carrying on, but they weren't willing to go to Capitol Hill, and address the media. Instead those artists let Metallica take the brunt of things.

Of course you had those who stated, I will never buy anything Metallica again, and I will stop listening to their music. Most of those people weren't going to buy anything from anybody, if they had it their way, so that wasn't any real loss. Most of those people were pretty cavalier fans also. One who downloads a song here or there isn't a fan if you ask me.

Now I haven't downloaded ever anything for free, but I have gone to the library and ripped songs to my computer, as well as borrowed C.D's from friends. Those obviously are areas of infringement, so I wonder why they even allow libraries to carry C.D's? I don't think there is any loophole there, and I always see people perusing through the C.D's. What do they think most people are going to do with those C.D's???

Is it stealing also from the artist/band when you purchase a C.D that is a used copy? Where does one draw the line? Artists/bands have been getting ripped off in tha area for a while. I always go the way of used C.D's if I can find a good deal on something.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 9:13 am

It seems that popular culture is swinging back into making the 80s 'trendy' again. You know how the decade before this one is always 'the decade that fashion forgot', and then give it another decade and suddenly it's really cool? So now you see people wearing Ramones or Guns n Roses shirts becuase they look 'cool', not because they like the band. I think that's one aspect, but I think a number of the kids are sick of the rap and rnb 'music' which has been flogging bland and soulless noise as music for the last eight to ten years,and maybe are looking for something with more instrumentation!

The downloading thing is a good point, though -I had my work cut out explaining to a kid recently that Cherry Pie was by a band called Warrant (who? he asked), not by Poison (but it said Poison on Guitar Hero!), and he'd downloaded it. Ah well, maybe one day they'll actually buy a CD and discover that us older folk actually know something about music Laughing
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 6:39 pm

i liked metal before guitar hero came out. still found some good songs on it though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?   Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does Guitar hero make kids like rock music?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: