Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

arranging your cds

Go down 
+34
adrian
troublemagnet
Starman
Shawn Of Fire
metallicleora
Sutekh
Grimmo
A Handful of Wayne
nevermore
Wargod
Required Fields
snooloui
powermacho
XYZ
Metal Misfit
jstate
Lari
Schbopo
Stender
exact33
TheDoctor'sScarf
chewie
scottmitchell74
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
Leatherface
manny
ultmetal
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
Addy
Metallic Blaze
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

arranging your cds - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 12:40 pm

I have all of mine (not very many anymore) in my computer desk. They're just grouped together by band and album.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
When it comes to arranging your cds, how do you do it?

Up til now, I've had all my cds arranged by category of genre.

But more and more bands are combining genres and blurring lines even further.

A few days I didn't know how to categorize one of my new CDs (Tegan and Sara), because they combine so many elements into their music.

I finally decided to stop arrranging my cds this way, and just to arrange them all alphabetically. Now they will all be mixed together. I guess it's time for me to just call music 'music'.

How about you guys?

I have mine sorted by genre and then in chronological order. When I move I am going to re-do it all and sort alphabetical by band and then chronological. its too hard to define genres anymore...

Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 12:52 pm

I just have loads of CDs tape and vinyl in card board boxes in my room...I dont even know what the hell I have any more. arranging your cds - Page 2 201269
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Quote :
I have mine sorted by genre

I used to keep all of my Christmas albums seperate from the rest of the collection, but when I re-did the catalog process on the spreadsheet, they got mixed in with everything else. Soundtracks are all grouped together, but are in the 'S' section and various artist comps are all together under 'V'.

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 4:20 pm

I do it based on where I got them. There's an internet section, an FYE section, a Hastings sections, etc.

I don't really know why.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 4:23 pm

No real order, just that all CDs by the same band are together. I can still find what I want quite fast. Helps that I only have maybe 500 CDs. I use the word 'only' loosely because I know how people on this board are. My wife certainly doesn't think it's too few.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 5:53 pm

These days they are arranged in the order they were purchased. The older part of the collection has some genre organization. Amazingly enough I do know where everything generally is. Would love to have the time for a proper A-Z arranging.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 6:24 pm

My problem for a long time has been the lack of appropriate space to put the damn things (numerous moves). I really hate the idea of buying more shelves, so there's only a small percentage of discs I have out and available to grab.

The rest of my discs are in boxes (same basic theory as Spec), except instead of just cataloging I've been ripping EVERYTHING, so I have digital copies on the computer that allows me to leave the boxes where they are. Still a long way to go on that project, but I'll get around to it eventually.

all variations of pop/rock/metal get combined and then alpha by artist/chronological. I have a separate system for my jazz discs, those are arranged by record label.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:42 pm

exact33 wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:
When it comes to arranging your cds, how do you do it?

Up til now, I've had all my cds arranged by category of genre.

But more and more bands are combining genres and blurring lines even further.

A few days I didn't know how to categorize one of my new CDs (Tegan and Sara), because they combine so many elements into their music.

I finally decided to stop arrranging my cds this way, and just to arrange them all alphabetically. Now they will all be mixed together. I guess it's time for me to just call music 'music'.

How about you guys?

I have mine sorted by genre and then in chronological order. When I move I am going to re-do it all and sort alphabetical by band and then chronological. its too hard to define genres anymore...

That's how I have mine.

Sorted by genre, then alphabetical by band. Then within each band's catalogue - it's chronological by release date. I'm very anal about this.

However, my biggest problem about arranging this way (like you said), it's getting harder and harder to define genres. You've got bands like In This Moment who totally mix genres together (metalcore, goth, melodic metal), and it is getting harder and harder to be able to really classify stuff by genre. For example - I've moved In This Moment three times. I also moved Disturbed a few times. What is Disturbed? They aren't really nu metal. They mix traditional metal with nu and alternative elements. Anyway ... it's just getting harder and harder to classify this way.

I think tomorrow I'm gonna arrange my whole collection by alphabetical only. No more genre separating for me.

Boy that's gonna be a project tomorrow.

arranging your cds - Page 2 798255
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:06 pm

If I had the space id do that too would be kick ass to have my own room devoted to that, but then again Id probobly have more lol
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:53 pm

I have no order. Jewel cases from CDs NOT bought within the last 3 years are in storage. ALL of my CDs are in the apartment and are either in binders or in the jewel cases they came in originally. I have piles of CDs and cases all around my computer desk. I actually need another gigantic binder to put away everything I've bought in the last six months or so.

I gave up any sort of order years ago but if when we ever get a house or two bedroom apartment, I'd love to buy a nice shelf or two for my albums.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 12:05 am

Alphabetized. Or at least they were for a while.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 1:26 am

I still haven't gotten to this yet. It's getting bigger by the minute.

Who knows when it will happen.

arranging your cds - Page 2 201269
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 2:09 am

I have them organized by genre. I have around 400 cd's and they don't look as much, so organized that way seems easy to find them.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Mine are all alphabetical, although the collection is really small at the moment.

One more thing, we need pictures!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 12:56 pm

Quote :
One more thing, we need pictures!

Here's one of me and the family from last Columbus Day.

arranging your cds - Page 2 1583389553_aa6ce3109e

Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 1:08 pm

arranging your cds - Page 2 Lol
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 6:27 pm

LOL MG!!!

arranging your cds - Page 2 328982

Please tell me that aint really you!!!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 6:54 pm

It's supposed to be rainy here tomorrow which is just the reason I need to put my new CD rack together.

Once I get it assembled and have re-filed The Vault, I'll take some pictures.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 7:10 pm

tohostudios wrote:
It's supposed to be rainy here tomorrow which is just the reason I need to put my new CD rack together.

Once I get it assembled and have re-filed The Vault, I'll take some pictures.

Sweet!!!

I should take some too when I'm done with my project!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 7:32 pm

It's actually going to take me longer to re-file everything than it will to put the rack together. I've assembled racks so many times that I barely need instructions. Re-filing everything and the "domino effect" it has on those CDs already filed takes forever.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 10:53 pm

I don't really arrange my CDs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 11:03 pm

Required Fields wrote:

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Required Fields wrote:

arranging your cds - Page 2 Lol

How do you find anything?

I guess that would work if you had less than about 500 or so. With 1,000 now, I have to have some kind of order.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 11:48 pm

But again, I'm a very anal person.

I'm also a perfectionist.

Everything in my 2200 sq. foot house is in order most of the time.

arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

arranging your cds
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: