Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TourniqueT news

Go down 
+25
Troublezone
ryanmetalman
Dave the Boss
James B.
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
nevermore
MetalGuy71
Glenn Rogers
ultmetal
Shawn Of Fire
exact33
Rami Airola
adrian
Ben Grimm
shamgar75
Temple of Blood
thejokeriv
mc666
MetalH
bassman
powermacho
GrandNational
Rex
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 6:25 pm

Ted Kirkpatrick wrote:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/826349560/the-new-tourniquet-album

NEW TOURNIQUET ALBUM UPDATE – We’re continually encouraged by the flood of people asking “When will we get a new Tourniquet album?" Well, we’ve been working to make it happen. Here’s the deal: due to the current great opportunities for artists to “do it themselves”, and on the other hand the steady decline of record labels everywhere, we’re going independent on this one. Increasingly, even platinum selling artists have decided to go the independent route to have more control of their art and careers. For Tourniquet, we believe its best so that we have the freedom to make the album we want to and retain control of the final product. If the album turns out as well as we hope, the opportunity to have it picked up and distributed by a label is certainly there.

Tourniquet is ready to record. We feel the new album will be filled with songs that are destined to become classics. We’re set to work with top producer Neil Kernon, who has an impressive track record from producing many bands we all know. Making a high-quality album is not cheap. The recording, mixing, mastering, and manufacturing all cost lots of money. This is where you, the fans, come in. Our hope is that you will contribute toward the production of our new album. In return, we are ready to give back a whole bunch of cool stuff for anyone who contributes toward the new album budget.

We have partnered with Kickstarter, an ingenious platform for funding creative projects. Other well known artists are already using Kickstarter – Christian musician/film producer Steve Taylor recently had his new film funded, as did Christian artists Showbread for their new album. It’s definitely becoming a sensible choice for artists of all kinds and no doubt you will be seeing much more of it in the future.

Our goal is to raise $22,000. This may sound like a huge number, but in the world of making records, it's far from extravagant. We’ve got until January 14, 2011 to raise the full amount. Kickstarter is wisely set up as “all or nothing” funding. That way, it protects us from having to deliver a record without the necessary funds, and allows you to see if others feel the project is worth funding. So – unless we raise the full amount, all is lost – we get no funds to make the album, and you get none of the cool stuff we’re offering! If we raise more than that amount (which would be awesome), we’ll put it right back into the band for merchandise, shows, etc. to help us continue in this ministry called Tourniquet.

Have a look at the video and see what we are excited to give back – hope you join us and please spread the word!
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 6:50 pm

It's been so long between Tourniquet albums, I've lost interest in the band and wouldn't care if they never recorded another album, although I do love most of their albums. You wanna raise some extra money for a new recording? Play some live shows.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 6:53 pm

great to hear the want to make it back.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 7:10 pm

I understand the concept he's talking about, but I thought we buy the CDs, the T-shirts, and all the other merch at the concerts to fund the band. Now we are asked to donate money to record an album that we will have to spend more money to buy when it comes out. Sounds iffy to me, and I love the band but this kind of turns me off, you know?
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 7:23 pm

bassman wrote:
I understand the concept he's talking about, but I thought we buy the CDs, the T-shirts, and all the other merch at the concerts to fund the band. Now we are asked to donate money to record an album that we will have to spend more money to buy when it comes out. Sounds iffy to me, and I love the band but this kind of turns me off, you know?

That's exactly what I was hinting at without really saying it. We'll support you when you put the product out, if it's worth investing in. The fans should not be a charity organization for a bands recording expenses unless you want to give out of the goodness of your heart without being asked for anything. And I don't buy into this whole "Tourniquet ministry" deal. You're just a band, not a church or non-profit organization. Like I said, play some live shows and fund yourself that way, it's the noble thing to do . Smile
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 7:28 pm

GrandNational wrote:
bassman wrote:

Amen brother, that's exactly what I was hinting at without really saying it. We'll support you when you put the product out, if it's worth investing in. The fans should not be a charity organization for a bands recording expenses unless you want to give out of the goodness of your heart without being asked for anything. Like I said, play some live shows and fund yourself that way.

I'm not very subtle, sometimes I just have to say things in a direct way so there's no misunderstandings. Yes, please put out a quality product, tour it through my neck of the woods, and I will show up and drop some cash on the band. That's the way everybody else does it, and it seems to work just fine.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 7:58 pm

So I have to donate to the band so they can record a new album, and then I have to turn around and pay for the CD?? LOL! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 9:31 pm

haven't cared for these guys since Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance. everything after that has gotten progressively worse.

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 9:41 pm

GrandNational wrote:
bassman wrote:

That's exactly what I was hinting at without really saying it. We'll support you when you put the product out, if it's worth investing in. The fans should not be a charity organization for a bands recording expenses unless you want to give out of the goodness of your heart without being asked for anything. And I don't buy into this whole "Tourniquet ministry" deal. You're just a band, not a church or non-profit organization. Like I said, play some live shows and fund yourself that way, it's the noble thing to do . Smile

Well, if they want money for a new album they could always make money by donating at the local sperm back - guys that do that are making money hand over fist
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 9:53 pm

They can't play enough live shows to raise $22,000 in today's musical climate and economy.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 10:27 pm

I'm still excited at the fact that they will be putting out a new record finally. I want to see where their sound is now, especially after hearing Where Moth and Rust Destroy.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 10:29 pm

I don't know this sounds like a dud, good luck meeting that goal for that deadline. New Tourniquet album in 2013
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 11:27 pm

JIV, I wouldn't recommend that, that's a bit of a stretch man. You're funny Leo.

ToB, I don't care how much it takes to raise $22,000. Live shows was just a suggestion. Using common sense as a band may be another.

Does anyone know the average recording costs of a band without a label doing it on their own? Scott, Shawn, Shannon, what say you?
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 11:40 pm

Hmm, I love the first two or so Tourniquet albums and the last two weren't bad, but donating for the new album? I don't know about that.

I have a slip of paper from earlier this year that came with my patch that said new Tourniquet album Winter 2010.
Back to top Go down
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 7:07 am

MetalH wrote:
So I have to donate to the band so they can record a new album, and then I have to turn around and pay for the CD?? LOL! Laughing very hard

No, if you'd check out that Kickstarter website you'd notice that if you donate $25 or more you'll be getting the album as a reward two weeks before the official release date, plus a post card and free digital download. The rewards get bigger the more amount you donate. For example, paying 200 dollars rewards you this post card (which you'll be getting with a $5 pledge), digital download, the CD, phone calls / letters, drum sticks, a poster and a T-shirt.

Someone has already paid 750 which quarantees all those previously mentioned items plus a line or two of vocals in the album (recorded over the phone, just like Steve Rowe did on Tourniquet's Microscopic View of a Telescopic Realm).

Also, if they don't get the 22000 dollars the money will not be transferred from the bank accounts so no one loses any money if the project dies.

I guess Ted didn't mention this well enough as a lot of people seem to think the way you did.

Just to make it clear, by funding 10 dollars you will get to download the album. By funding 25 dollars you will get a physical copy of the album.

EDIT:
Also, I believe they will also use their own money on this.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 7:18 am

I agree with Rami, I have to think they already have the money ready to go but want to try and offset that expense as much as they can.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 8:25 am

Ill give it a listen but I wont be donating.

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 9:11 am

$22K, IMO, is not necessary. They don't have to use Neil Kernon...thats where most of that money is going. They could make a quality record for half of that. They need to call Jamie King.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 11:04 am

$22,000 is more than we have spent recording Ultimatum's albums combined. LOL!

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 11:37 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
$22K, IMO, is not necessary. They don't have to use Neil Kernon...thats where most of that money is going. They could make a quality record for half of that.

Bingo!

If not less .....
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 11:54 am

Dip into your own pocket...Thats how we do it....
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 12:00 pm

I don't fault them for this and at least they aren't taking the money until it's all there. You get some perks and you can not donate if you want. More power to 'em I say.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 12:11 pm

A few years ago when I first started hearing of this practice, I thought it was kinda in poor taste to ask the fans for donations to make a record. I can't put my finger on why exactly, but I don't like it.

Buy the album, buy a ticket to the show, buy a t-shirt. That I don't have a problem with. But asking for hand-outs to record an album (even if they promise something in return) just rubs me the wrong way.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 12:45 pm

This seems to be the coming norm now - Rhino Bucket just completed their pledge drive.

Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 12:57 pm

The more I think about it, the more I think this is a good idea. The donations are essentially pre-orders for the new album and depending on how much you give, the more you get.

The thing about selling t-shirts and other merch to make money is that its takes money and time to make that merch and if they don't sell enough merch to recoup what they put into it, then they've lost money on that deal too. Doing it the Kickstart way is a more direct means IMO.

My big concern for the band is their timing.......this is the Christmas season. People are already spending their extra money on gifts and other seasonal festivities.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TourniqueT news Empty
PostSubject: Re: TourniqueT news   TourniqueT news Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TourniqueT news
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next