Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune

Go down 
+7
Eyesore
Addy
James B.
akeldama
Schbopo
manny
325ad
11 posters
AuthorMessage
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Empty
PostSubject: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Whos got it and what do you think?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 9:28 pm

I don't own it yet but I plan to buy it soon, but I don't have to hear it to know that it is going to be great.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 9:43 pm

Who?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 9:47 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Who?

No not the f**king Who, Jimi Hendrix!
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 9:50 pm

manny wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
Who?

No not the f**king Who, Jimi Hendrix!

I swear he played for the Raiders....
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 10:02 pm

I really like it a lot, so far the title track is my fave. I remember reading about the song Valleys Of Neptune on the liner notes of First Rays Of The New Rising Sun when it first came out and thought that was a great title and I so wanted to hear the song. I even have the Valleys Of Neptune single with the Wal-Mart exclusive song Peace In Mississippi where Jimi just friggin' jams.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 10:55 pm

Only had a chance to listen to it a few times, but so far the standout tracks are:

Stone Free - completely different arrangement of this classic tune, more soul oriented and very funky.

Valleys of Neptune - beautiful song, would love to hear what a full arrangement would have sounded like

Sunshine Of Your Love - instrumental jam of this classic tune, just plain RIPS!

Lover Man - another very different arrangement of a familar song, I like the slower groove on this take.

Ships Passing Through The Night - this is an earlier version of "Night Bird Flying", another pleasant surprise.

Red House - I was skeptical at first because of how many versions of this tune are floating around out there....but I was wrong. This version absolutely KILLS, could be one of the best I've heard, Hendrix was seriously ON during this session.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 11:31 pm

I have heard other versions of some of the tunes and like D said, the instrumental "Sunshine" is great. This version of "Red House" showcases Jimi's blues playing.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 8:52 am

If I get a chance I will be purchasing this today.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 9:31 am

Id like to get this for my wife as shes a huge Jimi fan
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 1:51 pm

How is it that this thing remained unreleased for so long? Anyone thinking maybe this wasn't complete but has been completed recently?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 1:54 pm

Eyesore wrote:
How is it that this thing remained unreleased for so long? Anyone thinking maybe this wasn't complete but has been completed recently?

Jimi was a notoriously sloppy housekeeper. His maid just found the master tapes waaaaaaaaayyyy in the back of the closet. Laughing very hard

But seriously folks... I heard a song from this on the local rock station a couple of weeks ago. Never been a huge Jimi fan but it sounded pretty cool to me. The DJ was a like a kid on Christmas morning when he intro'd the song. He sez "Ladies and gentlemen, I have been in radio for almost 30 years and I never dreamed that I'd get to say these words... here's a new song by Jimi Hendrix!"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Eyesore wrote:

For the last ten years the Hendrix estate was in another legal battle with another major record label, that claimed they owned rights to certain mastertapes of Hendrix recordings, this is one of many albums that you will see issued by his estate.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 2:31 pm

I need to get this. Any Hendrix is essential IMO.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 2:34 pm

Hey if Tupac can keep putting out albums after he's been dead then why not Jimi? hehe
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 2:55 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Some of the songs were assembled from multiple takes....for example the title track instrumental take is from 1969, the vocal line was taken from a version recorded the year earlier. Eddie Kramer did all the mixing and since he was Hendrix' personal recording engineer I can't think of anyone more qualified.

In addition Hendrix had a habit of re-arranging and recording his songs many times, in many different moods. I've heard 7 or 8 different arrangements of Lover Man for example.

According to the Hendrix estate, there are still hundreds and hundreds of hours of "officially" unreleased material. So expect many more CDs.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 4:21 pm

I've listened to it a couple of times. It's pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 7:45 pm

Listening to it right now and it is an excellent release, some of the tunes that are different takes sound nothing like the versions he choose (or where choosen for him after his death) to release, 'Stone Free' being radically different.

His guitar playing and soloing on the Cream instrumental 'Sunshine of Your Love' and 'Ships Passing Through the Night' show why 40 years after his death, fellow musicians, fans and guitar magazines still revere him. Hard to believe he was able to make such an impact, in a recording career that lasted only a few years (1967-1970) and by the age of 27.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 8:18 pm

I'd like to hear his version of (Sunshine)...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 8:21 pm

Here you go TZ

BTW this is not version that is on the new Hendrix album.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 8:43 pm

manny wrote:
Here you go TZ

BTW this is not version that is on the new Hendrix album.

It's a lot more funky than the original.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:09 am

The more I listen to this disc the more incredible it gets, about 3/4 of this record is jaw-dropping awesome.

Interesting that 2 of the songs included here were missing for over 30 years (cut off the original session reels). That's quite a discovery!
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 5:06 pm

I just found out there's a Target exclusive version with 2 extra songs (Slow Version & Trash Man) and we don't have a friggin' Target here in the boonies!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 10:24 pm

akeldama wrote:
I just found out there's a Target exclusive version with 2 extra songs (Slow Version & Trash Man) and we don't have a friggin' Target here in the boonies!

FYI. Both of those bonus tracks were pulled from the Dagger Records release "Hear My Music"...they fit better on that release. In fact, that's an essential Hendrix album to own.

http://www.daggerrecords.com/disc7.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune   Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jimi Hendrix - Valley of Neptune
Page 1 of 1