Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TourniqueT news

Go down 
+25
Troublezone
ryanmetalman
Dave the Boss
James B.
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
nevermore
MetalGuy71
Glenn Rogers
ultmetal
Shawn Of Fire
exact33
Rami Airola
adrian
Ben Grimm
shamgar75
Temple of Blood
thejokeriv
mc666
MetalH
bassman
powermacho
GrandNational
Rex
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

TourniqueT news - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 1:09 pm

It will be interesting to see how it works out for them.

nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25944

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 2:53 pm

bassman wrote:
I understand the concept he's talking about, but I thought we buy the CDs, the T-shirts, and all the other merch at the concerts to fund the band. Now we are asked to donate money to record an album that we will have to spend more money to buy when it comes out. Sounds iffy to me, and I love the band but this kind of turns me off, you know?

I agree.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 4:16 pm

I get the concept of pre-orders...I also understand that what I can get done in NC is probably more expensive in CA...but $22K? With what is available today in terms of recording in smaller studios and achieving good sound quality, I still think $22K is a bit much. I have to think that half of that has to be Neil Kernon's fee, which I think is unnecessary. But hey, I'm not in TQT and they can do whatever they feel like the need to.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 7:57 pm

ultmetal wrote:
$22,000 is more than we have spent recording Ultimatum's albums combined. LOL!

I guess you answered my question Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 12:04 pm

A band can record a full album with mixing and mastering for about 5-6 thousand. 22 thousand dollars for these idiots to record another crap album is too funny for words.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37670

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 12:15 pm

Weren't Bride also thinking of trying this "fan-financed album" idea a couple of years ago?

ultmetal wrote:
Someone has already paid 750

Ouch! What're they gonna do if that guy doesn't like the CD when it comes out? "The new album sucks! I want my $750 back!" Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 2:01 pm

The most we ever spent on recording an album was Mechanics of Perilous Times, which cost us upward of $8-9,000. The engineer was spending so much time tweaking this and that, he was killing us.

We recorded "Lex Metalis" for $2,500. Of course, that is just the cost of the studio; recording and mixing. That doesn't count making the CDs, artwork, etc.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 2:02 pm

hahaha what a sucker! He's never gonna see his 750.00 donation amount to anything except more garbage.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 2:04 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Weren't Bride also thinking of trying this "fan-financed album" idea a couple of years ago?

ultmetal wrote:
Someone has already paid 750

Ouch! What're they gonna do if that guy doesn't like the CD when it comes out? "The new album sucks! I want my $750 back!" Laughing

but the good part is if it is not good we can blame all the people who contributed.

will the contributers at least get credit in the booklet?

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Lurideath wrote:
hahaha what a sucker! He's never gonna see his 750.00 donation amount to anything except more garbage.

Not everybody thinks the last couple of albums from Tourniquet sucked you know. That being said, $750 seems a little rediculous (sic) unless they get to have lunch with the band Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 2:52 pm

I think this type of model will hurt in the long-term. If bands rely on fans to support both the recording and then to buy the cd, it might work with a handful of artists but if it becomes expected - i dont think fans will be willing to fork over that much cash...

Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 3:46 pm

Sorry you liked their last few albums then! Smurf!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 8:06 pm

TourniqueT news - Page 2 19976
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Well, the whole concept makes more sense now. I stand corrected. I still think it's a terrible idea and the only money I will be chipping in will be the money for the CD if it ever comes out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 9:03 pm

MetalH wrote:
Well, the whole concept makes more sense now. I stand corrected. I still think it's a terrible idea and the only money I will be chipping in will be the money for the CD if it ever comes out.

Agreed. It's been over 7 years. When it comes out, I'll plunk down the money.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12645

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 10:20 am

I'd give em a Benji if they got Erik, Gary, Victor and that cartoon voiced singer back in the fold \'arry \'eadbanger

That line up really ripped it up on the stage.

Tourniquet NEEDS two guit-fiddle players and dude playing now isn't one of em

My .02 from the middle of Montana

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 8:11 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Lurideath wrote:

Not everybody thinks the last couple of albums from Tourniquet sucked you know. That being said, $750 seems a little rediculous (sic) unless they get to have lunch with the band Very Happy .

750 bucks! For that kind of donation they would have to be introducing me as the new bass player because if I'm going to drop that kind of dough on the band, I'd better get to lay down half the bass tracks on the new recording.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 10:09 am

Why not go for 100.000 and get Andy Sneap to produce it... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

Number of posts : 274

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 11:46 pm

James B. wrote:
That (classic) line up really ripped it up on the stage.

Tourniquet NEEDS two guit-fiddle players and dude playing now isn't one of em

AGREED! headbanger

Too bad Gary will never return, but I would wet myself if Victor, Erik, and Guy returned to the fold. While I can find something to like with "Vanishing Lessons" and onward, they just don't have the same chemistry that they did with the first three records.

...and I'm sorry, but Luke just isn't that great a singer. He sounded good on "Vanishing Lessons," but I think that was only because his voice was layered more than half the time on that album IMO.

Ever since Intense records vanished, Tourniquet (to me at least) seems unfocused.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 8:59 am

Everyone speaks of "chemistry" with the original line up, but what we forget is that, aside from vocals, there's no guarantee that the guitars/bass were played by who we think. There is a better than average chance that Ted wrote/played a large part of those parts himself in addition to drums.

Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:26 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Everyone speaks of "chemistry" with the original line up, but what we forget is that, aside from vocals, there's no guarantee that the guitars/bass were played by who we think. There is a better than average chance that Ted wrote/played a large part of those parts himself in addition to drums.

Someone said they had better chemistry on live shows. It's hard to disagree when watching Ocular Digital DVD (there's Tourniquet's first show ever and a show from 2002, I recall). Especially Victor Macias had HUGE stage presence. HUGE!

On albums, though, it's true that it's more difficult to say anything about their chemistry. From Psycho Surgery to The Collected Works it's clear that Victor played all bass tracks himself. On Stop the Bleeding Ted and Gary shared that duty. On Crawl to China and Microscopic View of a Telescopic Realm Ted and Aaron shared the bass tracks.
What comes to playing the guitar parts they have always admitted that whoever played the riffs better got to play them on record. I think it usually went so that Ted played guitar on most of the songs he wrote and Gary played on most of the songs he wrote. I don't know if Erik played any of the rhythm guitar on the albums.

Watching their early live shows it's clear though that Gary was able to play all the riffs really well. He played the riffs well enough to make the audience think he had played them on the albums as well.
They really had great chemistry on stage. There's no doubt about it.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:28 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Good point.

But Ted likely didn't do the vocals on those albums. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 11:59 am

Ted Kirkpatrick wrote:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/826349560/the-new-tourniquet-album

Hey everyone - thanks for creating all the usual lively Tourniquet discussion! A big thanks to all the people who have already pledged for the new Tourniquet album. A few things to clear up: about the $22,000 goal - first of all, Kickstarter takes a cut (as they well deserve) of the total if the album gets funded. Amazon also takes a cut for the credit card processing. Plus, if you have a thorough look at our pledge rewards, there is considerable expense for us as well.

As for the pledge rewards, consider one like the $25 pledge. You get a free signed postcard Luke designs, digital download AND the actual CD - 2 weeks before release date, plus free shipping anywhere in the world. Not exactly stealing your money... Or pledging for one of the guitars used on the album, which someone has already done - we're not strolling up to the local Guitar Center and buying the cheapest guitar they have to send out - thankfully most of you here "get it" judging from your comments.

Please keep in mind your credit card is NOT charged unless and until the $22,000 goal is met and the funding period is over. If it isn't met, nothing happens - you lose nothing.

I'd like to think that we (Tourniquet) have been good stewards of the considerable financial blessings we have received over the years as a result of people for whatever reason being into our music and message. The tons of self-funded merch we have released - CDs: Acoustic Archives, four separate CD rereleases, Ode to a Roadkill, In the Shadow of the Masters, 3 DVDs, videos, drumsticks, posters, T shirts, hats, on and on, not to mention free stuff and giving to charities - is a direct result of putting much of the money that comes in back into the /business/passion/ministry of Tourniquet.

I sometimes tell people that I've used my college business degree(UT-Austin) more for Tourniquet than I have in my early conventional business positions. We strive to release whatever we feel you, the fans, will enjoy (plus what we like)- whether it's music, video, T shirts, or coffee. This may come across sounding corny, but we want you to be happy with what you get from us. It seems to work well as countless items have sold out and many have been reprinted - some multiple times.

Our partnership with Kickstarter is not a desperate attempt to get your money. It is a well thought out plan that is, for us at this time, the best way to record and release a hi-fidelity Tourniquet album, PLUS give back to you as much as we are able and still get the record done. As I said, we have already self-funded tons of other stuff, but we feel a new Tourniquet album deserves a top producer like Neil Kernon along with some serious studio time and top notch mastering. Thanks for reading and hope you join us by pledging!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17077

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 4:26 pm

mc666 wrote:
haven't cared for these guys since Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance. everything after that has gotten progressively worse.

+1

I also thought Vanishing Lessons had it's moments but i never liked Luke Easter in the band.

He RUINS the Guy Ritter songs!

And even though i don't like Gary's new outlook on Christianity, he was a major part of the classic TQT sound and a great guitar player...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17077

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 4:31 pm

If this album is meant to be, I'll check it out... hopefully Luke's vocals will not be corny like usual.

But i have to admit that i'm a big fan of Farmer Ted's drumming! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TourniqueT news
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next