Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers

Go down 
+16
Sutekh
ZetaReticuli
stepcousin
tohostudios
mc666
JBall_Z
GrandNational
Ultimate.Nightmare
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
Orion Crystal Ice
manny
Required Fields
Jesusandmetal23
exact33
sheets
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Empty
PostSubject: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 12:33 pm

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2010/07/ask-a-real-musician-5-classic-male-metal-singers/

Dickinson and Dio rate highest. Halford and King Diamond get mixed-to-positive reviews.

Sorry, Ozzy.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 12:43 pm

sheets wrote:
http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2010/07/ask-a-real-musician-5-classic-male-metal-singers/

Dickinson and Dio rate highest. Halford and King Diamond get mixed-to-positive reviews.

Sorry, Ozzy.

LOL!!! I bet Sharon is furious!!!

Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 1:03 pm

Tate should be in here.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 1:12 pm

exact33 wrote:
sheets wrote:

Sorry, Ozzy.

LOL!!! I bet Sharon is furious!!!

Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 1:22 pm

Excellent article but I wonder if her opinion on Halford and Ozzy would change if they used more recent recordings, I also thought her take on King Diamond was interesting.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:03 pm

Halford under Dickinson? Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Suspect
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:07 pm

Most voice teachers seem to hate rock vocalists and I can't say I blame them. They are nowhere near as disciplined and learned.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Most voice teachers seem to hate rock vocalists and I can't say I blame them. They are nowhere near as disciplined and learned.

That maybe true but I thought she was very fair and seemed to like the vocalist she evaluted, well for the expection of Ozzy.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Ahhhh, it's all rock and roll. Rock and roll was never suppose to follow rules of proper singing technique, or disciplines and rules of diction. Some of the greatest singers and entertainers in the world would never have made a dent if they were to follow the "rules" of some "classical singing teacher".

Metal novice
Metal novice
Ultimate.Nightmare

Number of posts : 96

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:25 pm

What? No Kiske!?!?!? Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_mad
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:51 pm

I think the most important thing a singing coach could teach a rock or metal singer is how to preserve one's voice, and I know numerous metal singers have sought out such advice. It's no good if you belt it out for five years and then completely lose it because you don't know how to take care of your throat.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:59 pm

Smokers gonna smoke. Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_razz Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers 456510
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 3:23 pm

I think whe was pretty fair. Now i'd like to hear the take on thrash singers. Scott, you're first.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 3:35 pm

Cool article, thanks. These would be my rankings of the 5:

Dio
Halford
Dickinson
Diamond
Ozzy
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 4:00 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
I think whe was pretty fair.

I think so too. I thought the evaluation was done with a fair-minded approach. She didnt bash them, well, except for Ozzy...

JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 4:04 pm

Cool article, thanks for posting.

Wow. Is it possible that with some vocal coaching Halford could have been even more amazing? Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers 604261
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 4:05 pm

JBall_Z wrote:

Wow. Is it possible that with some vocal coaching Halford could have been even more amazing? Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers 604261

I wonder what she would think of his singing on a more recent recording.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 4:06 pm

JBall_Z wrote:

he would have broken glass!!

Ultimate.Nightmare
Metal novice
Metal novice
Ultimate.Nightmare

Number of posts : 96

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 4:11 pm

exact33 wrote:
JBall_Z wrote:

he would have broken glass!!

Like that fruitcake from Nitro! Jim Gillette.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 5:08 pm

i think she pretty much nailed each one of them in most respects. although KD rarely bores me.

Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 5:21 pm

ok, was able to check it out. Here you people had me thinking she was ranking them somehow. Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_razz I think this is great for metal and for people outside of metal and there should be more things like this. And this is only very well known singers, think of all the work and talent further underground that could also be delved into. Fascinating. She is right for the most part, and I get what she means about Dickinson being so well rounded in delivery, but my thing with Bruce is how he constantly gets away with being flat in favor of his delivery. That's not a slam necessarily, just something I always wished he would work on but maybe he just couldn't be arsed to. Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Lol I'd want to get her take on Geoff Tate and Roberto Tiranti, who would be more in line with a classical tradition, but are also as theatrical as others, just with the sweeping stage actor stylings...
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 5:37 pm

Ask another "classically trained" pro and you'll hear something very different.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 5:51 pm

I'd like to hear her opinion of DC Cooper.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 7:01 pm

I think by-and-large she was pretty right with what she said, although I dont know squat about vocal training. I dont think anyone would ever confuse Ozzy with the greatest vocalists in the world.

I couldnt help but think that maybe her opinions wouldve been a bit different with tracks other than the ones given, like maybe "Beyond The Realms Of Death" or "Dont Talk To Strangers" or "Rhyme Of The Ancient Mariner".
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 7:16 pm

Even though Rob was still a little underdeveloped in his personality at the time of 'Sad Wings', his potential still shines right through, and this was easily seen, which I found cool. Yeah, I wonder what the reaction to 'Unleashed in the East' would be..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers   Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Classical singing teacher evaluates 5 great metal singers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next