Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Phil Collins Retiring

Go down 
+9
Getizzyback
Fat Freddy
shamgar75
jstate
Troublezone
exact33
tohostudios
manny
chewie
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Phil Collins Retiring Empty
PostSubject: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 12:12 pm

I just heard that he is retiring due to health reasons. I know it's selfish, but I was hoping that Genesis would do a small tour with Peter and Steve(maybe a Lamb tour) or with Steve(that way they can play up to Wind & Wuthering).

I think he is very underrated as a drummer. I know I underrated him until I started playing drums and listening to him in the fusion band Brand X and then going back and actually "listening" to what he did in Genesis: Behind The Lines, Squonk, Dance On A Volcano, Los Endos even Turn It On Again and everything off of Seconds Out.

One of my influences and not just because I'm a lefty.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 12:16 pm

I think he is a great drummer, singer, and songwriting, he's had a hell of a career and as a fan I am selfish because I wish he would have continued but he has given us a lifetime of music.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 12:17 pm

Whew. One down, two more to go. Razz

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 12:23 pm

I like his days in Genesis best though some of his solo stuff is pretty good. He did delve into syrupy stuff that had me scratching my head.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 12:58 pm

manny wrote:
I think he is a great drummer, singer, and songwriting, he's had a hell of a career and as a fan I am selfish because I wish he would have continued but he has given us a lifetime of music.

I agree. I really enjoyed his music. It is a big loss!

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 7:24 pm

It's always been hit and miss. Some of his stuff (Genesis/early solo) is really good and timeless. But other stuff is disney soundtrack horrid.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 2:26 pm

I've always liked most of Phil Collins work through to the early nineties. I got sick of the 80's hit stuff pretty quick at the time. But I have to say re-visitng some of it recently I was shocked how well I liked it listening with fresh ears. Holds up real well.

I always remember in the early MTV days where Genesis would get a lot of airplay and being blown away by a drummer who sang. In my young eyes that just didn't seem like it should work - but it did. I also kinda like that he was a "rock star" who looked like a regular dude. Made it seem like he was always about the music rather than an image.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 9:18 pm

I really enjoyed the horns as part of his music. Good stuff!

shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Sad day. Love Phil Collins' work.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:17 pm

Meh. He's had a good run. Can't fault his reasoning for wanting to stay home and enjoy life, either. he sez he wants to spend time with his children and besides, he looked at the modern music scene and felt that he "didn't belong" anymore.

Phil's earned a happy retirement.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 8:19 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Meh. He's had a good run. Can't fault his reasoning for wanting to stay home and enjoy life, either. he sez he wants to spend time with his children and besides, he looked at the modern music scene and felt that he "didn't belong" anymore.

very true. Its time to enjoy the moment and family.

Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 3:06 pm

I wasn't aware he was doing anything recently. I remember the Genesis reunion a few years back, but other than that, I thought he was pretty much retired already. I just don't understand why a guy that can do anything when ever he wants to do it has to retire. He's not punching a time clock for gosh sakes!
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 3:06 am

150 millions albums he's sold combined with everything......not too shabby, I'd retire too
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 10:55 am

Getizzyback wrote:
I wasn't aware he was doing anything recently. I remember the Genesis reunion a few years back, but other than that, I thought he was pretty much retired already. I just don't understand why a guy that can do anything when ever he wants to do it has to retire. He's not punching a time clock for gosh sakes!

I think he's had (or has) some nerve damage in his hands. He can't drum anymore like he used to. Can't say that I'll miss him, but if the dude wants to retire and enjoy life, I can't fault him.

He'll stay outta the spotlight for a year or 2 and get bored. He'll be back in some capacity. Noone stays retired anymore. So what if he can't play drums anymore. He can still write bad Disney soundtracks.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 10:56 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

I have to agree, but I also think MG is right, give him a couple of years and I am sure he will want to play music again
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:46 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

He'll stay outta the spotlight for a year or 2 and get bored. He'll be back in some capacity. Noone stays retired anymore. So what if he can't play drums anymore. He can still write bad Disney soundtracks.

so he will turn into Elton john!!

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:54 pm

exact33 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

We laugh, but Disney has deep pockets. Hair weaves and rhinestone glasses aren't cheap. Cool

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 1:00 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
exact33 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

We laugh, but Disney has deep pockets. Hair weaves and rhinestone glasses aren't cheap. Cool

they are at an Elvis convention Laughing

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 3:22 pm

He's The King, he knows.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 2:44 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Getizzyback wrote:

I think he's had (or has) some nerve damage in his hands. He can't drum anymore like he used to. Can't say that I'll miss him, but if the dude wants to retire and enjoy life, I can't fault him.

I was just saying, why use the word "retire"? If you don't wanna work anymore, then just don't work anymore. Some of these guys take 5-10 years off, then come back for a little while and then go back to the 5-10 years off again. A person who does what he wants, when he wants is already retired in my book!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 9:57 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Getizzyback wrote:

Ok, so it was a little more than the year or 2 I predicted, but Phil has ended his "retirement"...

Quote :
Only a week after clarifying his coming-out-of-retirement scenario by saying that he wasn’t planning to go on tour, Phil Collins has announced a concert. This will be his first billed show since the conclusion of his tour in support of 2010’s Going Back.

Stereogum reports that, on March 11, he will take part in the Dreaming on the Beach concert at the Fillmore Miami Beach at Jackie Gleason Theater. The event is a benefit for the Little Dreams Foundation, which he founded in 2000 with his then-wife, Orianne, with whom he has reconciled. Collins will play an unplugged concert. Tickets are currently on sale at Live Nation.

Collins was scheduled to play a benefit for the foundation in December 2014, but pulled out at the last minute after realizing at soundcheck that his vocals were not up to his standards. At the time, the Miami Herald said that the vocal problems were the result of “some sort of neurological affliction that he said strikes every now and then.” Seven months prior, he sang a couple of his songs at the spring recital of his kids’ middle school.

Although he officially came out of retirement a little more than two years ago, Collins has yet to produce a note of new music. Last week, he said that his new home studio was not yet set up, but once it was ready he will “turn it on and sit down at a piano and see what happens […] I mean, I haven’t written in such a long time that I need to get back into the groove of it, the rhythm of it. And I’ve got lots of ideas. I’ve got lots of bits that I haven’t developed that are just sitting there, and I’ve even got some lyrics that need music, so I’ve got things to start on.”

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 6:35 pm

At first when I saw the title of this thread I was like

Very Happy Very Happy birthday crazy happy cool santa Phil Collins Retiring 56834 cheers queen afro dancingthing drunk :cheese: Cookie! drunk dancingthing cheers sunny afro Phil Collins Retiring 56834 cheers santa cool crazy happy birthday happy Cool Very Happy Very Happy

But now I've read through I'm like.

Sad Crying or Very sad affraid Rolling Eyes Mad angry Phil Collins Retiring 19976 sick Phil Collins Retiring 288219 lame sign Evil or Very Mad don\'t know Suspect No pale sigh Phil Collins Retiring 430996 growl Phil Collins Retiring 82702 Phil Collins Retiring 352445 Phil Collins Retiring 69126 Evil Seed Phil Collins Retiring 69126 Phil Collins Retiring 352445 Phil Collins Retiring 430996 sigh Suspect No don\'t know Evil or Very Mad lame sign Phil Collins Retiring 288219 angry sick angry Phil Collins Retiring 19976 angry Shocked Sad Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 7:06 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy birthday crazy happy cool santa Phil Collins Retiring 56834 cheers queen afro dancingthing drunk :cheese: Cookie! drunk dancingthing cheers sunny afro Phil Collins Retiring 56834 cheers santa cool crazy happy birthday happy Cool Very Happy Very Happy

Sad Crying or Very sad affraid Rolling Eyes Mad angry Phil Collins Retiring 19976 sick Phil Collins Retiring 288219 lame sign Evil or Very Mad don\'t know Suspect No pale sigh Phil Collins Retiring 430996 growl Phil Collins Retiring 82702 Phil Collins Retiring 352445 Phil Collins Retiring 69126 Evil Seed Phil Collins Retiring 69126 Phil Collins Retiring 352445 Phil Collins Retiring 430996 sigh Suspect No don\'t know Evil or Very Mad lame sign Phil Collins Retiring 288219 angry sick angry Phil Collins Retiring 19976 angry Shocked Sad Sad
Laughing
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

Yeah, no kidding.  Phil is in the top 5 of the Toho Hated Artists pantheon.  He might even be second now that I think about it.  Right behind Dave Matthews.

EDIT:  Let's see:

1. Dave Matthews
2. Phil Collins
3. Steve Perry
4. Coldplay
5. Depeche Mode

...yeah that looks about right for now.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 9:23 pm

I have never seen that many emoticons used in one post. Ever. Was that all of them?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phil Collins Retiring   Phil Collins Retiring Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Phil Collins Retiring
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next