Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...

Go down 
+7
manny
Schbopo
A Handful of Wayne
scottmitchell74
MetalGuy71
T-Roy
Fat Freddy
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Empty
PostSubject: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 12:59 pm

I guess this news doesn't come as much of a surprise, though I have to admit I'm a little bummed. I was never a huge fan of his old show, but I've been watching Conan on and off since he took over "Tonight" last year and thought he was doing a pretty good job. He's been particularly funny this past week or so during all the controversy between him, Leno, and NBC. He hasn't been holding back at all during his monologues, they've been freakin' brutal! Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... 201269

Conan O'Brien told NBC good riddance Thursday in a $45 million deal for his exit from "The Tonight Show," allowing Jay Leno to return to the late-night program he hosted for 17 years.
Under the deal, which came less than eight months after O'Brien took the reins from Leno, O'Brien will get more than $33 million, NBC said. The rest will go to his 200-strong staff in severance.
Compensation for O'Brien's staff and crew was the final hurdle in negotiations. O'Brien was said to have been "dug in" on the issue out of concern for the workers, while NBC said this week that it had already agreed to pay "millions of dollars to compensate every one of them" and deemed it a public relations "ploy."
On Wednesday night's show, speaking of a push to get a severance deal for his staff from NBC, O'Brien joked, "At first they thought I was gullible. They said the staff would be taken to a big farm, where they'd be allowed to run free forever."
O'Brien's final show will be Friday, with Tom Hanks scheduled to appear as well as Will Ferrell — his first guest as "Tonight" host last June.
Reruns of "Tonight" with O'Brien had already been scheduled for next week. It was unclear how NBC will fill the two-week gap after that, before beginning its Olympics coverage.
Leno will return to "Tonight" on March 1.

http://tv.yahoo.com/the-tonight-show-with-conan-o-39-brien/show/44070/news/tv-news.en.ap.org/tv-news.en.ap.org-20100121-us_tv_leno_o_brien

Wow....I wish I had a job where I'd work for only eight months and then get paid $45 million to go away.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:02 pm

Can't stand him. But yeah....wonder if my employer will ever approach me with a similar offer!!?? LOL!

Wonder if he will indeed go to Fox. They've never had a late night show have they?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:04 pm

T-Roy wrote:

Wonder if he will indeed go to Fox. They've never had a late night show have they?

Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... O_5WFgTFOTDEgT00l
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:05 pm

T-Roy wrote:

Fox has tried to enter the late night arena a couple of times over the years and it's always crashed and burned. Early in the networks' existence Joan Rivers (gag!!) had a short lived late night talk show, and the equally short lived "Chevy Chase Show" is one of TV's most legendary bombs. I think he lasted six weeks.

I think right now they have some kinda variety/talk show with Wanda Sykes on late night but only on Saturdays (where MAD TV used to be).

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:06 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
T-Roy wrote:

Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... O_5WFgTFOTDEgT00l

Arsenio was syndicated, so it might have aired on some FOX stations but it wasn't strictly a Fox show. Here in the NYC area it aired on Channel 9 WOR-TV, which at the time was an independent station (remember those?).

Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:07 pm

Hey, what was that Dana Carvy show or whatever back in the late 90's or early 00's I think? Was that FOX? It was funny and didn't even make it a full season if I remember right.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:09 pm

T-Roy wrote:
Hey, what was that Dana Carvy show or whatever back in the late 90's or early 00's I think? Was that FOX? It was funny and didn't even make it a full season if I remember right.

Dana Carvey's show was on ABC if I remember correctly. During prime time too, which is probably why it caused such an uproar. If they'd put him on at 11:30 or later he might've lasted longer.

Then again, considering that the very first sketch on Dana's show featured him as President Clinton -- tearing open his shirt to reveal multiple nipples, from which he fed milk to a bunch of babies, children, puppies, and kittens (remember that?) -- he was probably doomed from the git-go no matter what network he was on. Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_lol

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:09 pm

Leno's show crashes so he goes running back to the, Tonight Show? Am I reading this right?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:11 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Leno's show crashes so he goes running back to the, Tonight Show? Am I reading this right?

Yep. Welcome to last week. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:13 pm

Hah. Other then sports I don't watch a lot of TV. Hey, i'm only a week behind, that's good for me.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:26 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Then again, considering that the very first sketch on Dana's show featured him as President Clinton tearing open his shirt to reveal multiple nipples from which he fed milk to a bunch of babies, children, puppies, and kittens (remember that?), he was probably doomed from the git-go no matter what network it was. Laughing
told you that was AWESOME!!!!! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:28 pm

T-Roy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Then again, considering that the very first sketch on Dana's show featured him as President Clinton tearing open his shirt to reveal multiple nipples from which he fed milk to a bunch of babies, children, puppies, and kittens (remember that?), he was probably doomed from the git-go no matter what network it was. Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_lol

told you that was AWESOME!!!!! Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... 201269

Oh yea, I thought it was hilarious too, I was a Carvey fan, I watched that show for the entire time it ran (which was probably only something like six weeks... haha)... but I would've hated to have been a switchboard operator at ABC the night that Clinton sketch aired and all the angry old ladies in Peoria called up to complain... Laughing

Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:34 pm

ROTFLMAO....so true.

Member the skit where they were pulling stupid pranks that made themselves look like idiots? The Pizza drive through. Orders a ton of pizzas, pays the guy and then screetches off without the pizzas, screaming and slapping five cuz they ripped them off so bad! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:37 pm

I was more of a Thicke of the Night fan myself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cGwcR9WHAM

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:40 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I was more of a Thicke of the Night fan myself...

Ohhh man, I remember that one. How'bout "The Magic Hour" (Magic Johnson's talk show)?

Or... "The Pat Sajak Show?"

Or..."The Dennis Miller Show?"

Or... "Into The Night With Rick Dees?"

The late-night TV graveyard is littered with skeletons... Conan O'Brien joins some pretty interesting company. Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_lol

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:43 pm

If I were Conan, I'd take my payout, leave LA and move somewhere where 32.5 million is still alot of money to live out my days.

Somewhere like here:

Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... 42442
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:43 pm

Quote :
The late-night TV graveyard is littered with skeletons... Conan O'Brien joins some pretty interesting company. Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_late_night_network_TV_programs

Rupert Pupkin is mysteriously & erroneously absent from that list.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:46 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
If I were Conan, I'd take my payout, leave LA and move somewhere where 32.5 million is still alot of money to live out my days.

Somewhere like here:

That's perfect for Conan. lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 2:02 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

You know's you's in the rough part of town when the trailers have bars on the windows.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 2:09 pm

Quote :
You know's you's in the rough part of town when the trailers have bars on the windows.

Gotta protect all that NASCAR memorabilia. Them's keepsakes.

Is the barbed wire fencing keeping bad folks out or the trailer people in?

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 2:27 pm

I love Conan and hope he lands somewhere where his talents can shine.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 2:43 pm

I don't really watch much of the "Late Night" programming, but when I do, it's usually Letterman and even then, I'm asleep before the guests roll out. Leno seems kinda boring to me.

A few years ago, Comedy Central ran repeats of Conan and I thought he was pretty funny. I don't think I saw him one on this new Tonight Show, but I've been seeing lotsa clips of the monologues. All this drama seems to bring out some pretty funny jabs in all directions.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:28 pm

Saw this on another board. Sums thing up pretty nicely...

Quote :
this is classic.

nbc moves leno from 1130 while he's got great ratings and puts his show at 10, which doesn't work.

conan suffers from the fact that there are no ratings at 10.

nbc blames conan and fires him.

nbc pissed conan off to the point that he doesn't give a sh*t what they think anymore and he just wants to be funny.

conan's ratings go way up.

now nbc is going to give the show back to a guy that everyone thinks is an a**hole just as conan's ratings are on the upswing.

what a mess nbc is.

Not to mention they still have to pay Conan $33 million to go away, possibly to another network where he could potentially beat Leno again. Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... 201269

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:52 pm

Yea this whole thing is crap. I loved watching Conan back when he used to be on at 12:30 and I was getting used to seeing him at 11:30 and now hes going to be gone!? NBC just keeps getting worse. I like Leno occasionally but he just keeps doing the same things over and over where as Conan comes up with some pretty funny stuff and is pretty consistant. He can also laugh at himself when something doesn't go right and I think thats great. Its a shame they didn't give Conan atleast a year or 2 to let him get used to the show. Leno wasn't an instant hit when he started. I get aggrivated just thinking about this and its not even my show. I just liked Conan for so long I just think its stupid. Screw you NBC....SCREW YOU!!!!

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 7:25 pm

How much do you want to bet this was all some sort of hoax and they're really good friends and on Jay's first night back Conan's somehow going to take the show back?

Wishful thinking?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...   Conan O'Brien gets shown the door... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Conan O'Brien gets shown the door...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next