Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS

Go down 
+6
Olafsto
7thSaviour
kmorg
metalinmyveins
scottmitchell74
T-Roy
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

TOTAL MEDALS VS. GOLD MEDALS
Total medal count is the most important achievement
TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Vote_lcap30%TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Vote_rcap
 30% [ 3 ]
Total gold medals is the most important achievement
TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Vote_lcap70%TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Vote_rcap
 70% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Empty
PostSubject: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 12:17 pm

Okay, this is the second Olympics (including the Beijing Summer Games) that I as an American am a little embarrassed at our medias insistence on promoting the "Total Medal Count" over "Gold Medals". And let me just say, there is nothing to be ashamed about winning silvers and bronzes, I absolutely cheered and was elated for Ono and our silver in the Nordic Combined which was HUGE for our country!

BUT...it feels a little dirty and disengenuis to me. Most other countries count golds, period. Korea has 3 golds and is at the bottom of NBC's Total Medal Count....that's stilly. Germany has 3 golds but is #1 overall in the medal count...not surprising. Canada and France both have 2 golds but the good 'ol USA (one gold) is still second in the total medal count....LOL!

What do you guys think about this? I mean at the end of the day I want the USA to win the most medals, but if we don't win the most golds.....who cares about the most medals???
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 12:35 pm

I like to see Golds.

However, unexpected Silver or Bronzes can be just as important/exciting.

Jamaica - Gold in sprinting? Ho, hum....it's expected

Jamaica - A Bronze in bobsledding = hysteria for months.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:02 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

Jamaica - A Bronze in bobsledding = hysteria for months.
OH HELL YEAH.....the whole globe would be stoked for Jamaica!! I WOULD BE!! headbanger
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:48 pm

For myself, it's always been about the total medal count. Even though we were stuck on one, I knew our gold medal count would rise, and would look more balanced. It only took us a day to add 3 more golds , which puts the U.S at the top. Ask the Canadians how important the overall medal count means to them?

Below is why the overall medal count is important for the U.S. It wasn't all that long ago that the U.S sucked ass in the winter Olympics. I remember George Steinbrenner of all people was so sickened by the U.S and their performance in the 88 winter Olympics that he joined the USOC to fix things. Say what you want about George, but the mans presence garnered much better medal counts throughout the years for this country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Winter_Olympics
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 12:22 pm

The most medal in the history of the olympics is what counts Wink

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 12:58 pm

Well, yesterday, both went up for the US.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 1:02 pm

If Norway takes 1 more gold metal, they'll have 100 in total. I think tey have the total record in medals taken in winter olympics.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 1:39 pm

kmorg wrote:
If Norway takes 1 more gold metal, they'll have 100 in total. I think tey have the total record in medals taken in winter olympics.
I believe you are correct....but DON'T get too happy, WE'RE COMING FOR YOU!!!! \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 1:42 pm

Not counting this year, we have a total of 280 medals, the US has 216. Guess you'll have to work hard this year Very Happy

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 1:47 pm

2104 then!!!! Mark it on the calendar!!!
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 4:40 pm

The nation with the most medals wins unless there is a tie and then the tiebreaker is most golds.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 11:07 pm

CURSE YOU SVINDAL!!! CURSE YOU VIKINGS!!!!
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 2:35 am

T-Roy wrote:

TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS 395375
After a slow start, Norway is really starting to collect some gold medals.
Better get used to second places cowboy TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS 505193
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 8:26 am

Gold medals.

Other medals should only be used as tie-breakers.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 9:35 am

Olafsto wrote:
T-Roy wrote:

TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS 395375
After a slow start, Norway is really starting to collect some gold medals.
Better get used to second places cowboy TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS 505193

lol! TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS 395375

nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 10:11 am

yey england have one medal and its a gold. this is big news. hoping for good stuff in the curling though.

got to say the candian ice dancing pair were amazing. tessa virtue is well hot
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 10:17 am

Norway takes the gold in curling. Basic knowledge Smile

nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 10:22 am

well great britain won it eight years ago. our captain is pretty good
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4602

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 5:18 am

kmorg wrote:
Norway takes the gold in curling. Basic knowledge Smile

Surprise, surprise....Vikings can slide rocks and sweep ice! TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_razz

TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Lol

nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 9:39 am

i would love to have a go at curling, it looks like fun. id love to have a go on the bob sleigh too but i guess that requires a lot of knowledge to do for it to be even remotely safe Razz
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 11:23 pm

Bode Miller got his gold in the Super Combined! It was him and Svindal again! AWESOME! TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS 395375
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:40 am

The USA will win the overall medals count.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:05 am

7thSaviour wrote:
The USA will win the overall medals count.
Not so fast! Germany is only 4 or 5 behind us and tied in golds now. AND, going into bobsled events....they will get more, it's just a matter of how many and which ones. I don't count us for many more than what we have now with the exception of a women's gold or silver in hockey and possibly a medal for the men's hockey team. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:47 am

Is curling a the biggest joke or what? It takes skill, granted, but a sport? It's a game.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 9:59 am

TheNazgul wrote:
Is curling a the biggest joke or what? It takes skill, granted, but a sport? It's a game.
I'M WITH YOU BROTHER. I don't get it at all. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS   TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TOTAL MEDAL COUNT VS. GOLD MEDALS
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next