Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Musical Oddities

Go down 
+10
Hamer12
spiritoradio
SideShowDisaSter
Fat Freddy
SAHB Healer
GrandNational
AchrisK
Smindas
mc666
Shiney
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Musical Oddities - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 3:08 pm

mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Quote :
How about Bad Acid Trip? Anyone familiar
Bad Acid Trip are a lot like Bungle. Great moments, but not really a great band.
the same can be said about SOAD. minus the "great moments" part.
And the same can be said about all your favorite bands.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 4:35 pm

LSD were great...I love that disc. Their singer's real name was CHRIS STAN...supposedly a very wealthy fellow....the homelss bum thing was just schtick!!

I believe their guitarist or bassist went on to be in he CLAM ABUSE project with GINGER of THE WILDHEARTS (a fantastic f****' band!!!)

PIGMY LOVE CIRCUS were very close to plain ol' primordial biker rock but with some odd veers of that path now and again....

I sort of dug the band THELONIOUS MONSTER as well...not terribly heavy or metal but neato!!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 4:54 pm

Anybody remember Scatterbrain? They were kinda like Faith No More with a more juvenile sense of humor. Very weird but hella-fun band!!
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 5:03 pm

Scatterbrain were pretty good. I've got Here Comes Trouble, and I break it out every now and again. WHOLE lot of genres smashed together with that band.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 5:03 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Anybody remember Scatterbrain? They were kinda like Faith No More with a more juvenile sense of humor. Very weird but hella-fun band!!

That sounds a lot like another fun band, Schubert, whom I think were Swiss. Half the songs on their disc rule, and the other half is comedy. The CD I have is called "Toilet Songs"; which is too bad because some of their songs deserve a lot better marketing than sending them out with a title like that. Definitely a goofy twist on the FNM thing.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 7:48 pm

SCATTERBRAIN were formed by members of LUDICHRIST...I believe....

"Here Comes Trouble" is great but after that and with the next 2 albums the joke got a little thin....

I was a huge JANE'S ADDITION fan...I got "Nothing's Shcoking" in 1988 not long after it's release and wore that sucker out!!! Fantastic disc.. There was nothng else like it..and as far as an atmospheric slab of music...It still holds it's own to this day...

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 8:54 pm

Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention. 'Nuff said Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 11:25 am

Shiney wrote:
SCATTERBRAIN were formed by members of LUDICHRIST...I believe....

"Here Comes Trouble" is great but after that and with the next 2 albums the joke got a little thin....

Yup, Scatterbrain were formerly LudiChrist, who were more hardcore/thrash. The Scatterbrain song "Down With The Ship" is actually a re-working of an old Ludichrist song.

I agree, "Here Comes Trouble" has aged well but the other albums, ehhh, they're hit and miss. They were a hell of a funny live band too. I saw'em when they were touring for the SCAMBOOGERY album in early 92 and the singer (Tommy Christ) did a few songs while wearing Budweiser pajamas and bunny slippers, then at the end the whole band came out for the encore wearing dresses (Tommy was wearing a nun's habit!) and they covered Motley Crue's "Girls, Girls, Girls" (and they did it horribly, by the way, but I assume that was on purpose.) It was one of the most fun shows I ever went to. I even stage dived (dove?) during the classic "Don't Call Me Dude!"
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 11:33 am

Eyesore wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Quote :
How about Bad Acid Trip? Anyone familiar
Bad Acid Trip are a lot like Bungle. Great moments, but not really a great band.
the same can be said about SOAD. minus the "great moments" part.
And the same can be said about all your favorite bands.
maybe, but not by me. i'm the only one whose opinion i give a sh*t about. Razz

Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 11:46 am

Kings X are too good to be played on radio, most average peoples heads would explode upon hearing something that good. Faith No More just got better after Epic. Primus are still around, also an awesome trio. Mr Bungle, Tomahawk, all bands that deserved to make it & never really did. Instead we get Brittany Spears & Backstreet Boys & other absolute GARBAGE such as that force fed to the mindless sheep that listen to top 40 radio.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 1:14 am

No love for Gorguts? Anyways, they are possibly the most out-there technical death metal ever. Unlike anything I have heard. Not something you will immediately pick up and love, but with time, when you begin to notice just how complex and brilliantly written it all is, the time you put into listening to them becomes worth it. Possibly, the most original death metal band I've ever listened to.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 12:25 pm

I have tried many times to get into Obscura, and it is just too technical. There is a point where music becomes too technical for me to enjoy. The point where there is not enough musical coherance. No developement of any of the themes presented. Only variation. Variation is essential IMO to keep music interesting, but I think it is much more musically effective when you vary a theme, and not every riff.

Maybe if I were a musician I could appreciate it more.

ack
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 12:32 pm

MIND OVER FOUR - "Half Way Down"

My favorite "weird" music.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 4:25 pm

I like MIND OVER FOUR....I only have "The Goddess" on cassette...
.what is "Half Way Down "like????

Anyone remember the band LAST CRACK?

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 4:30 pm

Quote :
Kings X are too good to be played on radio, most average peoples
heads would explode upon hearing something that good.

Hamer12 is my new favorite poster.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 4:40 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

yeah,I figured no one else would remember these guys.Lots of fun!!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 5:37 pm

Shiney wrote:

Last Crack was from somewhere here in Wisconsin. Interesting band with a lot of personality, but I don't really like them. If you are interested in obtaining their disc PM me.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 8:39 pm

Shiney wrote:

Apparently someone does... their two albums were part of the Roadrunner Records reissue series that were put out by Metal Mind Productions in Poland a while back...
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2007 8:23 am

Here's a few more to throw in, Masters Of Reality and Galactic Cowboys. Masters Of Reality are an excellent band having a retro 60's Doorsy psych proto-metal sound from the late 80's onward, apparently were denied Mtv headbangers ball rotation because of being old despite Riki Rachtman's championing of the band.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2007 8:30 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

I remember it took me years to track down "Here Comes Trouble". I heard/saw "Down with the Ship" years ago on Headbangers Ball and never knew who it was. I would ask all my friends "Who does that song with all the different famous guitar riffs?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Musical Oddities   Musical Oddities - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Musical Oddities
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2