Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out

Go down 
+7
James B.
bassman
Fat Freddy
Alex Dee Rokket
Smindas
kmorg
Telmorn Altayon
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Telmorn Altayon
Metal student
Metal student
Telmorn Altayon

Number of posts : 121

Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Empty
PostSubject: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 2:00 pm

Who here is guilty of buying tickets to an awesome show and then showing up late to miss the opening bands which are unknown? Not that you may or may not be a kiss fan, but they opened up for Black Sabbath, Metallica opened up for Ozzy, and so on. We buy our tickets to see our favorite bands, find out there is an opening act and show up late to miss them on purpose.

Okay, who did this and ended up missing something awesome. Either, your only chance to see a band that had become one of your favorites but now you just can't seem to see live... (If you only knew)... or even something news breaking at a show.

Mine was not my fault, but I had a great two day weekend back in 97. My brother bought tickets to see Dio on a Friday. My first metal show ever was Dio. Man I am lucky... until Saturday came. I saw Dio, and it was a great show on Long Island and the next day was "Ozz-fest" with Pantera, Ozzy, the reunion of Black Sabbath (It was a Sabbath weekend for me I guess, no complaints) and of course Type O Negative. At the time they were my most beloved band I could think of. I just enjoyed the doomy, gloomy style of that band, and what they wrote about. Not that it was life changing, but I enjoyed the mood that came with it. My brother, not so much a fan as I, but he was a Sabbath fan and didn't really want to see them. So... we get there and he didn't want to go in yet, he wanted to hangout and drink a little before going in. The whole time I am hearing Type O playing over the walls of Giant's Stadium. Man I was upset. I said let's go and he said it was just the PA music while bands get ready. I was really young, and just excited to be there so I believed him. I walked in on Pantera which was awesome to see the walls get covered in people jumping over them. That was cool, but again... I missed a band I really wanted to see. I saw Marilyn Manson... ga-hey, but he got booed off the stage, so BONUS!

The second time was an Alice Cooper show... Queensryche was the opening band. Another fav, over the Cooper definatly... but... My brother again wasn't a fan so he drove slowly to miss them on purpose. I missed them playing.

So how about you?
Back to top Go down
http://www.MakeARightLeftHere.com -- www.BBRProductions.com
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 2:06 pm

Missed Audivision opening for Stryper, becasue I didn't know there was an opening act!

I missed one of my local favorites, Artch, one time, as I didn't think they were starting as early as they did.

A friend of mine went to see Testament as an opening act, and left the headliners came on. He only liked Testament. The headliners were Iron Maiden!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 2:54 pm

Your friend has issues, kmorg.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 3:08 pm

I missed out on seeing Decapitated with the original line-up. They were opening up for Nile and I chose to hang out with my friend instead until Nile were about to hit the stage.

Several months after that gig, Decapitated were involved in a fatal bus accident. The drummer died and the guitarist has since been in a coma. The band went on hiatus for several years until recently this year when they reunited with a fresh new line-up - only one original member has remained in the band.

I've also missed out altogether on seeing some of my favorite bands. I didn't see Pantera on their last ever tour in 2001 - I was still very young at the time (had just turned 17) and had not yet gone out to any concerts. Despite the fact that 2001 marked the year of my first batch of concerts, I didn't start attending concerts until I was closer to turning 18. I was very upset at the time for having missed out on one of my favorite bands - a band that I attribute to shaping my interest and taste in metal as much as Metallica, Slayer, Maiden, Sabbath (I was a teen in the 90s so yea Pantera was a big deal for me). I was devastated when Dimebag died because suddenly I knew that the mere prospect of ever catching a glimpse of him and whatever band he may have been playing with was gone forever.

There have been other bands I missed out on seeing live that I regret now: Nightwish with Tarja, Anthrax with John Bush... but oh well no reason to wallow in regrets... gotta keep on looking forward to new concerts.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 4:02 pm

Went to see Iced Earth/In Flames/Jag Panzer in Philadelphia in '02. After the drive down from North Jersey my friend and I were starved so we grabbed something to eat before going to the club, figuring we had plenty of time to get there before Jag Panzer came onstage. Aaaaaand...nope. When we got to the venue JP was already on stage, to my dismay. We caught their last two songs and they were done. I was severely bummed.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 4:41 pm

Back in 92 I had tickets for Deliverance on the Stay of Execution tour with Saviour Machine opening and my car broke down the day of the show and I couldn't get a ride cause none of my stupid friends liked Deliverance. I called an aquaintance who at least bought me a shirt at the show but it still was a horrible experience.
Back to top Go down
Telmorn Altayon
Metal student
Metal student
Telmorn Altayon

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 5:20 pm

kmorg wrote:
Iron Maiden!

I can't believe anyone would want to miss Maiden, unless it was without Bruce of course.

Back to top Go down
Telmorn Altayon
Metal student
Metal student
Telmorn Altayon

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 5:20 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Went to see Iced Earth/In Flames/Jag Panzer in Philadelphia in '02. After the drive down from North Jersey my friend and I were starved so we grabbed something to eat before going to the club, figuring we had plenty of time to get there before Jag Panzer came onstage. Aaaaaand...nope. When we got to the venue JP was already on stage, to my dismay. We caught their last two songs and they were done. I was severely bummed.

That really sucks man, all three of those bands are awesome live, but to get a glimpse of the headliner for two songs is just a knife in the heart man. Sorry you had to deal with that...
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12615

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 5:24 pm

I was in a van that broke down on a drive from San Berdoo to Oakland in July of 77'. We were on the way to see Zepelin, (was tagging along with an older sibling) and didn't make it.

I wasn't too bummed at the time because I figured I'd have another oppurtunity to catch them live....nope. That was the LAST show they ever played in the USA.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 6:12 pm

Telmorn Altayon wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

That really sucks man, all three of those bands are awesome live, but to get a glimpse of the headliner for two songs is just a knife in the heart man. Sorry you had to deal with that...

Jag Panzer were the opening band actually... we just misjudged the start time of the show. Sad

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Telmorn Altayon
Metal student
Metal student
Telmorn Altayon

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 6:15 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Telmorn Altayon wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Jag Panzer were the opening band actually... we just misjudged the start time of the show. Sad

Ah, well, that's not as bad. At least you saw the other bands play. \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Telmorn Altayon wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Telmorn Altayon wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Ah, well, that's not as bad. At least you saw the other bands play. \'arry \'eadbanger

Well, yeah, but I really really REALLY wanted to see Jag Panzer!!!!

Back to top Go down
Telmorn Altayon
Metal student
Metal student
Telmorn Altayon

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 6:26 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Telmorn Altayon wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Telmorn Altayon wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Well, yeah, but I really really REALLY wanted to see Jag Panzer!!!!

I can totally understand. We opened for them a looooong time ago and before the show we got to hangout with them. They are really nice guys, polite and down to Earth.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 6:28 pm

Mark Briody from Jag Panzer is a Facebook "friend." I told him that story and he joked that if he's ever in my home town, he'll stop by and play the songs I missed. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Telmorn Altayon
Metal student
Metal student
Telmorn Altayon

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 6:31 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Mark Briody from Jag Panzer is a Facebook "friend." I told him that story and he joked that if he's ever in my home town, he'll stop by and play the songs I missed. Laughing

LOL That's awesome. If he comes over you have to totally convince him to come to your house and film them playing acoustically. You'll be the hero of Heart of Metal
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 9:56 pm

Does drinking so much you don't remember any of the show count? If so, I have missed hundreds of bands.
Back to top Go down
Telmorn Altayon
Metal student
Metal student
Telmorn Altayon

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 am

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
Does drinking so much you don't remember any of the show count? If so, I have missed hundreds of bands.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out 647664
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 1:58 am

I missed Fates Warning when they opened for Dream Theater on the Awake Tour. My best friends girlfriend was hella lagging that night. I don't remember why...
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 10:31 am

Lots of shows - of course, that was in high school when my Dad wouldn't let me go to concert because of "too many drugs".

Missed:
KISS - Creatures, Animalize tours
Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind, Powerslave tours
Judas Priest - the infamous Capital Center show that is featured in Heavy Metal Parking lot
Ratt - Invasion tour
Metallica - Ride The lightning tour
Mercyful Fate/Exciter - Don;t Break The Oath era

The list goes on and on.....
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 3:42 pm

Smindas wrote:
Your friend has issues, kmorg.

I know, I know! We also walked out on Saxon and Halford on Sweden Rock Festival many years ago, because we were exhausted! I missed so many cool bands at Wacken when I was there, becasue my feet wouldn't carry me anymore, it is not even funny. Blind Guardian was one of them!

I've also only seen 2 half shows with Iced Earth, when Matt was with them. I wasn't too familiar with the band that year, so I didn't bother to watch the entire sets. Not long after I really opened up to them, but since they never toured in Norway, I never got to see them with Matt again! I did see them with Ripper though, and got to meet mr. Schaeffer (sp?).

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 10:27 am

My big regret was missing Metallica with Cliff Burton as the opening act for Ozzy.

I was just a young pup and only just started getting into "that heavy metal noise". I only had a handful of concerts under my belt and my parents were hesitant to let me go see Ozzy, who was still evil at the time. I didn't even know or care who Metallica was at the time, nor did my buddies I went with. We're not a religious family, just common sense of letting a 15(?) year old take public transportation to a concert with friends and no adult supervision. My parents reluctence was spot-on though, as we got stupid drunk in the parking lot before the show, totally skipping the opening act and barely making it in for Ozzy, which I don't remember anyway. I'm pretty sure I puked that night too.

It would be a few years later when I looked back and realized my folly.

I missed seeing Anthrax (w/ John Bush) opening for Judas Priest (w/Tim Owens) for reasons now I can't remember. We got to the venue late and as we stood in line to get in, I could hear John Bush thanking the audience and telling them to make some noise for Judas Priest. I'm still kinda bummed about that as I've yet to see Anthrax in a live setting after all these years.

Quote :

Been there, done that. As long as you're in the same building, it counts. drunken

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 10:48 am

I missed seeing Hammerfall and Death. I can't remember why I couldn't make that show. Regardless, it was the last tour for Death as Chuck passed away not long after.

I was a huge Stryper fan in the 80's, but when they were popular I was in college. For some reason, I whenever they were playing in the upstate NY area of my school, I was back home in NJ, and when I was in school that's when they would be playing in my hometown area. Never got to see them until my band opened for them at the second Stryper convention in Anaheim in 2002.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 11:04 am

ultmetal wrote:

I was a huge Stryper fan in the 80's, but when they were popular I was in college. For some reason, I whenever they were playing in the upstate NY area of my school, I was back home in NJ, and when I was in school that's when they would be playing in my hometown area.

I had a similar experience with Iron Maiden during my teenage years/early 20's. Any time they came thru my area I was either out of town, or away at college, or in one case, I had just spent a ton of $$ on tickets for other shows. Iron Maiden and I were like ships passing in the night for years and years. I finally saw them live for the first time when they toured for BRAVE NEW WORLD in 2000. (and I've seen them twice since then, so I've made up for lost time. Laughing )

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 11:15 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I was a huge Stryper fan in the 80's, but when they were popular I was in college. For some reason, I whenever they were playing in the upstate NY area of my school, I was back home in NJ, and when I was in school that's when they would be playing in my hometown area.

I had a similar experience with Iron Maiden during my teenage years/early 20's. Any time they came thru my area I was either out of town, or away at college, or in one case, I had just spent a ton of $$ on tickets for other shows. Iron Maiden and I were like ships passing in the night for years and years. I finally saw them live for the first time when they toured for BRAVE NEW WORLD in 2000. (and I've seen them twice since then, so I've made up for lost time. Laughing )

That happened to me with Aerosmith and Guns n' Roses. I was on vacation in Wildwood, NJ with my family when Aerosmith came thru town on the Permanent Vacation tour with a young and hungry GnR as the opening act.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 11:21 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

That happened to me with Aerosmith and Guns n' Roses. I was on vacation in Wildwood, NJ with my family when Aerosmith came thru town on the Permanent Vacation tour with a young and hungry GnR as the opening act.

Ouch. Yeah, I got screwed outta seeing Aerosmith on that tour, too (no GnR opening though, I think we had Dokken) cuz I'd placed my trust in an unworthy person who swore he could get me a ticket. I handed over my $$, but never got a ticket. He concocted some B.S. story about Ticketmaster not putting aside the right # of tickets for him, but I later found out that he'd used my $$ to buy one for his girlfriend instead. I did get my $$ back from him but as soon as it was in my hand I bounced his head off a locker and never spoke to the A-hole again.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out   Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Concerts filled with Metal-lific fun, but I missed out
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next