Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

why do people hate Phil Collins?

Go down 
+15
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
manny
candlemass
stevegarveyfan
metalken
akeldama
tohostudios
GrandNational
mc666
Schbopo
ultmetal
Stender
fingers
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

why do people hate Phil Collins? Empty
PostSubject: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 6:15 pm

first of all excuse me if I am in the wrong forum. There was a recent poll on the most hated music celebrities and Phil was ranked in the top 5 most hated people in music along with Axl Rose and Fred Durst (no bloody wonder he is a dingbat!!). I agree that his solo stuff is the sort of music you give to a conventional Northern English dad as a present on father's day 'ayyop me son on father's day gave me the latest cd by Phil Collins what a good strapping young lad" and also its sort of the music a kid would listen to if he or she was on ritalin as seen portrayed in that South Park episode also he is a fantastic drummer and has written some good songs with his solo band (in the air tonight) and Genesis (Jesus he Knows me, Land of Confusion and afew others) even though their 80s stuff is not as good as their 70s stuff. But the question is why do people hate him?

Last edited by fingers on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 6:24 pm

I didnt even know people hate him that much...I like his material quite a bit, ecspecially the Genesis stuff. Didnt he do the soundtrack for that horrible animated Tarzan movie?...that film sucked hard, it wasnt even close to the books...Edgar Rice Burrough's would be pissed...the music was great though.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 6:47 pm

I don't know. I like Phil Collins. I think he's a bit cheesy at times, but there are many metal bands that are cheesy at times as well. The first Collins solo album is fantastic. Great CD for late evenings with the wife. Very Happy

Not as big fan of the Genesis stuff after Abacab, but I love everything up to Abacab.

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 6:54 pm

Because people are cynical jackasses.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 7:10 pm

probably because he's not hard rock or heavy metal. that's why i hate him. plus he's balding. i hate that.

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 7:33 pm

mc666 wrote:
probably because he's not hard rock or heavy metal. that's why i hate him. plus he's balding. i hate that.

Laughing very hard why do people hate Phil Collins? 647664

If I had to follow that logic, I'd hate Devin Townsend as well. But I guess most people hate Phil because of all the cheese he put out in the 90's when he sold his soul to Disney and the 'cool-jazz' radio stations, but he is/was a fantastic drummer and singer.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 7:34 pm

I can answer this question in two words (at least for me): His "voice".

Is there a more nasally, whining, Howard Cossell-sounding voice in rock? Not to my ears. This guy makes Michael Stipe sound like a basso.

When Phil "sings", dogs and cats within a three block radius start howling in pain.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 7:53 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I don't know. I like Phil Collins. I think he's a bit cheesy at times, but there are many metal bands that are cheesy at times as well. The first Collins solo album is fantastic. Great CD for late evenings with the wife. Very Happy

Not as big fan of the Genesis stuff after Abacab, but I love everything up to Abacab.

agreed
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 8:38 pm

The funniest Phil Collins cd review I ever read said - "Phil has once again fallen out of the boring tree, and has hit every branch on the way down". Made me literally LOL when I read that. Don't hate him, but will agree that he is boring. Him solo is not a part of my musical vocabulary, though his stuff with Genesis is pretty darn good.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 8:56 pm

GrandNational wrote:
mc666 wrote:

Laughing very hard why do people hate Phil Collins? 647664

But I guess most people hate Phil because of all the cheese he put out in the 90's when he sold his soul to Disney and the 'cool-jazz' radio stations,.

that would be one of the explanations behind it I guess and I heard he did the same thing Bono did by showing off his support to world hunger in Africa but I still don't understand why he would be next to Fred Durst on the most hated list I mean comparing the two together is the equivalent of comparing gold to dog poo
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 8:58 pm

My opinion is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with Phil Collins, aside from a little cheesiness, which is common to most every musician at one time or the other. Good on Phil Collins.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 9:20 pm

I like a lot of his material, in Genesis as well as a solo artist.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 11:00 pm

I prefer Phil Collins in Genesis than his solo material, but I like his solo albums, sure their is some cheese factor on some of his albums but so what. He is very talented musician, great songwriter and IMO a very good vocalist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 11:15 pm

I don't hate Phil Collins, I liked him in Genesis and some of his solo material is excellent...he's also got some real turds in there as well, but as a whole I like him.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 6:45 am

ultmetal wrote:

Nothin wrong with a little cheese... Razz
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 6:46 am

He has written some classic songs in his career so for that i respect him.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 9:56 am

I was not aware that Phil was so hated. I'm not a fan, but I certainly don't hate the guy. Aside from his music, was there any mention of him in his personal life? Is the guy a giant wanker or something? Axl Rose and Fred Durst have multiple reasons for people to dislike them. That I get. But to label Phil Collins as "most hated celebrity" just because of some boring musical output seems fishy to me. There must be more to it.

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:01 am

Quote :
Great CD for late evenings with the wife. Very Happy

That's just dirty.

As for Phil hatred, people like to bandwagon. If one guy says he's terrible, be sure at least 20 people will adopt his feelings based solely on his opinion and so on and so on. We all have been guilty of it at some point. But the bottom line is...Who gives a flying pile of monkey sh!t what people think? I like what I like regardless. Long Live Debbie!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:08 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
Great CD for late evenings with the wife. Very Happy

That's just dirty.

As for Phil hatred, people like to bandwagon. If one guy says he's terrible, be sure at least 20 people will adopt his feelings based solely on his opinion and so on and so on. We all have been guilty of it at some point. But the bottom line is...Who gives a flying pile of monkey sh!t what people think? I like what I like regardless. Long Live Debbie!

I guess something's "In the Air Tonite"... Razz
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:15 am

Phil is sitting in his stu, stu, studio, crying his eyes out over this dubious title. Sad

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37648

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:33 am

I think most people hate Phil nowadays because of this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094819/

Ever seen it? Awful, awful, AWFUL movie. And mind you, this is coming from someone who loves "Howard the Duck."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:38 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I think most people hate Phil nowadays because of this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094819/

Ever seen it? Awful, awful, AWFUL movie. And mind you, this is coming from someone who loves "Howard the Duck."

His appearance on Miami Vice was even better. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37648

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:40 am

Troublezone wrote:

At least Miami Vice was somewhat cool... for its time!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

What?! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 5:04 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I second this, I still watch the re-runs Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: why do people hate Phil Collins?   why do people hate Phil Collins? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

why do people hate Phil Collins?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: