Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?

Go down 
+14
Lurideath
Troublezone
mc666
James B.
nevermore
Temple of Blood
Coma
kmorg
manny
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
Thrasher73
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Empty
PostSubject: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:16 am

For the older guys, which record label did you like better growing up? Metal Blade or Combat. Make mine Metal Blade. I still listen to the majority of their classic roster. Personally, I believe if it weren't for Brian Slagel, soooo many bands may never have been signed that have totally influenced the face of metal today. Sad to say Slagel's turned Metal Blade into a bit of a joke these days. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:19 am

To be honest, I had a hard time telling those labels apart back in the day. But the majority of albums I listened to were released under the Metal Blade moniker. I bought tons of albums based solely on the fact they were on that label.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:20 am

I'd have to go with Metal Blade as well.Looking back through my collection lots of greats were released under them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:23 am

Hmmm... tough one.

Combat/Relativity had Savatage and Mercyful Fate, plus they released early stuff by a bunch of the Noise Records bands (Helloween, etc.) so I had quite a lot of those albums. They also released numerous goodies by Nuclear Assault and Scatterbrain to name just a few.

Metal Blade on the other hand had Slayer, Anvil, Heretic, Trouble, and countless other great bands on their roster at one time or another.

I guess it's a draw for me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:28 am

It's a draw for me too - if an album came out on either Combat or Metal Blade, they were must buys back in the day.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:40 am

I never gave much thought to the record labels back then, so I don't know if I have any preference. If I were to take a look, I probably have more Metal Blade stuff but like Joker said, back in the day either label were usually "must-haves".

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:41 am

Metal Blade was one I was into early on. But Combat, Shrapnel, Megaforce, Noise were all great labels in the 80's. In the late 80's and early 90's, I purchased just about anything released on Intense Records, and most of the metal released on R.E.X. as well.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:42 am

Let's not forget MegaForce Records (Metallica's KILL'EM ALL and S.O.D. to name just a few) and RoadRunner Records (which sucks now but had a killer lineup of thrash bands on their roster in the early days)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:45 am

Shrapnel had a nice roster of shredders back then too. Was RoadRunner Records and RoadRacer the same company, just a name change at some point?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:50 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I never gave much thought to the record labels back then, so I don't know if I have any preference. If I were to take a look, I probably have more Metal Blade stuff but like Joker said, back in the day either label were usually "must-haves".

Just comparing current & former artist lists on Wikipedia, I think I might have more Combat bands. Lotsa Megaforce too. Huh, who knew? Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? 589207

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:54 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shrapnel had a nice roster of shredders back then too. Was RoadRunner Records and RoadRacer the same company, just a name change at some point?

They were always "RoadRunner" in Europe but I believe they named the U.S. division "RoadRacer" early on to avoid infringing on the (copyrighted) cartoon character name. Somewhere along the way they must've cut a deal with Warner Brothers and were able to drop the "Racer" and become "RoadRunner" worldwide.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 10:56 am

It is almost a draw for me, both labels introduced me to so many bands, that I considered underground bands back then.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 11:05 am

Pure Metal was another label in the 80's that I would purchase anything they released. I picked up Whitecross, Saint, Lightforce, etc.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 11:09 am

ultmetal wrote:
Pure Metal was another label in the 80's that I would purchase anything they released. I picked up Whitecross, Saint, Lightforce, etc.

Yep - me too! Don't forget about Bride's early stuff was on Pure Metal, as was Tempest (Jamie Rowe of Guardian's first) and the awful Rosanna's Raiders.......
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 11:17 am

I never really knew about Combat as a child/youngster. Noise, RoadRunner and Metal Blade where the labels I knew about, and bought albums from. Oh, and Music For Nations.

Metal student
Metal student
Coma

Number of posts : 128

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 11:38 am

Combat without a doubt. I was more into Bay Area thrash, and most of the bands from the Bay Area were on Combat - Forbidden, Exodus, Heathen, Blind Illusion, Possessed, etc. Combat also licensed most of the Noise stuff in the USA (Kreator, Voivod, Helloween, Deathrow, Celtic Frost, etc.).

Add Agent Steel, Forced Entry, Dark Angel, Nuclear Assault, Cyclone Temple, DBC, Death, Devastation, Megadeth and the crossover bands like Agnostic Front, Crumbsuckers, Ludichrist and The Accused, and you just can't go wrong.

I like quite a few Metal Blade bands as well, but they were more into the classic heavy metal sound than thrash metal. Some of the bands on their roster were also quite generic. I like Sacred Reich, Flotsam and Jetsam and Slayer a lot, but I prefer Exodus & Forbidden a lot more. ;-)
Back to top Go down
http://thethrashzone.byethost32.com/df-trade.html
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 11:45 am

I guess I was into Metal Blade and Megaforce before Combat because I was into metal before thrash was really around. I remember getting the first Metal Massacre and being blown away by much of the music on that. Metallica, Ratt and Cirith Ungol all became favorites of mine from that compilation.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 11:56 am

Probably MB because they had FATES WARNING.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:09 pm

I love that classic power metal sound so I have to go with MB but both had some great bands.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25827

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:21 pm

It's a draw for me. Both labels released so much great stuff it's really difficult to choose which was better.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 1:07 pm

Combat has that nostalgia factor cause you don't see much product around anyplace with that name on it anymore. If you do, it gets the heart pumping. You know you found something kewl.

Music For Nations had some great bands and quite the variety of styles.
Metal Blade gets a thumbs up for the Metal Massacre series but went downhill pretty quick (IMHO)

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 1:24 pm

COMBAT by a mile! Combat only released one bad album, ever, in my book [Two-Bit Theif].
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 1:37 pm

to be honest, growing up i don't think i had a preference between the two. looking back now, i'd probably say Combat though.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 1:44 pm

I don't know which label i had more albums from but it seemed like Combat had the better thrash stuff and Metal Blade was a mixed bag of metal. Combat was to thrash in the 80's that Victory records was to hardcore in the 90's.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 1:46 pm

My vote would go to Combat. I had lots of their releases back in the day!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?   Combat Records or Metal Blade Records? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Combat Records or Metal Blade Records?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next