Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Megadeth - Sudden Death

Go down 
+16
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
MEGATRON
Metal Misfit
Smindas
DallasBlack
Gilbert
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
vanillaviking
Joe
akeldama
Alex Dee Rokket
Required Fields
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28430

Megadeth - Sudden Death Empty
PostSubject: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 7:36 pm

I'm not sure if there's been a thread about this or not, but here is the new Megadeth song:

http://www.megadeth.com/home_popup.php?news_id=1694
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 8:23 pm

I like it!

It's very much what I would expect from Megadeth - some really good solos on there.

Overall the song reminds me a bit of End Game mixed with United Abominations - just more frantic sounding solos. But otherwise no real departure from the recent wave of Megadeth releases. Good song - hopefully it will make it on the next Megadeth album (maybe as a bonus track or something).
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 8:39 pm

I agree that it sounds like EG meets UA, I had to download it off itunes b/c I couldn't wait!
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 9:00 pm

Killer!!!
Back to top Go down
vanillaviking
Metal student
Metal student
vanillaviking

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 10:35 pm

sounded recent, but then had a bit of a creepy vibe like 'go to hell' going on at the same time. i like it!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 10:36 pm

New songs already?

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 10:53 pm

Wonder if MegaDave is still P.O'd with Roadrunner ?

Me like headbanger

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 12:17 am

I don't think Dave will ever feel comfortable with any label. He had a rocky relationship with Capitol and Megadeth was with Capitol for approx. 14 years.

I've always been a very big of Megadeth along side Metallica cause for me I think those two bands really were the ambassadors of thrash metal in the 80s and of metal generally (much the same way as Iron Maiden and Judas Priest).

But I do reserve some criticism about Megadeth and it has nothing to do with Mustaine, with stylistic changes, in fact it's quite the opposite.

I understand that Risk obviously didn't go down well at all with either the fans or the band - I remember when it came out the band were really forcing themselves to stand by that album and promote their new found direction with sincerity. However, as Mustaine rightly said around 2000, what radio station would ever play a song like Breadline by a band called Megadeth? I mean of course, if it were played by 3 Doors Down it would make sense but when it is done by Megadeth is makes very little sense. Risk was a much bigger departure for Megadeth than say Load was for Metallica because for all intents, Load (and Reload) seemed like an extension of the Black Album with more experimentation throw in the mix (this is something that I can say with the benefit of hindsight in 2010 of course).

With that in mind, my criticism is that Dave just seems to be trying way too hard nowadays to capture the essence, energy, attitude, whatever you want to name it of Megadeth's sound circa Rust in Peace / Countdown. I do appreciate hearing all these heavier albums like Endgame and United Abominations but honestly I used to like it better when Dave would release albums that showcased a balance between the old and the new - that is, a combination of where Megadeth was creatively at the time of the recording and material that was influenced by previous recordings and that could be seen on Countdown, Youthanasia and Cryptic.

The newer albums however, starting roughly around TWNAH lack that balance. It is almost as though Dave no longer cares about taking Megadeth in uncharted territory and is playing it too safe in order to appease his fan base, fearing that if he were to push the limits of what Megadeth is about he would suffer another backlash from the fans.

With that said, System Has Failed was definitely the best Megadeth album since either Youthanasia or Cryptic Writings. System is exactly what I expect Dave to do with Megadeth - reach that balance between old and new and that album does it very well.

All I'm suggesting is Dave should write from the heart and not based on what the fans expect. I don't really want nor care for Rust in Peace Part 2 or Peace Sells Part 2, or even 80s Megadeth redux - I'd much rather hear the creative Mustaine that I grew to love in the 90s.

What are your opinions?
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9878

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 12:44 am

Good. I'm looking forward to a new Megadeth album.

By the way, is united abominations a good album? I just listened to sleepwalker and liked it a lot.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 1:38 am

Gilbert wrote:

By the way, is united abominations a good album? I just listened to sleepwalker and liked it a lot.

Depends on who you ask. Opinion on that album is divided, but I for one love it (moreso than Endgame).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 2:43 am

Personally I am always looking forward to new Megadeth albums.

Divided opinions for bands like Megadeth will always exist due to their sheer size and popularity. The more popular a band is the more opinions there will be about that band.

I believe it's only the natural course of things - if Toxic Holocaust were as popular as Megadeth there would be just as many dividing opinions.

The real beef I have with these 'dividing opinions' is that they lack any sort of substance. They're not informed opinions, they are merely the opinions of Blabbermouth trolls who attract attention onto themselves with simple one-liner comments like "Mustaine is (insert expletive)..." (and so on).

It is "sad but true" to coin a famous band's lyrics. It seems that no matter which band you choose, when they are as big as Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica etc. there seems to be just as many haters as there are those who like the band. In that regard those type of bands have the most insensitive and sensitive listeners / fans. The insensitive ones develop this bitter disgruntled attitude about everything a band does after a certain point, they try to come up with all sorts of reasons to justify their deep resentment for the band or the musician involved and will scold anyone who thinks otherwise, usually calling them names or telling them that they are somehow wrong for not agreeing with that person's opinion of the band. The sensitive ones seem to be on the other extreme, they're the ones who like everything the band releases and will defend the band even if they release the worst album of all-time.
They will even go as far as convincing you that other bands just aren't nearly as good and that (insert famous band's name) are in fact THE BEST in the particular genre bar none.

The same cannot quite be said of a band the caliber of Toxic Holocaust. Realistically a band like Toxic Holocaust has most probably fewer than 100 real hardcore fans. To them the band can probably do no wrong but for the rest of us who know and have heard their music, we likely to still be 'skeptical fans'. We like what we hear but we also tend to start appreciating bands more when they have some history behind them (at least that's how I am).

When I hear that opinions are divided about a new album by Megadeth or Iron Maiden I automatically think that most of those opinions aren't of any substance. Rather those 'dividing opinions' come from either the sensitive fans who will defend the album as being the best ever or at least as good as (insert band's previous album); or, alternatively, from the insensitive fans who are probably cursing the band's existence altogether.

In that regard, with bands the size of Megadeth, it is nearly impossible to find an objective critic who can truly say what they feel about a new album, unaffected by personal preference of album X or Y from that band's catalog. Fact is that by this stage it's impossible to really get a true objective view of how a new Megadeth album sounds without the reviewer drawing comparisons or showing off the fandom.

I also believe this is the reason why bands like Megadeth and Metallica can no longer sincerely express themselves creatively. They are (at least partially) blind sided by their sensitive fans who like everything, and dismiss any criticism as coming from the 'insensitive fans' who are merely expressing their frustration with the band or jealousy at the band's success.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 7:07 am

New song sounds decent, but nothing special.

As for Megadeth's recent output, I basically very much agree with Alex here. The recent Megadeth output, specifically Endgame for me, shows Dave trying to hard to capture an era that is gone and he is no longer able to naturally write. The System Has Failed was a great album because it seemed to incorporate the early thrashery and the later melody, creating a nice midway point. Endgame went too far one way and is just a record of relentless riffs - I maintain there's barely any songs there.

I definitely want to see Mustaine stop pandering to whatever side of the fanbase and create a record that flows naturally. The System Has Failed probably came out like it did because it was originally meant to be his solo album. It certainly feels more natural than Endgame.

I might have overused the word 'natural' there, but it seemed appropriate.

Metal student
Metal student
vanillaviking

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 8:08 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
New songs already?

it's just an isolated track for guitar hero.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 3:33 pm

I like this song a lot.

Gilbert, I liked UA a lot better than I did Endgame but both suffered from filler. There were only like 3 songs I really really liked off Endgame but I'm always anxious for new MegaDave.

Shortly after Endgame I seem to remember him saying he wanted off the label already but that he had to give them another album (and in general, he wanted to do two more Megadeth albums) and he seemed to imply he was already working on what he owed Roadrunner. I wonder if "Sudden Death" came out of those sessions. I'm sure we'll see a new Megadeth album next year, if their track record is any indication.

Where do you think he'll go after Roadrunner? Metal Blade, SPV, Nuclear Blast, Rhino, self-released? I think Eleven Seven would be a good choice because they're old school but modern at the same time but I know Dave & Nikki don't get along.
Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 8:25 am

Gilbert wrote:

My favourite Megadeth album.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 10:36 am

Smindas wrote:
New song sounds decent, but nothing special.

As for Megadeth's recent output, I basically very much agree with Alex here. The recent Megadeth output, specifically Endgame for me, shows Dave trying to hard to capture an era that is gone and he is no longer able to naturally write. The System Has Failed was a great album because it seemed to incorporate the early thrashery and the later melody, creating a nice midway point. Endgame went too far one way and is just a record of relentless riffs - I maintain there's barely any songs there.

I definitely want to see Mustaine stop pandering to whatever side of the fanbase and create a record that flows naturally. The System Has Failed probably came out like it did because it was originally meant to be his solo album. It certainly feels more natural than Endgame.

I might have overused the word 'natural' there, but it seemed appropriate.

I kind of agree on your accessment of Endgame, I liked it but I didn't have a overwhelming desire to hear it too often. United Abominations on the other hand (despite a few filler songs) was one I listened to repeatedly.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 10:45 am

I guess I'm the only one who thought ENDGAME was better than UNITED ABOMINATIONS by a mile. Sad

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 10:57 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I guess I'm the only one who thought ENDGAME was better than UNITED ABOMINATIONS by a mile. Sad

I think so too.

I sold UA back, the only track I like on it is "Sleepwalker".
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 11:17 am

I echo Smindas' opinion of Endgame. I really wanted to like that album too.

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 11:21 am

I love them both. Endgame is one frenetic album, only one song slows down to breathe.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 11:31 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

I think endgame is better too, just not by a mile, I also like UA, but EG is the better of the two
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 11:36 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I think endgame is better too, just not by a mile, I also like UA, but EG is the better of the two

I agree Joker.Not a mile better but I do like it a little better than UA
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 12:21 pm

Endgame as an album is kind of like a classic car with a fancy new paint job...so you don't notice all the putty and body work and the fact that the frame is rusted out.

Looks shiny at first, repeated listening reveals the fact there isn't any substance underneath.

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 12:32 pm

detuned wrote:
Endgame as an album is kind of like a classic car with a fancy new paint job...so you don't notice all the putty and body work and the fact that the frame is rusted out.

Looks shiny at first, repeated listening reveals the fact there isn't any substance underneath.

that's been every Megadeth starting with Countdown. Razz

Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 12:36 pm

I maintain Youthanasia is a hugely underrated gem in the Megadeth catalogue. Slow but crunchingly heavy and weirdly melodic. It's just below Rust for me in terms of greatness.

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth - Sudden Death   Megadeth - Sudden Death Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Megadeth - Sudden Death
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next