Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ever heard a cover...

Go down 
+8
thejokeriv
DeathCult
MetalGuy71
manny
Fat Freddy
mc666
Chairman_Smith
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Ever heard a cover... Empty
PostSubject: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 11:10 pm

... by a band, and it was so good you checked out their original material and was let down by their original songs?

I liked Fightstar's cover of Fear Of The Dark but when I checked out their originals I went scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 12:03 am

Fear Factory's cover of the song "Cars", loved that but I was never a fan of their other material.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 12:28 am

Nazareth's This Flight Tonight was covered by Iron Savior & it's the only good song they ever released imo.

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 4:14 am

detuned wrote:
Fear Factory's cover of the song "Cars", loved that but I was never a fan of their other material.

Complete on board with that statement.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 10:38 am

Like I'm sure a lot of people did, I picked up Diamond Head's BEHOLD THE BEGINNING years ago because I liked Metallica's covers of their stuff. After listening to it a few times I wondered what all the whoop de doo was about. I liked the D.H. stuff OK but didn't think they were anything mindblowing.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:01 am

I checked out Slade because of Quiet Riot's version of 'Cum on Feel the Noize'
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:06 am

I always thought The Bangles cover of 'Hazy Shade of Winter' from the Less Than Zero soundtrack was a wicked cool version, but I'd never considder myself a fan of their other music. Sure, I've walked like an Egyptian on occasion, but who here hasn't? Ever heard a cover... 811939

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:06 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Like I'm sure a lot of people did, I picked up Diamond Head's BEHOLD THE BEGINNING years ago because I liked Metallica's covers of their stuff. After listening to it a few times I wondered what all the whoop de doo was about. I liked the D.H. stuff OK but didn't think they were anything mindblowing.

lame Well Smurf you! Diamond Head happens to be one of my all time favorites!
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:12 am

DeathCult wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

...I knew somebody was gonna flog me for that one. Laughing Don't get me wrong, I dig'em, but they didn't kick my ass the way I expected to after all the years of hype.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:15 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

...I knew somebody was gonna flog me for that one. Laughing Don't get me wrong, I dig'em, but they didn't kick my ass the way I expected to after all the years of hype.

Lightning To The Nations and Canterbury are really the ones to have. Now that Im thinking about it, I think some of Behold The Beginning is re-recorded actually. But, they're great, better than the covers I say!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:16 am

manny wrote:

I also made this mistake
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:17 am

Like you Freddy, I discovered Diamond Head through Metallica and the Behold the Beginning album, however, I enjoyed it. Just listened to it not long ago. Great album.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 1:40 pm

Agree on Diamond Head, good but no where near as good as the Metallica covers.

What about Quiet Riot covering themselves with "slick black cadilac", when I heard the original I was like "WTF?"

Or the Wicked Lester version of "She"

Or any Bruce song that Blaze sang live......
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 2:19 pm

DeathCult wrote:
manny wrote:

I also made this mistake

Laughing I didn't consider it a mistake!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 3:18 pm

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
detuned wrote:

Complete on board with that statement.

That explains why I own your Fear Factory albums now Laughing
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 8:22 pm

KISS's 2000 Man 🤘 blows away the Rolling Stones' version sign
Back to top Go down
Jedilink
Metal student
Metal student
Jedilink

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 10:52 pm

Haha, after hearing Fightstar's version of "Breaking The Law" by Priest, I made sure to NOT hear them ever again. In fact I posted a blog about how stupid it was. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jedilink
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 10:56 pm

The Gods Made Heavy Metal by MANOWAR

(now before all the tr00 metal purist smite me with their hammers...XP )

I don't think it was a 'bad' song, I just think the cover done by PARAGON was far more "powerful", just a more wholesome sound.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 2:29 am

detuned wrote:

I'm the exact opposite. I really liked Fear Factory's cover, and that turned me on to their other material.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 7:48 am

Hammerfall's cover of "Back to Back" peaked my curiousity for Pretty Maids. I like Pretty Maids ok, but they weren't anywhere near as heavy as I had expected. I was originally pretty let down, but have grown to like the band over the years.

Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:44 am

ultmetal wrote:
Hammerfall's cover of "Back to Back" peaked my curiousity for Pretty Maids. I like Pretty Maids ok, but they weren't anywhere near as heavy as I had expected. I was originally pretty let down, but have grown to like the band over the years.

Agree, I did the same thing. While the original has some of that 'originality' factor to it, HammerFall puts a better sound to it.

The one cover that HammerFall did do that doesn't beat the original is Ravenlord by Stormwitch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ever heard a cover...   Ever heard a cover... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ever heard a cover...
Page 1 of 1