Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins?

Go down 
+5
journeyman
the sentinel
MusicTilDeath
DallasBlack
XYZ
9 posters
AuthorMessage
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins? Empty
PostSubject: How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins?   How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 5:37 pm

Having given Genesis quite a few listens in the past couple of weeks, I've come to realize that Phil is a great drummer. His ability is always overshadowed by his role as a singer in the band's latter days, imo. What are your feelings about his drumming?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins?   How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 8:11 pm

I believe anyone who can sing while playing the drums is good. I hear from drummers in interviews all the time talking about how hard that is.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MusicTilDeath
Metal novice
Metal novice
MusicTilDeath

Number of posts : 36

PostSubject: Re: How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins?   How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 8:19 pm

yeah, hes great. the drums in In The Air Tonight is so intense. I always air drum to that first drum part in the middle of the song.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins?   How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 8:43 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I believe anyone who can sing while playing the drums is good. I hear from drummers in interviews all the time talking about how hard that is.

Good point. I have always thought of that whenever I see a Genesis video or concert footage of Phil doing double duty. Peace.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins?   How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 11:15 pm

Good enough to play for Band Aid.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins?   How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 8:22 am

Excellent drummer who can go from progressive rock drumming of their earlier material during the Peter Gabriel years to the pop simple drumming approach of 'Invisible Touch'. Also played in the band Brand X which is fusion jazz type drumming.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins?   How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 9:25 am

Great drummer. Take a listen to Peter Gabriel's third solo album with Phil on drums. Absolutely no cymbals used, yet you would never notice unless someone pointed it out. Fantastic drumming.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins?   How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 12:52 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

Me too. I'm not familair enough to comment on Phil's ability, but anyone that can drum and sing at the same time is ok with me. Karen Carpenter rocks my world. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins?   How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 12:54 pm

Quote :
Karen Carpenter rocks my world.

Sad to say her world rocking days have been over for quite awhile. Sad
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins?   How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 1:08 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Quote :
Karen Carpenter rocks my world.

Sad to say her world rocking days have been over for quite awhile. Sad

For you, maybe. Just wait till I get my "No Life 'Til Karen" website up & running.

PostSubject: Re: How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins?   How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins?   How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 7:23 pm

I too believe that anyone who can sing and drum at the same time is extremely talented.

Unfortunately, Phil "The Ever-growing Forehead" Collins can't sing a lick. Unless you count the ability to make cats and dogs in a one block radius howl, singing.

This guy's "voice" makes Axl Rose sound like Pavarotti.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Collins is to vocals as Howard Cosell is to sports commentary.

Fingernails on slate!!!!

PostSubject: Re: How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins?   How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Good of a Drummer is Phil Collins?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: