Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

arranging your cds

Go down 
+34
adrian
troublemagnet
Starman
Shawn Of Fire
metallicleora
Sutekh
Grimmo
A Handful of Wayne
nevermore
Wargod
Required Fields
snooloui
powermacho
XYZ
Metal Misfit
jstate
Lari
Schbopo
Stender
exact33
TheDoctor'sScarf
chewie
scottmitchell74
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
Leatherface
manny
ultmetal
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
Addy
Metallic Blaze
38 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 7:35 am

When it comes to arranging your cds, how do you do it?

Up til now, I've had all my cds arranged by category of genre.

But more and more bands are combining genres and blurring lines even further.

A few days I didn't know how to categorize one of my new CDs (Tegan and Sara), because they combine so many elements into their music.

I finally decided to stop arrranging my cds this way, and just to arrange them all alphabetically. Now they will all be mixed together. I guess it's time for me to just call music 'music'.

How about you guys?
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 7:38 am

I have no order for mine, though I would like to have them in Alphabetical the thing is to do that Id want a bigger shelf for them so i dont have to stack them 2 deep per shelf
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 7:54 am

I made sure to get an extra bedroom just for my CDs when I was house shopping in 2007.

So I have a room just for them. LOL. I have racks that wrap around the whole room. I'm right at about 1,000 right now.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 7:58 am

I finally got all of mine on a spreadsheet and I had more than I thought Im in the 930s range myself
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:00 am

931 to be exact lol
Back to top Go down

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:03 am

I have been eliminating alot these days. Too many that never get played. I have placed most into paper sleeves and store them in storage boxes.

arranging your cds 0082603001521_LG

As for the organizing. I am cataloging everything in a spreadsheet, that way it doesn't make a difference where a cd is, I know where it is.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:06 am

I got all of mine on a spreadsheet the next step is to have them all on my website Im not even a 1/3 of the way on that one lol
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:14 am

I have mine alphabetized.

When I was house shopping 5 years ago, I specifically wanted a finished basement so that could be "The Vault". When I put my new rack together this weekend I'll have a 1500 CD rack, a 1000 CD rack and three 500 CD racks. The current CD count is 3341.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:19 am

I have'em in a cabinet, alphabetized by artist name, and in cases where I have lots of CDs by the same artist, those are arranged in the order in which they were released. Yeah, I'm anal compulsive like that.

As for keeping them catalogued, I just have a list in a Microsoft Word document on my PC that I update when necessary.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:21 am

Before CD Tracker went under 3 years ago I exported my collection to an Excel spreadsheet. I've maintained it ever since because entering them all into CD Tracker was too damn time consuming to not maintain it now.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:25 am

I keep mine Alphabetically and by release date.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:38 am

I use to keep them alphabetically, but it's now impossible to do so. For the most part I do have them alphabetically, but I also have piles of CDs that are not shuffled in and probably won't be unless I get more shelves and more room in my house.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:40 am

ultmetal wrote:
I use to keep them alphabetically, but it's now impossible to do so. For the most part I do have them alphabetically, but I also have piles of CDs that are not shuffled in and probably won't be unless I get more shelves and more room in my house.

That's the situation I'm in too hence the reason I bought another rack. I've got piles in the kitchen, basement and garage plus about 15 more on the passenger seat in my car.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:53 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
I keep mine Alphabetically and by release date.

I have them arranged the same way, alphabetically and by release date, I have the shelves in the dining area and one shelf in the bedroom. I have a good memory so I know what I own and I now use Rate Your Music to catagorize my music, at the moment I have 2452 CD's, 203 vinyl, 84 cassettes , 206 music DVD's and 90 VHS music tapes.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:58 am

I still have all my vinyl too (about 700 or so) even though I have nothing to play them on. Some of that stuff will never see a CD release.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18960

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:11 am

I have some in a couple of cases and the rest are in a cabinet in no order whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:19 am

SpectreFate wrote:
I have been eliminating alot these days. Too many that never get played. I have placed most into paper sleeves and store them in storage boxes.

arranging your cds 0082603001521_LG

As for the organizing. I am cataloging everything in a spreadsheet, that way it doesn't make a difference where a cd is, I know where it is.

I have thought about getting something like this but I am not sure if I would like or hate this.
Back to top Go down

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:25 am

Alphabetical by artist --> chronological by release
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 10:06 am

S wrote:

Same here. And catalogged in a spreadsheet. Currently at 1551 cd's (with a few more to add that are currently in transit). I have a few racks and a black locking cabinet set up in my basement/rec room/bar area.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 10:07 am

On the upper racks I have all the artists I have a bulk of work by, each chronologically, but the rows are not additionally alphabetic or anything. The other racks below just have the assortments of artists I have 1-3 albums by, compiled in a random manner with all the special packages (like the Antestor 'Det Tapte Liv'/'Forsaken' box) on the top of each stack.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 10:42 am

I keep them on shelves I bought for this purpose in the garage alphabetically by artist. However, it's alphabetical in a general way. I don't get specific with second letter of name or release date. It's good enough for me that you're in the "S" section if you're an "S" band.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 11:07 am

S wrote:

This way and some that are just hanging around until I get more shelf space.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 11:47 am

I specifically built shelves into my wall when I remodeled our basement.I sort them alphabetically then chronolgically for each band.Unfortunately, I now have too many to fit in the wall shelves and I've had to by a standalone rack. I at least have the room for it (and more,if that ever comes about).
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 11:50 am

It's a shame that most of us [married] men have been banished to our basements and garages to induldge in our habit. arranging your cds 201269

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 12:34 pm

Yeah, when we built our house I said "the garage is mine!" I have all of my hobbies and interests out there.

Music
Books
Train stuff
Weights
"Raiders/Halloween Corner"
Mini-fridge

Good enough for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

arranging your cds Empty
PostSubject: Re: arranging your cds   arranging your cds Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down