Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"

Go down 
+9
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
DeathCult
Neuropete
XYZ
thejokeriv
Schbopo
akeldama
candlemass
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Empty
PostSubject: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 11:30 am

I think there are far more follow up lp's by bands that did well, rather than falling into the "sophmore slump."......how many really define this adage?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Living Sacrifice-Nonexistent The lyrics and music were cool but DJ's vocals sucked IMO.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 8:32 pm

I would say Kiss, Twisted Sister and Raven, the problem w/that though is they all sucked! lol!
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 9:40 pm

candlemass wrote:
I would say Kiss, Twisted Sister and Raven, the problem w/that though is they all sucked! lol!

You fail.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 10:29 pm

According to a certain review an nuber of years ago, Ultimatum's PoD would qualify. Though I think it is their best lp! 🤘
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 10:54 am

Guns N Roses (but I am not a fan - lol!)
You could make a case for The Darkness (though I like the second album too!)
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 12:01 am

I'll take a stab;

Spin Doctors for sure
Kingdom Come
The Knack
Gary Numan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 12:04 am

candlemass wrote:

Kingdom Come

I'm completely opposite on that one. I hated the debut album, but liked In Your Face.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 1:40 am

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 11:50 am

xyz wrote:
Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets

I actually like "A Saucerful of Secrets". It is not as good as "Piper at the Gates of Dawn", but I would not call it a slump either.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 12:00 pm

candlemass wrote:

I completely disagree, You Can't Stop Rock N Roll, Hotter Than Hell, and Wiped Out were all great
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 12:34 pm

Sophmore Slump often refers to sales, which I really don't pay any attention to. I look at it more in the artistic sense. In that regards, it's actually hard for me to come up with examples.

Except maybe "Don't Look Back" by Boston...not a terrible album, but almost dead on arrival compared to the debut.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 12:38 pm

Quote :
Except maybe "Don't Look Back" by Boston...not a terrible album, but almost dead on arrival compared to the debut.

Not having "been there" when the Boston phenomenon was at it's peak, I tend to like DLB better than the debut, because the debut is WAYYY overplayed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 1:30 pm

I was there and DLB more then held it's own. The debut was such a monster there was almost no way it could match up in sales.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Asia's second was considered a let down, but I thought it was good, Don't cry is a great song.

Anyone remember Candlebox? I liked the first, but the second sucked.

White Lion's second was a bomb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 2:02 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

What? Their second was great. It was their most successful. scratch
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 2:30 pm

Arcade-A/2 totally sucked IMO.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 3:03 pm

akeldama wrote:
Arcade-A/2 totally sucked IMO.

I don't remember the 1st one being very good. Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" 352445 A/2 must've really sucked hard.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 4:29 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

What? Their second was great. It was their most successful. scratch

I don;t remember it selling anywhere near as much as Pride and I didn't like it as much
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 4:36 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

I don;t remember it selling anywhere near as much as Pride and I didn't like it as much

Oh. Pride is their second album. Fight To Survive is their first. Smile
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 4:43 pm

Little Caesar - Influence

I love the S/T and though the second one has some good songs, it's a much weaker album IMO.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 6:39 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Oh. Pride is their second album. Fight To Survive is their first. Smile

Wow - I learned something new about Metal!!!!! In that case, that one should go into the defied category!!!!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 10:39 pm

I love the 2nd Kingdom Come album just as much as their debut and I think Pride is a great album too, although nowhere near as great as Fight To Survive. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 7:49 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Asia's second was considered a let down, but I thought it was good, Don't cry is a great song.

Yeah, I like that album too. I think people were dissapointed with it because it was less prog and more AOR.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 1:13 am

Some might say Velvet Revolver's "Libertad", although I like the album very much.

Not sure if Trixter's first was a success, but their 2nd was really a downer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"   Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Albums That Defined The "Sophmore Slump"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next